Predator Vantage shaft

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a customer that needs a tip replaced on a vantage shaft from predator. Under the tip there is a pad. Does anyone know if that pad is the standard fiber pad available from several sources or is it some special pad only predator uses?

Their hype says...."V-Tek Fiber Tip Silencing. Our proprietary blend creates a stronger and more tactile glueing surface, while creating an audibly pleasing sound upon contact with the ball."

What would you do if the pad had to be replaced?

Tech-New-Shaft-th.jpg

Thanks

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not necessary to replace the pad - simply and carefully trim the old tip down to the pad with your lathe cutting tool. Face off the pad by taking .001-.002" to get a fresh face and then install the new tip as usual.
My 2 cents,
Gary

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Send it to Seybert's/Predator warranty.
Your client's warranty is at stake.

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems this shaft should be renamed to the Dis-Advantage shaft if its got to be sent back for tip replacement. Even if the pad can be trimmed a few thou for each tip replacement, over time the pad will need replacing and then I guess its back to predator repair. Not much of an advantage for the end user. Shipping cost plus tip replacement at warranty repair could easily be $75. What a Dis-Advantage.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Seems this shaft should be renamed to the Dis-Advantage shaft if its got to be sent back for tip replacement. Even if the pad can be trimmed a few thou for each tip replacement, over time the pad will need replacing and then I guess its back to predator repair. Not much of an advantage for the end user. Shipping cost plus tip replacement at warranty repair could easily be $75. What a Dis-Advantage.

That's Predator for you.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member

Let's be clear here, the shaft doesn't need to be 'sent back' for tip replacement.
Replacing a tip on a Predator shaft is done exactly the same as on any other shaft.
Most installers know enough not to mess with the pad,
particularly when they have no experience with the shaft.
How this pad got removed or damaged in the process of a normal tip install will remain a mystery.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If the tip came off during normal usage, and the pad with it, then sending it back to predator should be just the cost of shipping. The tips are sold to predator as a unit..tip AND pad together. I know this as their service guy told me that's how they get them...it's pre-assembled. So if the tip and pad came off as a unit, that's a manufacturer defect. Just contact them and send the old tip/pad combo and the shaft back to them.
Dave

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hi David,

The tip/pad arrangement you've described was associated with the break cues.
The game cues didn't have a pad (think Tiger Everest) until 3rd Gen & Vantage.
In this case it's not a traditional pad. It's an integral part of the ferrule/tenon.