Restored to Perfection?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well at first glance, it looks like Bill misrepresented the table as a great table, without ever having touched the table, in an effort to middle the deal and make a score. So that puts him on the hook for a bad deal all around. That said, until hearing Bill's side of the story, I would not be so quick to judge him. Reading Bill's posts here and on onepocket.org over the last 15 years, I'm certain he will be along to tell his side of the story;)

As far as people paying 15k or 20k for these tables, I personally think that is make-believe. They are listed that way on the Blatt and similar sites for years, but I wonder if they actually sell-though.

The biggest take away from this in my eyes, is don't buy anything old as F like this table, without inspecting it in person.

I'd also say whoever made the poster, must be a pool player, for them to know the woods and that 6 legs are more rare than 4. I doubt a realtor would know anything about tables except the cloth should be red;) So, I'd like to know who made that poster and who originally claimed it was beautifully restored.

To the OP, did you get pictures of the damage by any chance? When you say the rails were split for example, is that something a banger realtor would have seen? I know a true player would of course, but would the damage you saw jump out at a lay person?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well at first glance, it looks like Bill misrepresented the table as a great table, without ever having touched the table, in an effort to middle the deal and make a score. So that puts him on the hook for a bad deal all around. That said, until hearing Bill's side of the story, I would not be so quick to judge him. Reading Bill's posts here and on onepocket.org over the last 15 years, I'm certain he will be along to tell his side of the story;)

As far as people paying 15k or 20k for these tables, I personally think that is make-believe. They are listed that way on the Blatt and similar sites for years, but I wonder if they actually sell-though.

The biggest take away from this in my eyes, is don't buy anything old as F like this table, without inspecting it in person.

I'd also say whoever made the poster, must be a pool player, for them to know the woods and that 6 legs are more rare than 4. I doubt a realtor would know anything about tables except the cloth should be red;) So, I'd like to know who made that poster and who originally claimed it was beautifully restored.

To the OP, did you get pictures of the damage by any chance? When you say the rails were split for example, is that something a banger realtor would have seen? I know a true player would of course, but would the damage you saw jump out at a lay person?

I doubt the OP got pics because I didn’t.
The table might have been “Beautifully Restored” in 1930:mad:

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt the OP got pics because I didn’t.

The table might have been “Beautifully Restored” in 1930:mad:

The realtor told me (while I was refelting it) that it was restored in the 80s. (That would’ve been nice to know before I left my house) It was not restored to perfection, and the person signed their name on one of the rails, unlegibly. The realtor also said the owner paid 35k for it, which is hard to believe. I did not get pictures because I was FaceTiming (showing all the damage) with Mark Gregory, who was very helpful and informative throughout.

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This picture doesn’t do it (the damage to the slate) justice...
e247040f98f9a0192831f6c2d147b9f7.jpg

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the other picture that I got because I couldn’t stick my head up and take a look...I used my phone to take a look at the ball return
91754acdcc3164f44e58e117eaf73ea6.jpg

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to clarify the “Restored”

The Ad with pics of a beautifully restored table does not state the table was restored or even what condition it’s in.

Bill Smith was trying to make a quick $1000 profit off me. Bill’s Ad specificity stated in onepocker.org classified section “Beautifully Restored”. Mark found the original owners ad selling the table for $5000. After I canceled the deal due to Bill not sending me pics and not sending someone to check out the table and report back to Bill and Me, Mark got involved.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I want to clarify the “Restored”

The Ad with pics of a beautifully restored table does not state the table was restored or even what condition it’s in.

Bill Smith was trying to make a quick $1000 profit off me. Bill’s Ad specificity stated in onepocker.org classified section “Beautifully Restored”. Mark found the original owners ad selling the table for $5000. After I canceled the deal due to Bill not sending me pics and not sending someone to check out the table and report back to Bill and Me, Mark got involved.
It takes a village to sell a pool table.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a typical pool hall deal to me.

I've been hanging around pool halls since the mid 1950's and, you pick the type item, someone always knew about a "deal" on that item you were seeking.

When we are focused on our "desire", someone is always ready to lighten our pocketbook and ultimately burst our bubble.

Sorry about your time and money loss but you knew it was a "deal" when the price was far below market for a table like that. Continue to search for that table of your dreams.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The realtor told me (while I was refelting it) that it was restored in the 80s. (That would’ve been nice to know before I left my house) It was not restored to perfection, and the person signed their name on one of the rails, unlegibly. The realtor also said the owner paid 35k for it, which is hard to believe. I did not get pictures because I was FaceTiming (showing all the damage) with Mark Gregory, who was very helpful and informative throughout.

Yeah, the whole thing is messed up. The only thing that is confusing is you got there and realized this thing was a "wreck".

So, then you decide to waste more time refelting it for the guy who dragged you down there to waste your time ? And if he wanted the work done, now was a great time to recoup your losses and charge him enough to cover your gas money :)

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How appropriate... and the guy's initials are B.S. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 313

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry this happened to you. I would be awfully pissed off too.

One thing I can't understand is the truck rental. If it were me, I would have drove down in my car to see the table. If I was going to buy, I would have rented a U-Haul near the seller and drove both vehicles back to my hometown. For a small fee you can return the truck to a local U-Haul branch near your home.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the whole thing is messed up. The only thing that is confusing is you got there and realized this thing was a "wreck".

So, then you decide to waste more time refelting it for the guy who dragged you down there to waste your time ? And if he wanted the work done, now was a great time to recoup your losses and charge him enough to cover your gas money :)

I maybe wrong but I believe they cut the old felt to see if the slates were good.
If they were good buy the table and recover later.
Bad slates so just put new on and write your time and labor off.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I maybe wrong but I believe they cut the old felt to see if the slates were good.
If they were good buy the table and recover later.
Bad slates so just put new on and write your time and labor off.
OK, but if the next potential buyer knows what he is doing he will ask to see the slate. Cut the cloth again?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, but if the next potential buyer knows what he is doing he will ask to see the slate. Cut the cloth again?

All I know is bad slate on a table looks better with the cloth on then off.
If the realtor says I dont know about the slate:wink:
Then yes the cloth is the cheapest part of the trip.

Last edited:

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The realtor was talking about keeping it if I didn’t want it, so the felt was coming off either way...but the slate was so bad I refused to move it because I thought it was dangerous, so there went my being able to recoup my travel costs by moving it for him to his house...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The realtor was talking about keeping it if I didn’t want it, so the felt was coming off either way...but the slate was so bad I refused to move it because I thought it was dangerous, so there went my being able to recoup my travel costs by moving it for him to his house...

As said before .... learning experience. You’ll always be on guard with futures purchases of any kind. That saves a lot of time and agg.