Those who tried Jacoby & Meucci CF at Derby.....

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I first want to prefice that this thread isn't to discredit either company or make jokes. I'm really enjoying the carbon fiber shafts and looking to try them all.

I spoke to a trusted friend who was at Derby and asked this friend if he tried the 2 shafts while there since they were both on display to try out and preorder.

From what this person told me he said that both shafts had a seam, which would mean the aren't filiment wound like the Cuetec, Revo or Becue. If the shafts do have a seam, I don't think I'd be interested. Just trying to gather more information on both shafts. Both companies state they had the help from aerospace engineers so maybe it's a totally different form of CF. Just seems a little odd to me there isn't much information out there about either shaft (besides pic, small specs & price) when they are both being released soon.

The other 3 companies had much more literature available giving information about all parts and pieces involved in the shaft. I guess with the lack of information available on these 2 new upcoming products compaired to the other 3 I won't consider blindly purchasing without trying them 1st at SBE.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
What does 'have a seam' mean???

Literally I assume it means that the shafts have a seam running down a side of it where the carbon fiber was joined together to form the cylinder shape of the shaft.

My question is what it means in terms of construction and performance. It's implied by the OP that this "seam" would indicate an inferior construction method. That might be the case, but as someone who is learning about this new CF technology I'm interested in whether it is actually inferior or why it would be inferior. Does anyone have any further info on construction methods?

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW i just got a cuetec cf and it looks like it has a seam. it looks really good tho imo. has a shimmer to it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Literally I assume it means that the shafts have a seam running down a side of it where the carbon fiber was joined together to form the cylinder shape of the shaft.

My question is what it means in terms of construction and performance. It's implied by the OP that this "seam" would indicate an inferior construction method. That might be the case, but as someone who is learning about this new CF technology I'm interested in whether it is actually inferior or why it would be inferior. Does anyone have any further info on construction methods?
I know that some golf shafts are what's called "flag-wrapped" in that sheets of CF are laid at angles on a tapered mandrel. After curing they are sanded and seams are invisible after finishing. They play just as good as filament-wound shafts. I doubt that on either of these shafts there will be a visible seam.

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo has a seam too, so does Cuetec's Cynergy shaft.

Last edited:

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh? REVO's are filament-wound. Not sure where you seeing/noticing a seam.
From those Revo shafts I have seen, especially on Revo sold since later 2018, seam is very obvious. (which IMO Predator started caring less on finished product's cosmetics, maybe due to the high demand they were eager to fulfill?)

But I will gladly admit I am wrong on this, if you can direct me to where I can see Predator's official statement on how Revo is made.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From those Revo shafts I have seen, especially on Revo sold since later 2018, seam is very obvious. (which IMO Predator started caring less on finished product's cosmetics, maybe due to the high demand they were eager to fulfill?)

But I will gladly admit I am wrong on this, if you can direct me to where I can see Predator's official statement on how Revo is made.

There is no visible seam on the new revo shaft I bought a couple weeks ago. I looked it over very close after reading this thread.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no visible seam on the new revo shaft I bought a couple weeks ago. I looked it over very close after reading this thread.
I agree. I have no idea what that guy's talking about. A buddy has both sizes and i've seen about 5-6 others and there is NO trace of a seam on them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Read this: https://www.predatorcues.com/technology/revo-technology/ They use cf TOW which is the thread used to make cf sheets. Instead of flag-wrapping sheets they wind the TOW directly on to the mandrel. They do it at various angles, known as "bias", to get the properties they want. BTW, as i'm writing this Predator responded to my FB question. They said what i'm saying here, there is NO seam in a REVO shaft. If you saw a seam you were 99.9999999% likely to be looking at a cheap knock-off.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen any seam on a Revo I tested. Somewhere in April I'll have possibility to test Cuetec's shaft so I'll see if there is one and how it performs. When it comes to Jacoby ...they make really good wooden LD shafts so I expect them to offer something really good in c.f. too. We'll see.

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read this: https://www.predatorcues.com/technology/revo-technology/ They use cf TOW which is the thread used to make cf sheets. Instead of flag-wrapping sheets they wind the TOW directly on to the mandrel. They do it at various angles, known as "bias", to get the properties they want. BTW, as i'm writing this Predator responded to my FB question. They said what i'm saying here, there is NO seam in a REVO shaft. If you saw a seam you were 99.9999999% likely to be looking at a cheap knock-off.
Can you post link to Predator's Facebook response? Thanks.

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go their FB and ask. They always respond quite quickly.
Okay I will do that, and look forward to the answer I will get.

In the meantime, do you mind post a screenshot of Predator's response?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay I will do that, and look forward the answer I will get.

In the meantime, do you mind post a screenshot of Predator's response?
I deleted the FB conversation as soon as i read it. The guy who usually responds is named Max. He said he has watched the construction first-hand and that there are no seams. Its filament wound just like the description on their site.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
People are likely confusing a mold parting line with a seam. Regardless of how the carbon fiber is woven ( wrapped, braided, woven, whatever) you still need to introduce resin. Depending on how they mold the shaft the tool may have a split line that shows up even if it is sanded smooth).

A golf shaft, snow skis, aircraft components, race car components and now pool cues are not made of carbon fiber the same way a Hershey bar is made from chocolate. These products are "composite materials", specifically they are "reinforced plastic".....but we all know that nobody is going to spend a grand on a "plastic" cue.

The cuetec fiberglass cues are simply " fiberglass reinforced plastic" shafts.

In any case there are 4 basic factors...the reinforcement material(fiberglass, graphite, carbon fiber, re-bar, kevlar, etc.), the reinforcement orientation (woven, wrapped, random chopped, linear), the resin type (epoxy, polyester, nylon, etc) and the forming process (injection molded, hand formed, compression molded, extruded, pultrusion, cold formed, etc.)

The point here is that there is no real such thing as a carbon fiber cue, but there are many ways that carbon fiber is used to make a composite shaft. This is soon going to be a meaningless term as every cheap cue maker will find a way to sprinkle a little carbon fiber into his cue recipe and call it a carbon fiber cue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are likely confusing a mold parting line with a seam. Regardless of how the carbon fiber is woven ( wrapped, braided, woven, whatever) you still need to introduce resin. Depending on how they mold the shaft the tool may have a split line that shows up even if it is sanded smooth).

A golf shaft, snow skis, aircraft components, race car components and now pool cues are not made of carbon fiber the same way a Hershey bar is made from chocolate. These products are "composite materials", specifically they are "reinforced plastic".....but we all know that nobody is going to spend a grand on a "plastic" cue.

The cuetec fiberglass cues are simply " fiberglass reinforced plastic" shafts.

In any case there are 4 basic factors...the reinforcement material(fiberglass, graphite, carbon fiber, re-bar, kevlar, etc.), the reinforcement orientation (woven, wrapped, random chopped, linear), the resin type (epoxy, polyester, nylon, etc) and the forming process (injection molded, hand formed, compression molded, extruded, pultrusion, cold formed, etc.)

The point here is that there is no real such thing as a carbon fiber cue, but there are many ways that carbon fiber is used to make a composite shaft. This is soon going to be a meaningless term as every cheap cue maker will find a way to sprinkle a little carbon fiber into his cue recipe and call it a carbon fiber cue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well put. This reminds me of the "titanium" golf balls you could buy. The only titanium in the entire ball was in the paint mix.