Consensus "Greatest of All Time" (GOAT) List

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You just bumped Alex from 5 to 4 above Nick.

I’m not real happy about moving Nicky back to fifth...one of my favorite people....
...and possibly the only player from the Western Hemisphere that beat Efren in his
prime in a race to 50 in his home country.

And because these are popularity contests, Dallas West doesn’t make the list....
...he played all pool games at top level, and nobody on the list, including Efren, was going
to beat him on a carom table.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’m not real happy about moving Nicky back to fifth...one of my favorite people....
...and possibly the only player from the Western Hemisphere that beat Efren in his

And because these are popularity contests, Dallas West doesn’t make the list....
...he played all pool games at top level, and nobody on the list, including Efren, was going

I applaud your vote. People keep using points on efren who is like a hundred in the lead and in no way going below first. We need more love for the lower listees

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I applaud your vote. People keep using points on efren who is like a hundred in the lead and in no way going below first. We need more love for the lower listees
Agreed. The Top 1 and the Top 3 are a lock. Let's use the remaining votes to refine 4-6 and 7-11, which are wide open.

Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 209
2 - Earl Strickland - 118
3 - Shane Van Boening - 109
4 - Nick Varner - 95
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 94
6 - Mike Sigel - 86
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Francisco Bustamante - 50
9 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Johnny Archer - 47
11 - Dennis Ocollo - 46

NOTE - Anybody can vote in this round, even if you didn't vote in the first round.

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 49): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, CGM, charlietango7, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, deanoc, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, mattb, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, parvus1202, Pete, Poolmanis, pt109, RailBanger, ricardo, Rimfirejunkie, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, Tooler, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree completely. This is about, in our own opinions, the greatest. Watering down first, in order to help second in my opinion is a disservice to this as a whole.

Maybe Efren should win by several hundred points to solidify his legacy. Maybe Earl and the rest should lose by several hundred points in order to show just how distant they are in the court of public opinion.

Reactions: sjm

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I disagree completely. This is about, in our own opinions, the greatest. Watering down first, in order to help second in my opinion is a disservice to this as a whole.

Maybe Efren should win by several hundred points to solidify his legacy. Maybe Earl and the rest should lose by several hundred points in order to show just how distant they are in the court of public opinion.
Both sides of the argument have valid points, and people also interpret "GOAT" in radically different ways. That's why a voting process like this, involving lots of participants, is useful ... it leads to a consensus among a diversity of opinions and interpretations.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is that all carom games or just 3 cushion?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
rd2
Reyes 3
Busty1
Pagu1

Whoa!!! That's a lot of Pinoy love there. :thumbup:

IMHO, Bustamante has not accomplished near as much as Shane (or even Earl if we're just talking rotation games), and on head-to-head match-ups, I'm thinking Shane has gotten the best of Alex more so than the other way around.

But then.....this IS basically a popularity poll so.....carry on. :D

Maniac

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

On the subject of great pool players 1970-present who also played pro speed 3-cushion, don't leave out Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson, whom I believe was a bit stronger than Dallas West at caroms.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second round votes:
Varner 3
Pagulayan 1
Orcollo 1

No need to explain my votes for Nick.
He was a monster in all pocket billiard games during his prime. He beat everyone.
Alex is my #1 in 1-P, in the top 15 in rotation, but is relatively weak in 14.1 because he doesn't play it very often.
Dennis has run over 200 balls in 14.1 several times, is in the top 5 in 1-P, and probably in the top 10 in all rotation games.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will there be a 3rd round of voting?
Nope. The 1st round go us down to 10 (+1). The 2nd round is refining the Top 10. The top 3 appear to be locked in, but 4-6 and 7-11 are definitely subject to movement with the remaining voting.

Current Top 10 GOAT List:

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 209
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 94
5 - Nick Varner - 90
6 - Mike Sigel - 86
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
9 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Johnny Archer - 47
11 - Dennis Ocollo - 46

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rd 2
Varner-5
You just moved Nick from 5 to 4 above Alex. These two have flip-flopped several times during 2nd round voting.

Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 209
4 - Nick Varner - 95
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 94
6 - Mike Sigel - 86
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
9 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Johnny Archer - 47
11 - Dennis Ocollo - 46

NOTE - Anybody can vote in this round, even if you didn't vote in the first round.

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 49): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, CGM, charlietango7, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, deanoc, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, mattb, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, parvus1202, Pete, Poolmanis, pt109, RailBanger, ricardo, Rimfirejunkie, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, Tooler, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
rd2
Reyes 3
Busty1
Pagu1
Sorry, but you are on the "already voted in 2nd round" list (see below). You are allowed to vote only once in each round, and you are not allowed to change your vote.

B]People who have already voted in the second round[/B] (total number: 49): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, CGM, charlietango7, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, deanoc, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, mattb, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, parvus1202, Pete, Poolmanis, pt109, RailBanger, ricardo, Rimfirejunkie, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, Tooler, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second round votes:
Varner 3
Pagulayan 1
Orcollo 1

No need to explain my votes for Nick.
He was a monster in all pocket billiard games during his prime. He beat everyone.
Alex is my #1 in 1-P, in the top 15 in rotation, but is relatively weak in 14.1 because he doesn't play it very often.
Dennis has run over 200 balls in 14.1 several times, is in the top 5 in 1-P, and probably in the top 10 in all rotation games.

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 209
4 - Nick Varner - 98
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 95
6 - Mike Sigel - 86
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
9 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Johnny Archer - 47
11 - Dennis Ocollo - 47

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 50): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, CGM, charlietango7, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, deanoc, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, kkdanamatt, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, mattb, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, parvus1202, Pete, Poolmanis, pt109, RailBanger, ricardo, Rimfirejunkie, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, Tooler, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny 3
Nick 2
You just moved Johnny from 10 to 9 above Wu.

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 209
4 - Nick Varner - 100
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 95
6 - Mike Sigel - 86
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
9 - Johnny Archer - 50
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
11 - Dennis Ocollo - 47

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 51): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, CGM, charlietango7, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, deanoc, dontscratch, dr_dave, follownoone, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, kkdanamatt, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, mattb, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, parvus1202, Pete, Poolmanis, pt109, RailBanger, ricardo, Rimfirejunkie, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, Tooler, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave

BRLongArm

Registered
Today's all around greatest players, considering rotation (10 ball), straight pool, one pocket, banks and eight ball:

1a. Alex Pagulayan
1b. Dennis Orcullo
3. Shane Van Boening
4. Jason Shaw
5. Francisco Bustamante
6. Corey Deuel

20 years ago

1. Efren Reyes
2. Nick Varner
3. Mike Sigel
4. Shannon Daulton
5. Earl Strickland