Definition of Snookered

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does the second sentence mean? Doesn't make sense to me:

17. Snookered
The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It means that if you can see both sides of an object ball with the cueball, you are not considered to be snookered.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What does the second sentence mean? Doesn't make sense to me:

Where this definition of a snooker is pertinent is when your opponent has fouled....
...you must be able to cut the ball ’on’ maximum on either side or you are said to be
‘False snookered’ and you get to nominate any other ball as the one you’re hooked on.
....that’s what a ‘free ball’ is.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It means that if you can see both sides of an object ball with the cueball, you are not considered to be snookered.
The definition is actually more complicated than that. Suppose the blue and brown have been knocked to cushions but pink is on its spot, all of the reds are more or less in their original positions, reds are the balls on and the cue ball is on the brown spot. The striker (shooter) is not snookered even though he can't hit both extreme edges of any red ball. The corner red balls in the pack are protected on one side by reds which because they are on do not count as snookering balls.

Also it is not obvious from the rule, but if the cue ball is touching the jaw of a pocket, that jaw cannot snooker you even though it may be impossible to hit any ball on the table directly with a straight shot. However, if the cue ball is stuck on the jaw of the pocket and the last red is the ball on and pink is in front of that red from the cue ball's position, the pink is snookering you even though it is impossible to hit pink directly.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played snooker for the first time last night. I confess I don't know all of the rules yet, and this particular one is quite confusing to me. Oh, well, in time it will clear up, I guess!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played snooker for the first time last night. I confess I don't know all of the rules yet, and this particular one is quite confusing to me. Oh, well, in time it will clear up, I guess!
Then you kind of have to go along with what the other players say, but you should try to read through the rules from time to time as even long-time players get some rules wrong.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you kind of have to go along with what the other players say, but you should try to read through the rules from time to time as even long-time players get some rules wrong.

Agreed, I just got the rules document and I will read it, and probably discuss it with others, before the next time.