Mother Drills/ Stroke Drills

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long (days, weeks, months) before you see results? Is there like a set amount of reps that you must do a technique so it becomes a muscle memory?

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Depends on how much time and effort put into the drills, how many bad habits you are trying to break ETC.

If you are doing your mother drills 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes each session, you should start seeing improvement in a few days. Were most of my students I have taught fell short is they didn't have the discipline to do the drills and in a very short time they revert back to their old ways.

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to do 14 reps a day of Mother Drill #1.
SPF is the nutz.
randyg

Randy, that is the object ball only drill? Took a couple lessons back in the day from Scott and am back playing after a 9+ years layoff (life got in the way)...

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I find out more information about these mother drills? These sound like exactly what I need.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool is like many other games of skill. You can not pick up a Pool Cue, Golf Club, Tennis Racket and become great at any sport over night.

Most great players be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or any other sport pay due to become great. They work at their spot like it is a full time job.

It like driving an 18 Wheeler, sure you can go to TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL, get your CDL in 3 - 4 weeks. Year your CLD in your wallet looks the same as a guy or gals who has 10 year over the road experience. Driving in all sort of condition, and weather.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I find out more information about these mother drills? These sound like exactly what I need.

I think you need to schedule a lesson with an SPF instructor to properly learn what and how to use these drills. A lesson with a good SPF instructor is well worth the money if you want to learn real solid fundamentals, especially before you ingrain bad habits that are then harder to break.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to schedule a lesson with an SPF instructor to properly learn what and how to use these drills. A lesson with a good SPF instructor is well worth the money if you want to learn real solid fundamentals, especially before you ingrain bad habits that are then harder to break.

i didn't realize it was proprietary information. I would love to get a lesson, but instructors around me are over 4 hours away. Thats not bad for a single lesson, but I have a feeling on-going occasional lessons are what I need.

I have just been trying to come up with my own game plan for improvement. I know I need to work on my stroke first which is why this thread caught my attention.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didn't realize it was proprietary information. I would love to get a lesson, but instructors around me are over 4 hours away. Thats not bad for a single lesson, but I have a feeling on-going occasional lessons are what I need.

I have just been trying to come up with my own game plan for improvement. I know I need to work on my stroke first which is why this thread caught my attention.

Scott Lee and probably some others travel around quite a bit for lessons, get in touch and you might find someone to come to your favorite pool room or your home.

Good fundamentals help answer that lingering question when you miss - was it my aim or my stroke?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It is more then just the drills, it is the process, and evaluation of your performance that you learn to do that makes all the difference. After all you won't have an instructor over your shoulder full time to evaluate your progress.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think it is best to spend at least a couple of hours with an instructor if you can. Maybe you can work it into some other trip.

In the mean time, there are some very basic drills in the March column in this set of Billiards Digest articles: http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2010.pdf

And in case you have a little extra money, you might consider the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice. The outline of the items covered in each volume are here: https://drdavebilliards.com/documents/vepp/vepp_outline.pdf and there are plenty of fundamentals drills.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long (days, weeks, months) before you see results? Is there like a set amount of reps that you must do a technique so it becomes a muscle memory?

I did them for 30-40 minutes every day after my lesson, and I noticed a considerable change in two weeks. I didn't realize how much it changes until I got into a match against another guy, and I was just shooting that much straighter.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was 74 years old when I took a lesson from Scott Lee...I was amazed at how my consistency shot up...One lesson with video analysis and a course manual/workbook was all that was needed. Just practice correctly.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is best to spend at least a couple of hours with an instructor if you can. Maybe you can work it into some other trip.

In the mean time, there are some very basic drills in the March column in this set of Billiards Digest articles: http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2010.pdf

And in case you have a little extra money, you might consider the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice. The outline of the items covered in each volume are here: https://drdavebilliards.com/documents/vepp/vepp_outline.pdf and there are plenty of fundamentals drills.

Thanks for the info! I been looking for a good instructor and plan on at least trying a lesson just to get my stroke straight.

I have the Video Encyclopedia of pool shots, the pool practice DVD's were next on my list.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i was active playing i figured that if i went to an instructor i wouldn't get any better

so i never got any instruction,i was right about one thing

i didn't get any better

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the lessons 10 years ago and never followed through.

Now currently I'm trying to go back to basics to try and make a jump in my game I should have made a few years ago

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Pete

Yup, Mother Drill #1. The Stroke workout drill. Strongest drill for the stroke I have ever seen.
randyg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This has helped me tremendously.
Make the ball and scratch.
Line up the right foot, chest, chin, grip and bridge.

Attachments

• stroke.jpg
    stroke.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 631

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree JoeyinCali. That's an excellent drill. One of the very first stroke drills that Tom "Dr Cue" Rossman showed me over 20 years ago. Also shoot that shot with stun to see if the CB wobbles to the side. And then shoot it with draw to see if your CB comes straight back.

I don't believe this is one of the Mother Drills, however.

r/DCP

Last edited: