Cue archaeology

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was given a bar cue that was headed for the dumpster. Had a broken shaft and rattle in the butt. I decided to drill in and see what the rattle was...assuming it was a lose weight bolt. I was surprised to find this....

weight.jpg

I wasnt sure what to expect...but this hunk of steel was the last thing I expected!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not as bad a drill bit left inside . :D
It's been posted here.

I repaired a Huebler whose joint screw came off today.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've pulled re-bar for concrete work out of a Viking one time just after the cue exploded. The customer wanted the cue to weigh more. There was no place for a weight bolt in the back of the cue. It was just solid maple. i started to drill a 5/16 hole about 11" deep which I intended to tap to 3/8-16. I got about 6" in and the bit hit the rebar and veered off to the side and the cue exploded from the front of the wrap back. They had drove the rebar in and then plugged the hole. I had to replace the handle and make programs for all of the inlays. All this for a 5.00 charge to add some weight.

Isn't being a cue builder grand?

Dick

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I pulled a plug of lead someone poured into the cue hot. I dont know how the butt sleeve didnt crack.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He didn't glue them ?

Antique cue. It was put in there a LONG time ago if not from day 1 when manufactured.

I should mention that I cut through the slug when I parted the butt end off. The lead was originally one piece.

Last edited:

winners07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rebar

Found this in this old oak titlist i am doing a segmated handle on.

Attachments

• IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 452

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Antique cue. It was put in there a LONG time ago if not from day 1 when manufactured.

I should mention that I cut through the slug when I parted the butt end off. The lead was originally one piece.
I wonder when lead wires came into the market .

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I've pulled re-bar for concrete work out of a Viking one time just after the cue exploded. The customer wanted the cue to weigh more. There was no place for a weight bolt in the back of the cue. It was just solid maple. i started to drill a 5/16 hole about 11" deep which I intended to tap to 3/8-16. I got about 6" in and the bit hit the rebar and veered off to the side and the cue exploded from the front of the wrap back. They had drove the rebar in and then plugged the hole. I had to replace the handle and make programs for all of the inlays. All this for a 5.00 charge to add some weight.
Isn't being a cue builder grand?

I've pulled rebar out of cues, too. :grin::grin:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Solid metal bars has always been the norm for weighting in older house cues.

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the best way to remove a hunk of weight from an old Duffrin house cue?

With any house cue, if the weight is lose...its easier to remove. What if its not lose?