Announcing a new wrap seam cutting tool

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have created a new method and tool for installing leather wraps on cues.

My desire was to install leather wraps, but I wasn't excited about spending $400 to $500 for a fixture to cut the seam. So I set out to create a new method and design a tool to help install leather wraps.

As most of you know, the biggest challenge is cutting the wrap ends and cutting the final wrap seam edges. The wrap seam cuting tool I designed, allows for a complete installation of the wrap while the cue is on the lathe. You do not have to remove the cue from the lathe to cut the final wrap seam.

The wrap channel end radius's are cut with a template from Superior Cues for $30, then the gluing and wrap seam edges are cut with the wrap seam cutting tool while the cue is on the lathe.

I have had great success using this method with the seam cutting tool I designed. My wrap seams have been virtually invisible.

I'm going to make and sell the wrap seam cutting tool to anyone interested for $70. The price will include the wrap seam cutting tool, 2 clamps and detailed instructions with photographs outlining the steps I take to install a wrap. The instructions will be a 36+ page PDF document on a DVD with over 50 pictures describing the installation steps. These installation instructions are probably the most comprehensive wrap installation ever written. The wrap end radius cutting guide is not included (purchase from Superior Cues or Unique). Price also includes shipping to USA locations.

Some skill and experience is required to install any wrap. This is true with any fixture or tool. There is no substitute for practice. However, this seam cutting tool can go a long way to help install quality cue wraps at a reasonable cost.

Below is a photo of the wrap seam cutting tool attached to a cue. The wrap installation is complete in the photo. I also attached some photos of recent wraps I installed. The seams are shown in the photos.

PM me for details and to purchase.

sales@strokeanalyzer.com
www.strokeanalyzer.com

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
CIMG0787.jpg
CIMG0789.jpg
CIMG0790.jpg

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks as if you are cutting through the leather while it is "overlapped" on the cue.

Is this the case?

If so, that is exactly what the wrap fixtures were designed to avoid.

Tho it is possible to get an acceptable seam cutting thru both layers at the same spot,
it is much more difficult and time consuming than leaving a slight gap.

YMMV
Dale

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having a little trouble seeing how this is:

1) A "new method"; and/or

2) why anyone else can't just make the equivalent with a cheap straight-edge, a couple of small pieces of wood (or plastic, or aluminum, or...), and some duct tape...

TW

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gentleman is trying and sounds proud of his design Thomas, let him be. Comments like this downing others is senseless, get off the pedestal. I like the initiative, congrats sir. I hope it works well for you.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
The gentleman is trying and sounds proud of his design Thomas, let him be. Comments like this downing others is senseless, get off the pedestal. I like the initiative, congrats sir. I hope it works well for you.

I think you missed the point. This is not a new idea. While i applaud the op for making his own equipement and it looks like he did a great job, it appears to be a very similar process to a wrap fixture, just without all the gadgets. I love my unique wrap magic fixture and i dont mind the cost because its a well made piece of equipment. And if i didnt have my wrap fixture, im sure i could make something to do the job, possibly quite similar to the ops fixture. I prefer to make as much of my own stuff as possible, but others may not want to do things that way. Regardless off all this, the op did a nice job making his fixture.

Joe

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no , i got the point. And it was unnecessary. May not be a new design in thought, but to build anything yourself as this gentleman had done I applaud highly.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Yes, his efforts are to be recognized but I think what TW is saying is that the concept is hardly new.
He states that he has created a new method. It's not new as I have been using a similar device for years.
Think about it, how did installers cut the seam before wrap-fixtures.
They clamped a straight-edge to the cue and cut the seam. What's new?

To show that I'm not running down the OP/seller, I'll share a tip or two from my experience.

1.) Your clamps are too small. You'll wear them out in a week.
Those are the 6" version, try the 12". They're much more heavy duty and will last longer.
Cut-off the excess length from the 12" bar because you'll never use it and it's in the way.
You only need the jaws to open what, 1-1/2", 2" max.

2.) Your alum cutting edge could stand to be beefier, it's too thin.
Every time you cut a seam, the blade has the potential to 'shave' your edge.
Before long it will no longer be straight. You might consider 1/8"x 1" stainless.

3.) Wrap-groove lengths vary. 12" is common but Pred. BKs are 16".
Can you accommodate them?

I'm not sure what your 'tabs' extending from each end of your cut/edge are for.
I've never thought they were needed or what purpose they would serve.
If you really want to be trick, permanently attach your cut/edge to ONE of the clamps.
You shouldn't do both because you don't know what the w/groove length will be.

Again, this is nothing new but I'm willing to contribute what I've learned.

Good Luck with your endeavor & HTHs.

KJ

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll try to reply to your suggestions and comments...

Guide clamps to a round cue. I assume you have tried to clamp a flat edge to a round object? I cant do it. Can you?

Tool/guide is aluminum and no material is removed from tool when you use it. Stainless would increase the cost and is not required. If your cutting aluminum with a razor blade, I'd like to know how you do it.

The clamps I use are inexpensive and suit the purpose for this application. I wanted to keep the cost down.

The extending ears are whats new, allowing the flat guide to clamp to the round cue. :thumbup:

Tool/guide can be used to cut wrap grooves under 13.5". The tool was designed for the majority of wrap installs. Original design was over 16", but a little more expensive to make and I assume if someone spends the money for a Predator, they will want to keep the wrap they ordered. Tool could easily be made longer...but I see no need at this point.

Thanks for your suggestions. As I stated before...I was trying to offer a tool to provide an inexpensive method to do wrap installs. I have no ambitions to get rich from any sales. :wink:

Cheers
Bob

Yes, his efforts are to be recognized but I think what TW is saying is that the concept is hardly new.
He states that he has created a new method. It's not new as I have been using a similar device for years.
Think about it, how did installers cut the seam before wrap-fixtures.
They clamped a straight-edge to the cue and cut the seam. What's new?

To show that I'm not running down the OP/seller, I'll share a tip or two from my experience.

1.) Your clamps are too small. You'll wear them out in a week.
Those are the 6" version, try the 12". They're much more heavy duty and will last longer.
Cut-off the excess length from the 12" bar because you'll never use it and it's in the way.
You only need the jaws to open what, 1-1/2", 2" max.

2.) Your alum cutting edge could stand to be beefier, it's too thin.
Every time you cut a seam, the blade has the potential to 'shave' your edge.
Before long it will no longer be straight. You might consider 1/8"x 1" stainless.

3.) Wrap-groove lengths vary. 12" is common but Pred. BKs are 16".
Can you accommodate them?

I'm not sure what your 'tabs' extending from each end of your cut/edge are for.
I've never thought they were needed or what purpose they would serve.
If you really want to be trick, permanently attach your cut/edge to ONE of the clamps.
You shouldn't do both because you don't know what the w/groove length will be.

Again, this is nothing new but I'm willing to contribute what I've learned.

Good Luck with your endeavor & HTHs.

KJ

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the devil is in the details eh? That's where the included install document comes in to describe and show in detail how its done. Short answer is...its all about having markers on the ends of the wrap channel and using those markers to replace the guide for repeatable seam cutting. It works! I've done is many times.

Bob

Good to hear. Can you explain how, esp how you keep both cuts
perfectly parallel and accurately spaced?

Thanks.

BTW. It was a question, not an assertion.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the devil is in the details eh? That's where the included install document comes in to describe and show in detail how its done. Short answer is...its all about having markers on the ends of the wrap channel and using those markers to replace the guide for repeatable seam cutting. It works! I've done is many times.

Bob

It all sounds good. But if it has to be un-clamped, then re-clamped to
make the second cut, all by hand and eyeballing pencil marks...IMHO
you are going to have a pretty tuff sell at $70. Except to Tom Hay :).

Shame we don't have more like him.

Dale(self appointed marketing consultant)

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used this tool/method many times with great success. In my opinion its tougher to sell a $400 gadget that does the same thing :p

There is no need to justify your original $400 purchase by knocking my $70 equivalent.

Just consider the tool to be free and the included document describing in detail how to install a wrap is worth the $70. Shipping is free also.

fyi..I recently closely examined a leather wrap installed by a well know high end cue maker (no name mentioned). My wrap installs look as good if not BETTER than his.

Cheers
Bob

It all sounds good. But if it has to be un-clamped, then re-clamped to
make the second cut, all by hand and eyeballing pencil marks...IMHO
you are going to have a pretty tuff sell at $70. Except to Tom Hay :).

Shame we don't have more like him.

Dale(self appointed marketing consultant)

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I have used this tool/method many times with great success. In my opinion its tougher to sell a $400 gadget that does the same thing :p

There is no need to justify your original $400 purchase by knocking my $70 equivalent.

Just consider the tool to be free and the included document describing in detail how to install a wrap is worth the $70. Shipping is free also.

fyi..I recently closely examined a leather wrap installed by a well know high end cue maker (no name mentioned). My wrap installs look as good if not BETTER than his.

Cheers
Bob

Rather than knock someone for what they use, try and stick to the merits of your product. You dont know what others use. McWorter has a jig he made from wood.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers
Bob

Perhaps I should corrrect your assumption. I have not, and will not, buy
"the" jig. Though I have sponged off the good nature of a few friends that
do have them.

So far, I have yet to hear anything that indicates this gadget will work
any better than a $3 steel ruler and a few pieces of masking tape. Which
I'm pretty sure isn't 'new'. Perhaps I just lack imagination.

Dale(who thinks the world needs a modestly priced, failsafe,
seam cutter... so I think I'll build one)

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This tool/guide is NOT just a simple ruler that's clamped to the cue.

Why you insist on trying to degrade, demean or under estimate the value of this tool is beyond me.

As stated in my original post...I'm selling this tool for those that want to install leather wraps and do not want to spend $400 for a seam cutting tool or spend many hours copying the $400 tool. The tool is unique and the method of install is new as far as I personally have seen. I'm a cue repair hack...not a cue maker. I install cue wraps as a side hobby. I think this tool is well suited for someone like me or even a professional cue maker.

Bob

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice to anyone contemplating paying $70 for this thing would be to consider a very simple alternative. Go to you local Home Depot (Lowe's, Menard's, etc.) and poke through their metal bin. You should find a piece of 1" x 1" angle aluminum about .050" thick. Might cost you all of $16.

Cut an appropriate length (~ 18"?) and add a short 7/16" thick (or so) block of wood to one inside face, at about the middle of its length. This small block will rest against the side of the wrap area, somewhere near the mid-line of the cue, and will stabilize the aluminum top plate while you clamp it in place (wherever you like). Because the added side block is short you can easily angle the top edge (which will be your cutting guide) to the left or right to line up with any indexing marks you may have.

Easy to make, easy to use, and you get enough aluminum (96" total) to make several more as you see fit. Hell, maybe you can get someone to pay you $70 each for 'em.

TW