Knuckle saver

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my knuckle saver made from a Planters peanut lid.

CIMG0905.jpg

CIMG0906.jpg

CIMG0907.jpg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have made a few of those through the years out of nut can lids, but never thought to use the velcro. Great idea.

nineballer6977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
knuckle gaurds

What a brilliant idea !!! I have 2 busted knuckles right now from the chuck on my lathe

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My knuckle saver is an ER40 collet set up.
I really like the velcro on the chuck jaws. A way better idea than using the double sided tape.

picture.php

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I posted the Velcro idea about 12 months ago at least.....the big deal IMO, is that it stops the cutting dust from getting sucked into the jaws and spread around like a blower, so if you have dust collection, like we all should have, it can actually get drawn into it rather then blown around.
Dave

My knuckle saver is an ER40 collet set up.
I really like the velcro on the chuck jaws. A way better idea than using the double sided tape.

picture.php

Was this a setup you machined? I've been considering making an ER32 or 40 spindle setup like a taig spindle for doing repair work.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this a setup you machined? I've been considering making an ER32 or 40 spindle setup like a taig spindle for doing repair work.

The picture is just a phenolic ferrule and a jump tip that was turned.
The ER40 set up is something I turned up to fit the existing 40mm id bearings that are in common Taig type headstocks.
I use the Rego-Fix brand ER40 collet nuts and collets, but have brought some cheaper collets to see what they were like.
In this set up is the 25mm collet with a wood sleeve to suite the shaft taper.
The back thread is the **x 32tpi that suite the Taig type 3 and 4 jaw chucks.
I think the through hole on mine is Ø31mm

I was going to make it ER32 but chose the 40 for the larger through size and the slightly larger nut diameter, gives enough diameter to be tight enough without having to use a spanner to tighten it up.

If you want any more info then feel free to PM your email and I can send you that info to email directly.
Neil