Mezz WX700 or WX900

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking at purchasing a new cue and since I was very happy with the Mezz WD700 I borrowed from a friend last year( http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3 ) I want to replace it with a new Mezz cue.( http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18 )

The WD700 had a 12.5mm tip as does the new WX700 but the WX900 has a 12mm tip. This cue will probably be my first and last cue purchase for a very long time. I have been playing pool for 2 years and play about 10 hours a week here in the Philippines. How much playing difference is there between a 12mm tip and a 12.5mm tip?

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very big difference between the 2, not to mention the potential difference in the overall balance of the cue. Your best bet would be to try all the mezz shafts including the alpha and the hybrid pro 2 before you make your purchase. where in the Philippines do you usually play?

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very big difference between the 2, not to mention the potential difference in the overall balance of the cue. Your best bet would be to try all the mezz shafts including the alpha and the hybrid pro 2 before you make your purchase. where in the Philippines do you usually play?

I am up in Subic. There is no chance of trying any cues out here in Subic. Star billiards in Manila may have a cue there, its just not easy like back in the states to find places and test things out. I liked the last Mezz cue I shot with and I can get it with a WX700 instead of a WD700 I'm just not sure if I should upgrade to the WX900 without being able to try it, especially since it's a 12mm tip.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the diameter of the tip shouldnt be the problem.

the wx900 has a more conical taper, is slightly lighter and plays WAY stiffer than the WX700.

the 700 is more like a traditionnal poolshaft (taper, stiffness), the 900 goes toward a snookerlike shaft.

if you prefer a slightly softer hit and a shaft that can "forgive", go with the wx700. if you like a stiff hit and a very precise shaft, go with the wx900.

if you have the oppurtunity, try out some predator shafts (314 and 2)

the differnece between those 2 is pretty much the same, only that the mezz shafts are much better in quality, playability, stiffer....

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with the WX900 It's a great shaft. Don't worry about the 0,5mm difference in tip diameter.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with the WX900 It's a great shaft. Don't worry about the 0,5mm difference in tip diameter.

I totally agree. I find it to be a perfect tip size and the taper makes it even better.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the WX900 thinner than the WX700? I have short fingers and would prefer a thinner shaft.

Yes it is. The taper is conical and it starts off at 12mm by the ferrule. I been using shafts between 12.75 and 11.60, And my personal opinion is that the wx900 has a perfect size. I will confess that I have had the shaft in a lathe and made it a bit less conical. Can't keep my hands off, trying to fine tune it to my liking. I don't recommend it though :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried all the Mezz shafts including the EXPro as well as all the Predator shafts including the Revo, and in my opinion, the Mezz WX900 is far and away the lowest deflecting shaft I have ever hit. Unless you are loading up the cue ball with absolute maximum sidespin, it sends the cue ball precisely where you aim it.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried all the Mezz shafts including the EXPro as well as all the Predator shafts including the Revo, and in my opinion, the Mezz WX900 is far and away the lowest deflecting shaft I have ever hit. Unless you are loading up the cue ball with absolute maximum sidespin, it sends the cue ball precisely where you aim it.

....................just realized you reopened a 4 year old thread.

I would think he would have made a decision before now. Then again, you never know about the "unusual" questions, threads....people online.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe how often this happens. 4yrs ago??
So what if it's a 4 year old thread? My point is, even 4 years later and with all the LD shaft offerings from various manufacturers that have come out since then, the WX900 is still the lowest deflecting shaft, in my opinion. Some people in the market for a cue / shaft might be interested in knowing that.

Last edited: