Remove Sharpie From a Shaft

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Denatured alcohol on a magic eraser

On kitchen cabinets this is exactly the combination I would use -- never tried it on a cue stick though. The denatured alcohol evaporates very quickly and does seem to be a "solvent" for magic marker. Magic eraser is a very gentle abrasive.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My gf went nuts on me last year and started writing with sharpie on all the glass in the house how much of an a hole, etc, I am.

I tried windex, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, maybe a few more. None of them cleaned the glass.

Nail polish remover finally did the trick.

Note taken she was not referred to as "ex-girlfriend".

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My gf went nuts on me last year and started writing with sharpie on all the glass in the house how much of an a hole, etc, I am.

I tried windex, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, maybe a few more. None of them cleaned the glass.

Nail polish remover finally did the trick.
Nail polish remover is Acetone. I would be very careful about using it on your shaft if there's a finish on the signed part. If you try, I would suggest a little bit on a rag, one swipe, let it evaporate, assess, then repeat if nothing bad happened.

JC

Coos Cues
As an archaeologist, I need to remove things written with a sharpie from various surfaces all the time.

Sharpie ink is only soluble in alcohol; acetone or petroleum distillates like plant thinner won't work.

Denatured alcohol is probably the best solvent for the job!

Automotive spray carburetor cleaner takes it off.

JC

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an archaeologist, I need to remove things written with a sharpie from various surfaces all the time.

Sharpie ink is only soluble in alcohol; acetone or petroleum distillates like plant thinner won't work.

Denatured alcohol is probably the best solvent for the job!
Are you finding fossils with Sharpie hieroglyphics all over them? (couldn't resist, lol)

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe try a few of the suggestions on a piece of maple dowel before attempting on your shaft. Let the sharpie dry as your shaft signature is fully dry by now.

Try Magic Eraser....

Denatured alcohol on a magic eraser

These are good ideas in my opinion.

The only thing I can think to add is taking a dry erase magic marker
over the autograph written with the Sharpie. A permanent ink Sharpie
can become erasable if you write over it with a dry erase marker.

Before trying this, I think it would be wise to try it on a maple dowel
like croscoe mentioned above. You may have to go over the marking
a few extra times with the dry erase marker during the process and
then use the Magic Erase with small amounts of alcohol to complete
the job. If it works on the practice dowel, I suppose you'd be good to
go on the shaft.

Please report back and let us know the results. Thanks

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried using Nail Polish Remover on marker and had mixed results plus it needs to be used outside or with proper ventilation so I don't mess with it.