Extension parts

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking about making an extension for my custom cue. The type that attaches to the butt end of the cue. Looks like the most economical way is to use a 5/16-14 insert and pin. I'd rather use something what would connect faster. Like a uniloc, but I dont want to spend a lot for taps and pins and inserts. I also think a uniloc would be a poor choice due to cost and possible dirt getting in the connection. Can someone suggest a type and source for a pin and insert that would be low cost and screw together faster than a 5/16-14 thread and use a standard low cost tap?

Thanks

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make the pin like a viking pin. Just turn down the front of the pin like an alignment barrel and use the last two or three threads.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made something like that 10 years ago
Uniloc pin and insert 10 bucks
No special taps to install
When I get home will look for pics

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the nice pics. Thats pretty close to what Im planning. The cue butt I have requires a special friction fit bumper and has no hole in it. Im planning to burn a hole through the bumper as I dont think drilling or cutting a hole will work. Have any experience burning holes in bumpers? Im planning to use Delrin for the extension body. I also bought 5/16-14 parts. The thinking was less thread for faster connection. The pin is SS. I probably should have bought 5/16-18 brass pin and insert. I bought a 5/16-14 tap off ebay. The tap was the most expensive of all the parts...haha. Well I will probably use the tap again someday.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Im planning to burn a hole through the bumper as I dont think drilling or cutting a hole will work. Have any experience burning holes in bumpers?"

Put the bumper in the freezer overnight - then you can cut or drill it.
My 2 cents,
Gary

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give that a try. I know rubber can be machined if frozen with liquid nitrogen. Im surprised a freezer can get rubber cold enough to machine. Got to be quick too eh? haha

Thanks for the tip

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got this project completed. Turned out pretty nice. I didnt get the color matched as well as I wanted, but functionally the extension works great.Making the extension and modifying the butt was a lot more complicated than I expected :smile:
Extension1.jpg

Extension2.jpg

Extension3.jpg

Bob

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
"Im planning to burn a hole through the bumper as I dont think drilling or cutting a hole will work. Have any experience burning holes in bumpers?"

Put the bumper in the freezer overnight - then you can cut or drill it.
My 2 cents,
Gary
PM sent.

Alan