Playing pool with the mechanical bridge?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So has anyone tried to play pool with the mechanical bridge? What I mean by this is using the mechanical bridge just like a regular cue stick. I will be asking at my pool hall if I can give it a try. I will report on how it went if I am able to do it. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So has anyone tried to play pool with the mechanical bridge? I will be asking at my pool hall if I can give it a try. I will report on how it went if I am able to do it.
Corey Deuel will use the bridge on every shot - if the bet's right.

pj
chgo

2515683597_276673f47a_b.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So has anyone tried to play pool with the mechanical bridge? What I mean by this is using the mechanical bridge just like a regular cue stick. I will be asking at my pool hall if I can give it a try. I will report on how it went if I am able to do it. Hopefully that makes more sense.
Many years ago people used things called "maces" to play pool that had blunt ends like for shuffleboard. You can look it up. That would be similar. We don't do that anymore.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I once saw a couple about to play on the table next to mine who were trying to "unscrew" the mechanical bridge head so they could use the "cue part". I believe they might have been novices.

I went over to help, but even for me it was hard to unscrew.

pj
chgo

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago people used things called "maces" to play pool that had blunt ends like for shuffleboard. You can look it up. That would be similar. We don't do that anymore.

A few ys ago these 2 guys were playing nxt to me - well one of them had the cue ball near the object ball about a few inches away but way too far for a stretch and there were balls around - rather then use bridge he grabbed his cue at the shaft end and used the butt end as a mace and pushed it into the object ball and made the shot.

Technically is this legal ??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few ys ago these 2 guys were playing nxt to me - well one of them had the cue ball near the object ball about a few inches away but way too far for a stretch and there were balls around - rather then use bridge he grabbed his cue at the shaft end and used the butt end as a mace and pushed it into the object ball and made the shot.

Technically is this legal ??
Not legal.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I used to play only with the bridge but when I got down to my last piece of “bridge head shaped chalk” I gave it up.

Cuebuddy>>>>Hoping Masters starts up production again.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brother - did you even read the question, as dumb as it was?

He doesn't have reading comprehension skills, just sees a word and tells tales of the golden years from before he was born

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to play only with the bridge but when I got down to my last piece of “bridge head shaped chalk” I gave it up.

Cuebuddy>>>>Hoping Masters starts up production again.
Kamui does them on special order but they're $850. I don't shoot often enough with the bridge to justify the cost.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We actually play this way all the time.
If I match up with a better player sometimes
we play that he can only use the bridge and
I get to use my cue. It's really quite common.
Just make sure to ask the room owner if you
can, should be no problem. Most around here
don't mind. Last time I asked the guy said sure
that's just fine go grab the bridge and then
bring it here, I'll shine it up real nice. So I can turn that
sumbtch sideways and stick it straight up your candyazz.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Only three types of people are so obsessed with bridges. Engineers, freighter/tanker pilots and trolls.

You're not an engineer or river pilot, are you?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been visiting pool halls coast to coast for nearly 60 years. In all my countless visits, there’s one thing that stands out.
Regardless of the location or time of day, I’ve never seen any player(s) practicing or competing just using a mechanical bridge.

I’ve seen players play opposite handed, one handed, standing on one leg, arm behind their back, sitting on a stool or chair,
practicing one specific shot over and over, jumping the cue ball, practicing banks, break shots, rail shots, frozen balls, etc.
You name it and in all likelihood I’ve seen it being done or played, all but one. There is one solitary thing I’ve yet to observe
any player(s) do for more than a couple of shots. Regardless of the location or time of day, I’ve never seen players practicing
just bridge shots. Just set up object balls and shoot using the bridge for every shot. Practice like normal but always use the bridge.

Nope, never seen this done and when you think of how seldom the bridge may get used in any match, is it any wonder why a player
doesn’t feel as comfortable using a bridge compared to a closed or open bridge. It’s a tool yet most players take it for granted til needed.

Now that really makes little sense but that’s the reality of it. You should practice with all 14 golf clubs you carry in you bag if you want to
become really good. Pool shouldn’t be any different but for some reason is. Maybe it’s since the bridge is a real nuisance to practice with.