Ultraskin Tip Review>>>Soft-Medium-Hard

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I've got one on my shaft now like the way it plays but it keeps mushrooming not sure if the tip is just to soft for me or if maybe I got bad one idk I've heard nothing but good things hints why I got one anyone have this happen? I was told it was a med

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I received some ultraskin tips some weeks ago.
They are easy to install.
I have played with both hard and medium. I don't feel much difference between medium and hard. I normally play with tiger onyx tip, and there is no big difference - only the price being nicer on Tom Hay's tips.

The only problem I have had was with the soft tip. I installed it on a friends cue, and it popped off after 2-3 hours. This is the first tip I have installed since I started using Tiger CA glue, that has popped off. I have installed about 30 tips since I got that glue, and before that it did also only happen once with a moori tip after long time of play, and the tip was pretty worn down (same persons cue). I did install the tip just like I always do sanding off to roughen the backside of the tip, apply glue, waiting for at least two hours, cutting the tip and sanding on lathe. I guess I was just unlucky. Have to mention that the same person also managed to break a no-collar shaft some months ago. Any ideas?

Sand the tip and then prep it with CA thin.... dab off the excess and hit it with kicker.... lightly sand and install as usual............it won't pop off

Kim...................

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Real reviews from the people who use them

I think this is about 4 pages long, enjoy

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I've put a Ultrakins M on my R360 on the weekend.

I was a bit disappointed - it was considerably harder than a Tiger Onyx (which I already consider as a harder medium). Shaping was also a bit hard due to it being very very hard for my taste (I shaped a Onyx a few weeks before with the same tools).
For me, I needed to sand with an 80 and then a 120 and cut some grooves in for the super glue gel to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong:
- Each layer is very consistent and the leather is of high quality
- There are a lot of layers to work through - it will last a long time :smile:
- It's very black :thumbup:
- Surface after shaping and roughing up is just like you would image one to be, very nice
- It holds chalk very well
- Sidewall can be polished up easily
- Feedback is nice, like an Onyx but less springy and very direct

Is there a chance of softening it up a bit?

Cheers,
M

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So, I've put a Ultrakins M on my R360 on the weekend.

I was a bit disappointed - it was considerably harder than a Tiger Onyx (which I already consider as a harder medium). Shaping was also a bit hard due to it being very very hard for my taste (I shaped a Onyx a few weeks before with the same tools).
For me, I needed to sand with an 80 and then a 120 and cut some grooves in for the super glue gel to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong:
- Each layer is very consistent and the leather is of high quality
- There are a lot of layers to work through - it will last a long time :smile:
- It's very black :thumbup:
- Surface after shaping and roughing up is just like you would image one to be, very nice
- It holds chalk very well
- Sidewall can be polished up easily
- Feedback is nice, like an Onyx but less springy and very direct

Is there a chance of softening it up a bit?

Cheers,
M

Try the pro. I've switched to them on every shaft

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ALWAYS GREAT QUALITY-
I USE HARD TIPS...
GREAT SERVICE TOO...
I get the 10 tip package-" awesome deal...Give ALOT OF THEM AWAY-
NO COMPLAINTS.
The tips really last , AND THEY DONT CHANGE EITHER-
DEFINITELY BEST TIP I HAVE ENCOUNTERED-
TRIED ALOT TOO

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone try Tom's new SIB tips?

What's an SIB tip?

So far I've tried the Hard and Medium. I like the medium very much. I liked the hard too but I did have some trouble with glazing. Honestly, I find that I need to rough up the medium a lot too. I'm relatively new to layered tips. Maybe I haven't figured out the right technique yet?

Tonight I tossed a Pro on my main playing shaft. I've never had anything but harder tips on my cues. I figured I'd just give it a try and see what it's like. Hope to play tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, these are still the only layered tips I've ever liked.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's an SIB tip?

So far I've tried the Hard and Medium. I like the medium very much. I liked the hard too but I did have some trouble with glazing. Honestly, I find that I need to rough up the medium a lot too. I'm relatively new to layered tips. Maybe I haven't figured out the right technique yet?

Tonight I tossed a Pro on my main playing shaft. I've never had anything but harder tips on my cues. I figured I'd just give it a try and see what it's like. Hope to play tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, these are still the only layered tips I've ever liked.
SIB = Simplicity In Billiards

Apparently they're Tom Hay's new tip line that uses brown leather instead of black and they're made to play as close as they can to the old Moori tips from the 1990's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272311118555

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
just got my tom hay ultraskin sid tips
cant wait to get one put on and try it out

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Ultra-skin black soft tips and they play 100 times better, to me, than the Kamui Black Super Soft tips that I used before switching.

The Kamuis kept glazing over and getting hard, but I've played with the Ultra-skin black soft for months and they never do that.

I have been having my tips put on by a cue repair guy who does lots of stuff for people at Hawaiian Brian's, but I just put one on by hand this week and the repair guy will no longer be getting any tip money from me.

I just got a new shaft and didn't like the Milk Dud on it, so I went out and bought me a new razor knife, some super glue, and some sand paper. Using that and the hands of a surgeon, I replaced the tip and did a super, duper, duper job. As good as the repair guy could have done with his lathe.

I used to work in a pool hall and did all our work by hand and did it for years, until some SOB stole my bag of stuff one day at Brian's a few years back.

The Ultra-skin black soft tip was very easy to install and finish, unlike some layered tips that are hard as a rock and tend to "flake" when you are cutting them.

Tomorrow should be a fun day, playing with a new tip on a new cue and shaft.

Grandslam

Registered
I use Ultra-skin black soft tips and they play 100 times better, to me, than the Kamui Black Super Soft tips that I used before switching.

The Kamuis kept glazing over and getting hard, but I've played with the Ultra-skin black soft for months and they never do that.

I have been having my tips put on by a cue repair guy who does lots of stuff for people at Hawaiian Brian's, but I just put one on by hand this week and the repair guy will no longer be getting any tip money from me.

I just got a new shaft and didn't like the Milk Dud on it, so I went out and bought me a new razor knife, some super glue, and some sand paper. Using that and the hands of a surgeon, I replaced the tip and did a super, duper, duper job. As good as the repair guy could have done with his lathe.

I used to work in a pool hall and did all our work by hand and did it for years, until some SOB stole my bag of stuff one day at Brian's a few years back.

The Ultra-skin black soft tip was very easy to install and finish, unlike some layered tips that are hard as a rock and tend to "flake" when you are cutting them.

Tomorrow should be a fun day, playing with a new tip on a new cue and shaft.

What grit sandpaper do you use??

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What grit sandpaper do you use??

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-...ed-Sanding-Sheets-6-Pack-26000PGP-6/205415947

I bought a package of this at Home Depot and used the 80 grit to begin with, after I had "whittled" the tip down to close to where I wanted it with the razor knife.

I then used the sanding side of the Last 4-Ever Tip Tool to finish it down before burnishing it. This could have been done with finer grades of sandpaper as well.

The main thing to think about when putting on a new tip by hand is to take your time and don't rush...especially when using the razor knife. One slip and you may nick or take a slice out of your ferrule or even your fingers. :)

Also, when sanding down the sides of the tip, make sure the sand paper doesn't touch the ferrule.

I have changed numerous tip by hand and have yet to screw up a ferrule.

Another tip is to make sure your have a fresh blade in your razor knife. A sharp blade doesn't bind in the leather when cutting through the tip.

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultraskin Ivory

I switched the stock tip on my Cynergy shaft to a medium ivory tip. After about 6 hours of play, I really like it. Hits good on the carbon fiber shaft, holds chalk well and seems very consistent in play.

I have used all of the original tips on various applications from play cues to break cues and have had very good luck with them. This is my first of the ivory series.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received some ultraskin tips some weeks ago.
They are easy to install.
I have played with both hard and medium. I don't feel much difference between medium and hard. I normally play with tiger onyx tip, and there is no big difference - only the price being nicer on Tom Hay's tips.

The only problem I have had was with the soft tip. I installed it on a friends cue, and it popped off after 2-3 hours. This is the first tip I have installed since I started using Tiger CA glue, that has popped off. I have installed about 30 tips since I got that glue, and before that it did also only happen once with a moori tip after long time of play, and the tip was pretty worn down (same persons cue). I did install the tip just like I always do sanding off to roughen the backside of the tip, apply glue, waiting for at least two hours, cutting the tip and sanding on lathe. I guess I was just unlucky. Have to mention that the same person also managed to break a no-collar shaft some months ago. Any ideas?
Yes, I think the UltraGel by Locktite to be the best for any Cue Tips. By definition it is for Leather to Plastic and has a 6 month shelf life.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Pro Tip ?

Tom - can you describe where the "Pro" tip fits into the lineup? Is it softer than the SS ?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Pro Tip ?

Tom - can you describe where the "Pro" tip fits into the lineup? Is it softer than the SS ?
I would just disagree with garczar a little over PRO being the softest of black UltraSkins. I recall my conversation with Mr Hay through the means of WWW, that PRO was designed to resemble legendary Moori 'gen. IV' (or was it gen. III?) Soft. I did not run any hardness/density tests, neither do I remember any figures which might have been posted here, but from my experience, PRO is harder than SS (and definitely softer than S, as black UltraSkins are on the harder scale "letterwise", compared to some other famous brands).