Struggling to get back in stroke

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped playing for over a year and just now starting to shoot again. Decided I want to get serious about pool again. Having trouble getting back into stroke. Any suggestions other than not posting and reading the forums???

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit while you can
the same factors that caused you to quit are still the same

you are not going to be pro,there is no action in pool
and if there were it is seldom easy or soft action

make something of yourself

Quit pool while you have a chance

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Down to head rail back to foot rail, stop on the spot. It's good table speed and will tell you if your stroking straight. I'd start there daily.

Work on perfect straight back draw w control of distance drawn. Demands a straight stroke, gotta have draw control.

Then play your favorite game a few times and go back to those drills, then play some games and keep rotating on that for awhile.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit while you can

Thank You. I Will Take This Under Advisement...

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped playing for over a year and just now starting to shoot again. Decided I want to get serious about pool again. Having trouble getting back into stroke. Any suggestions other than not posting and reading the forums???

Is there any substitute for table time and hitting a million balls? I think not.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Quit while you can

Nonsense! Glue is coming.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quit while you can

I quit 100 times and not done. Who said quitters never quit?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Is there any substitute for table time and hitting a million balls? I think not.

Yes, because if your hitting those million balls wrong you won't get too far. Seen people who've played for a decade and never improve and they probably won't over the next decade either.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit while you can

Assumptions...

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you seek out a coach or instructor? I've notice players will happily spend hundreds for the latest cue or shaft, but wouldn't spend a dime for instruction or coaching.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seek out a coach or instructor? I've notice players will happily spend hundreds for the latest cue or shaft, but wouldn't spend a dime for instruction or coaching.

This. I've talked to several people who claim to be "interested in lessons" but are clearly not interested in PAYING for lessons. I've even heard people trying to talk other players out of taking lessons! Ignore those people: knowledge is power and a few hours of lessons can pay dividends for years to come.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seek out a coach or instructor? I've notice players will happily spend hundreds for the latest cue or shaft, but wouldn't spend a dime for instruction or coaching.[/Q

Not yet.

I spent many years training under Ken Tewksbury and a few other coaches (weekly and bi weekly) plus with instructors like Scott Lee and Joe Tucker.

Bit this might be a great way to get back, thanks.

Pete

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just keep playing, just keep playing, playing playing PLAYINNNGGG.

Dorey said it best.

Find leagues, tournaments. Where in MA are you?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete...I've offered this to you before. A followup lesson, with video analysis, will show you where you are with your stroke. The instructor will then offer a program designed to help you achieve the results you're looking for. I come to Boston every year! Last April a great Canadian player from Quebec came down to meet me for three days of lessons in Boston.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Have you seek out a coach or instructor? I've notice players will happily spend hundreds for the latest cue or shaft, but wouldn't spend a dime for instruction or coaching.[/Q

Not yet.

I spent many years training under Ken Tewksbury and a few other coaches (weekly and bi weekly) plus with instructors like Scott Lee and Joe Tucker.

Bit this might be a great way to get back, thanks.

Pete

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm like you. Quit to hunt prairie dogs during the summer but back to pool for the winter. Took a lesson and found what my weaknesses are. Working on those now.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in and out of pool since 2009 (started playing in 2002). I dwindled down from a full 1000+ log hours of practice and additional competing. Took lessons for multiple years plus clinics as stated.

Before in 2016 I was starting up for a couple months but my mother got sick and I stopped completely throughout 2017. Played a little right before she passed in league but then stopped completely until 4 weeks ago.

So what I am looking for are drills to help with loosening my stroke (big 9 ball type stroke is my norm so I've been told) and help hone in on my aim (use Hal Houl's system like the 1/4 ball system taught to me by Koop). And I'm a front hand English guy not the CTE or back hand styles.

If I'm still struggling in April will try to set up with Scott...