Weight of finish

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the weight of a typical finish. Something like clear coat. I know it will depend on how many layers of finish is applied. So maybe a range of weight or weight per coat?

Thanks
Bob

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the standard 32 ounces per quart fluid weight, .2 ounces for a .004 thick finish on a .840/1.27 cue. This will probably vary slightly depending on the specific finish and the wood.

Last edited:

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your 32oz per quart weight is pure liquid. Most finishes have solvents that release/evaporate over time after sprayed. A typical acrylic lacquer has around 36% solids, which make the solids weight around 36% of 32oz/qt or 11.5oz/qt. The resultant weight of the finish would be closer to .04oz by my back of the envelope calcs.

Seems the additional weight added by either calculation is far less than I expected. Was an interesting exercise at any rate...haha

Cheers
Bob

The 32oz quart has nothing to do with weight, btw.

Gotta love the imperial (redneck) system of measurement where a pound (mass) is a pound (force, and on earth), but an ounce (mass) is not an ounce (volume).

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The quart of liquid is just a reference. Quart(32oz) of water weighs 2 pounds(32oz). Quart of liquid is 57.8 cu in. Volume of finish is about .2 cu in. (.004 thick finish on a .840/1.27 cue).

.2/57.8=.00346x32=.11oz

Assuming 36% of finish is solids then .36x.11=.04oz

Check my math...I've only had 1 cup of coffee :p

Bob

The quart of liquid is just a reference. Quart(32oz) of water weighs 2 pounds(32oz). Quart of liquid is 57.8 cu in. Volume of finish is about .2 cu in. (.004 thick finish on a .840/1.27 cue).

.2/57.8=.00346x32=.11oz

Bob

Your math is likely fine, your logic is what I find lacking.

The solids fall out of suspension in finish, which mean that they are heavier.

I expect that the 36% is by volume, not by weigh.

So, basically you have started with four pieces of information and made several assumptions that are unlikely to be correct.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

.2/57.8=.00346x32=.11oz

Bob

This doesn't look right. Volume of a frustum of a cone that is .840/1.27 is 25.7018 cubic inches. The volume of a frustum of a cone that is .832/1.262 is 25.3188. The volume difference is .383. Maybe you calculated a .002 thickness instead of .004.

In my weight and balance program help document I suggest weighing one's cue after final sanding and then weighting again after final buff and use the difference, cue's dimensions, and the finish thickness one shoots for to calculate an end density of the finish. That number will vary for each cuemaker by some amount. The default number for this in my program is 80 pounds per cubic foot, so I either did this years ago myself, or I had a friend who uses the same finish I use to provide me with some numbers. I don't remember.

My 32 ounce/quart reply, which is about 60 pounds per cubic foot, was to give a gross ballpark number. When I replied, I didn't have my program available and couldn't remember what my default was offhand.

Based on 80 pounds/cubic foot, my program says .27 ounces. That isn't terribly far from Joey's 10 grams estimate.

Last edited:

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Maybe you calculated a .002 thickness instead of .004."

Thats exactly what I did..haha.

After reworking the math...I get around .21oz.

That ignores any loss of evaporation in finish.

A lot of assumptions.

Joey says 10 grams which is .35oz.
You say .27oz
I calc .21oz

OK well they all close and I guess the fudge for evaporation is not there? hmmm

Thanks for all the input on this.

Cheers
Bob

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure which direction you are trying to go with an evaporation fudge.

As a finish gasses off it is going to shrink. If a finish ends up being .004 thick on a cue, the raw material that went on (I'm ignoring what was sanded/rubbed off) was more than .004 thick. Maybe .006 thick worth before pinching down due to evaporation. I don't know enough about what the solids weigh that are suspended in a finish, but I guess they are more dense than the fluids they are suspended in, which might explain the 60 versus the 80 numbers.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not weigh a cue before finish is applied and after it is done? It would be like a test or experiment.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief!

Why not weigh a cue before finish is applied and after it is done? It would be like a test or experiment.

Far too easy. Just subtraction? What fun would that be? Far too sensible.

Let's count angels on the head of a pin instead.

Robin Snyder

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm sure one of you guys has weighed the cue before and after. What does a typical finish weigh? Experimental data only please, no more theories;)

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get rich quick!

Joe, you should be all over this. An instructional DVD would sell like hotcakes!

Robin Snyder