New Simonis Cloth only for Cushions

harry

Registered
I hope someone has experience with Simonis PreciShot cushion cloth compared with Simonis 300 Rapide on the cushions.

1. What are advantages and disadvantages of using the PreciShot cushion cloth compared to using the “300” cloth on the cushions?

2. Specifically: will the PreciShot cushion cloth make the cue ball...as it leaves the 3rd cushion... “slide” a little bit more or less or is it the same: compared to using the “300” cloth on the cushions?

Asking before I order Simonis 300 for both slate bed and cushions or the 300 for the bed and the PreciShot for the cushions.

Thank you for your help,

Harry

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
yep

I would ask the question under 'ask the table mechanic section'. If no one else replies harry.

harry

Registered
Thanks, Danny. Good suggestion about checking the Mechanic Forum if I come up dry here.
I am most interested though in getting feedback from players. The PreciShot cushion may be too new to get what I’m looking for.

harry

Registered
Thanks, Danny. Good suggestion about checking the Mechanic Forum if I come up dry here.
I am most interested though in getting feedback from players. The PreciShot cushion may be too new to get what I’m looking for.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only played on it once and it was brand new along with the bed cloth so I noticed little difference.
I think the difference will show up particularly on a public table after a few months of use.

It's my understanding that the angles will be retained much longer. My assumption is its a tad more slippery and wear resistant which supports their claim of consistent rebound & spin retention.

I don't think you can go wrong either way if you're covering your personal table and in the habit of keeping it clean. For a public table I think I'd go ahead and use PreciShot. I'm trusting its not a gimmick. Simonis can't risk there reputation with gimmicks, particularly now with all the Asia competition.

harry

Registered
Simonis PreciShot Cushion Cloth feedback:

I ordered the Simonis PreciShot cushion cloth and 300 Rapide bed cloth when I had my new Klematch P37 rubber installed on my rails.

I’ve been playing daily on my 5’x10’ heated Verhoeven for about a month and a half since the installation and discovered that the PreciShot cushion cloth plays exactly as advertised by Simonis: it does a great job of consistently retaining the cue ball spin.

Interestingly, the only downside was the installation. The PreciShot cushion cloth is slightly thinner than the 300 Rapide bed cloth. My PreciShot cloth did not come with slightly wider rail splines, so the table mechanic and I had to wrap the 4 splines with a layer of duct tape, so that they would securely hold the thinner cloth to the rail.

The consistent play action of the cue ball, however, was definitely worth the extra installation effort.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback.

Have you ever played on RoyalPro to compare it? I'm wondering if the two play similar to one another.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback.

Have you ever played on RoyalPro to compare it? I'm wondering if the two play similar to one another.

I've played on both, but to be honest I'm not a good enough player to answer that question. Perhaps when @12squared gets back from playing in the NM 3C tournament he will comment, as he's played on the same tables I have, here at our senior center.

harry

Registered
Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve played on a 5x10’ heated Verhoeven with a Royal Pro cloth on the bed and cushions. This is a synthetic cloth made of a type of rayon. Comparing that with my table: the Simonis bed cloth is 90% wool & 10% nylon; the PreciShot is 100% nylon.

These billiard cloths each have advantages and disadvantages depending on personal preferences…and if you have a heated table to keep the moisture out of the wool, if the environment is humid.

I prefer the the Simonis wool bed cloth because: the balls roll quieter; the cloth looks better over time, and I like its feel and play. This is my first experience with the PreciShot cushion cloth. I’ve had it for almost 2 months now, and I really like how it holds the cue ball spin.

harry

Registered
I've only played on it once and it was brand new along with the bed cloth so I noticed little difference.
I think the difference will show up particularly on a public table after a few months of use.

It's my understanding that the angles will be retained much longer. My assumption is its a tad more slippery and wear resistant which supports their claim of consistent rebound & spin retention.

I don't think you can go wrong either way if you're covering your personal table and in the habit of keeping it clean. For a public table I think I'd go ahead and use PreciShot. I'm trusting its not a gimmick. Simonis can't risk there reputation with gimmicks, particularly now with all the Asia competition.

Thanks, 3Kushn!
You were so right-on about Simonis and its PreciShot cushion cloth: it holds the cue ball spin. All the players who come here love it.

harry

Registered
Thanks, 3Kushn!
You were so right-on about Simonis and its PreciShot cushion cloth: it holds the cue ball spin. All the players who come here love it.

Since it has been about 7 months since posting about trying the New Simonis PreciShot cushion cloth, I thought I should follow up on how it plays now: No change! It still maintains cue ball spin on the 3rd cushion... just as it did when new. Simonis has created another great product.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone comment on the price difference between RoyalPro and the synthetic (competing) Simonis product?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I dont know if ive seen rail cloth only for sale by royal pro

Which is what the precishot by sim is, rail cloth only
Last ive seen anyway

harry

Registered
Since it has been about 7 months since posting about trying the New Simonis PreciShot cushion cloth, I thought I should follow up on how it plays now: No change! It still maintains cue ball spin on the 3rd cushion... just as it did when new. Simonis has created another great product.
UPDATE: Simonis PreciShot Synthetic Cushion Cloth:
So... now it’s St. Patrick’s Day, 2021, and the cue balls still hold their spin on the 3rd cushion...and beyond.

My heated Verhoeven with the Simonis PreciShot cloth on the cushions and the Simonis 300 Rapide on the bed, still plays great.

harry

Registered
UPDATE: Simonis PreciShot Synthetic Cushion Cloth:
So... now it’s St. Patrick’s Day, 2021, and the cue balls still hold their spin on the 3rd cushion...and beyond.

My heated Verhoeven with the Simonis PreciShot cloth on the cushions and the Simonis 300 Rapide on the bed, still plays great.
Second Update to my original post:
I’ve been using Simonis Precishot Rail cloth on my Verhoeven 5’x10’ heated table now for several years. It is durable: it still holds the 3rd rail spin today as well as when it was new. Given equal stroking, the table plays the same at the beginning as it does at the end of every game. No more adjusting play as time goes by… unless you grease up the balls. Then, as the slippery stuff wears off, the spin will change. I use Aramith Ball Cleaner/Polish: perfect for consistent play.

I was told that the carom tables in Mercedes’ room in Lauderhill, FL, are now using it.

I was unsure when I purchased the Simonis PreciShot Rail cloth with my Simonis Rapide 300 bed cloth; however, it was a Simonis product, so I bought it on the strength of their reputation. Never going back.

PreciShot is thinner than the bed cloth: 100% nylon, so you need to use a little duct tape on the rail splines to make the tight fit. The install is no problem with the duct tape… or if you can find wider splines.

Also, my Simonis Precishot Rail cloth has a slightly lighter blue color compared to my Simonis 300 Rapide bed cloth. I would prefer a perfect match; however, the play is so good that I don’t mind.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
the thing about having spin still on the ball after 3 rails, sure the cloth is a factor, but so is the balls condition and how well you stroke.

if you want all matching color you should just get royal pro, all synthetic always the same playing condition