Thinking about Diamond (7ft vs 8ft)

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a below average player who plays just good enough to beat most bar bangers and my friends that come to my house.

My current table at home is an 8ft presidential billiards that I bought over 10 years ago. I did have the cloth replaced about 6 years ago with simonis 860 and the pockets tightened up a tad.

Well I jumped in and joined an APA league with some friends and I played my first night on a 7ft diamond table. It was a very eye opening experience for me, The way the ball jumped off the rails and the speed of the table was nothing like my table at home. I played terrible even though I won my match. I am thinking that my home table is holding me back because I have to hit the ball so hard to move the ball around the table. I can finally see how the pro's make some of the shots because of the action off the rails.

So I was thinking about upgrading to either a 7ft or 8ft Diamond ProAm. My room is just big enough to play comfortably (no short sticks or banging walls), if I were to put a 9ft table I would be hitting a wall with the cue. So its either a 7ft or 8ft table. I was hoping to save some money over the next couple of months and order the table sometime in January.

My question is how much of a difference does the extra foot make on the playability of the diamonds? Would this be a situation where I should get the biggest table that will fit, or would I be better off learning on a 7ft table since that is what is out in the real world at most places ?

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a below average player who plays just good enough to beat most bar bangers and my friends that come to my house.

My current table at home is an 8ft presidential billiards that I bought over 10 years ago. I did have the cloth replaced about 6 years ago with simonis 860 and the pockets tightened up a tad.

Well I jumped in and joined an APA league with some friends and I played my first night on a 7ft diamond table. It was a very eye opening experience for me, The way the ball jumped off the rails and the speed of the table was nothing like my table at home. I played terrible even though I won my match. I am thinking that my home table is holding me back because I have to hit the ball so hard to move the ball around the table. I can finally see how the pro's make some of the shots because of the action off the rails.

So I was thinking about upgrading to either a 7ft or 8ft Diamond ProAm. My room is just big enough to play comfortably (no short sticks or banging walls), if I were to put a 9ft table I would be hitting a wall with the cue. So its either a 7ft or 8ft table. I was hoping to save some money over the next couple of months and order the table sometime in January.

My question is how much of a difference does the extra foot make on the playability of the diamonds? Would this be a situation where I should get the biggest table that will fit, or would I be better off learning on a 7ft table since that is what is out in the real world at most places ?

The norm is go big or go home. I think going with the 7ft is most likely your best idea, because it will give you more room to move around the table. That will give you a little more room to view the shot line and properly step into the shot. In the USA the majority are playing on the 7ft tables, no point in spending more, when you'll only be playing on the 7 footers.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
The great thing about Diamond tables is that they are designed to play the same from size to size. A 7, 8, or 9' footer will all play the same speed and bank the same. You should always get the biggest table you can afford and fit in your space and play without any intrusions from architectural surroundings. When I bought my table everyone on here encouraged me to buy a 9 footer and I did. It was the best thing I ever did for my game. I say buy the 8 footer if it fits.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The great thing about Diamond tables is that they are designed to play the same from size to size. A 7, 8, or 9' footer will all play the same speed and bank the same. You should always get the biggest table you can afford and fit in your space and play without any intrusions from architectural surroundings. When I bought my table everyone on here encouraged me to buy a 9 footer and I did. It was the best thing I ever did for my game. I say buy the 8 footer if it fits.

I know some pretty strong barbox players in my area. One of them had a 9ft table and a barbox, they got rid of the 9ft table to make more room for the barbox. lol
He said playing on the 9ft table makes him over stroke shots on the barbox and is why he got rid of it and kept the barbox because that's what they play on. The majority that came over to play wouldn't play on the 9ft or just went limp looking at it. A good handful of these guys would be stealing from most of the members here on the barbox. They really love the barbox. lol

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Might as well get the barbox if you plan on playing leagues or tourneys. Plus, they play great. Not many bars or pool halls have 8 foots, so that would be the last size table I would ever get. Why practice on a table that you most likely will never play on outside of your home ? But, if 1P or straight pool are games you like, then you have to get the 8 footer ;)

Last edited:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bought my 7 ft diamond a year ago, as its all the room I had in my family room. best thing I ever did buy. I love it, playing everynight. when I get to the bar and play on a valley, its easy money. my other bar has diamond 7 ft table too, so im always dialed in when I play there.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone, pretty much the same dilemma that i have been going over in my head the past week.

I think I am just going to go with a 7ft table unless I find a killer deal on an 8ft.

Does anyone know any good diamond dealers in the Southeast (NC)? Diamonds website is kind of scarce on information.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I play good on a barbox Diamond, I play good on a 9ft Diamond.

For some reason, I play like absolute garbage on an 8ft Diamond.

Anybody else having this issue, or is it just my crazy self? Something about the angles being different, and the speed I'm never able to adjust to.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The norm is go big or go home. I think going with the 7ft is most likely your best idea, because it will give you more room to move around the table. That will give you a little more room to view the shot line and properly step into the shot. In the USA the majority are playing on the 7ft tables, no point in spending more, when you'll only be playing on the 7 footers.
I keep hearing it said that the majority of pool in the US is played on 7 footers. Is this actually true or is this something people just keep repeating because it sounds like a fact.

99 percent of my apa play has been on nine footers. Everyone I know down in MA plays on 9 footers as well.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep hearing it said that the majority of pool in the US is played on 7 footers. Is this actually true or is this something people just keep repeating because it sounds like a fact.

99 percent of my apa play has been on nine footers. Everyone I know down in MA plays on 9 footers as well.

From what I have seen around where I have lived in my life, unless your playing in a dedicated billiard hall, 90% of the tables are 7ft bar boxes. I honestly don't think I ever seen an 8ft table anywhere other than someone's home.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know the overall percentage in the USA, but close to 99% is accurate for my area. Maybe I need to move and thought about it, but there use to be around 6 pool halls in my area, 2 of them 10 minutes away. A couple places I wanted to check out about 2 hours away closed up also. Now there is only 1 left about 30 minutes away and nothing really goes on there. I have to drive around 3 hours to get to a good pool room. I thought about opening one up, but I'm not much of a chance taker these days. Enjoy it while you still have it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Stick to a 7' Diamond! If you are playing league pool on 7' tables, than there is none better than the Diamond. It's head and shoulders above the pack! It's the only small table that feels like you are playing real pool and not "toy" pool.
Plus, this way you have lots of room to play and sit down to enjoy the game. It's your home after all! :thumbup:

Last edited:

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i listed my home table for sale today on some local buy sell groups. As soon as my table sells I am going to order the diamond table. just have to find a dealer with a good installer for my area.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid 5100 delivered to Southern California and set up. to give you a price range example.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question of is "most pool played on bar boxes..." At least in the PA/NJ/DE and now Atlanta areas where I currently reside, every place I've ever been to has had 15 or more 9' tables, and maybe, just maybe, qty 1 7' table. Your experience may vary:)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The choice really is should I get a 9’ or a 7’ Diamond table?
Once you realize you might not have the recommended space
for a 9’ table, then don’t settle for a 8’ version. Instead get a 7’
table and dress the room appropriately with great ambience,
a flat screen tv and with camera you can film yourself with.

There aren’t many tournaments I’m aware of on the west coast
where 8’ tables are the norm. There are lots for 9’ and 7’ tables
and that’s what several national leagues play on as well. Getting
an 8’ table....IMO.....would be a poor settlement for a 9’ table.
But a 7’ table has become so popular that it seems a better fit.

JC

Coos Cues
Might as well get the barbox if you plan on playing leagues or tourneys. Plus, they play great. Not many bars or pool halls have 8 foots, so that would be the last size table I would ever get. Why practice on a table that you most likely will never play on outside of your home ? But, if 1P or straight pool are games you like, then you have to get the 8 footer ;)

Virtually all competition I go to outside my home is played on bar boxes.

I wouldn't trade them all for my 9 footer.

Playing down to the bar box is a seamless transition but playing up is a lot tougher.

Plus as you said, one pocket and straight pool suck on a barbox.

If you can't fit the 9 buy the 8. It will make you sharper on the 7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't fit the 9 buy the 8. It will make you sharper on the 7

I agree. Payable area matters, how do you play without it?

If you consider 2.25 inch balls to be the standard reference, then every 1 foot of table length changes the ball size +/- 0.25 inches.

On a 7ft. table you need 1.75 inch balls to meet that standard reference for the smaller area, which is noticeably smaller. At least on an 8ft table the balls only have to be 2 inches, which isn't as bad.

As long as you have fun. I often play with 1.5 inch balls on a 9ft table (deflection is outrageous!).

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have an 8 foot Pro-Am, I believe all Diamond 8 Foots are oversized 8 foots. People tried to talk me out of it. I'm glad I went with what I wanted. 9 foots don't look too big, and bar tables become easy.