Has anyone seen this joint construction technique before?

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out the brass pin through joint and screw anyone seen this before? Its on an old ebony titlist conversion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190224-091203_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-091203_eBay.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 831

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This can also be seen in early Palmers but it's not very common. It was a solid pin used to prevent the joint screw from turning. This one is pretty visible but when they are polished smooth, you really have to look.

Last edited:

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This can also be seen in early Palmers but it's not very common. It was a solid pin used to prevent the joint screw from turning. This one is pretty visible but when they are polished smooth, you really have to look.

Good info, thanks. There is an interesting cue im looking at with a brass but plate, rectangle MOP butt inlay, carved handle into ebony titlist with points cut off by the joint, it a Frankenstein looking cue, makes me think of the outside the box style of Paradise but im far from an expert. Heres a few more pics,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190224-130245_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-130245_eBay.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 643
  • Screenshot_20190224-130236_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-130236_eBay.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 647
  • Screenshot_20190224-130226_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-130226_eBay.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 638

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Noticed that auction.
Never seen a brass butt plate like that.
Expect somebody a long long time ago took a very old rosewood butt and joined it to a 26.5 cue.
When, why or who is anyone's guess.
The points of the cue were cut off by the brass joint. Unusual feature.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Good info, thanks. There is an interesting cue im looking at with a brass but plate, rectangle MOP butt inlay, carved handle into ebony titlist with points cut off by the joint, it a Frankenstein looking cue, makes me think of the outside the box style of Paradise but im far from an expert. Heres a few more pics,

The cue is ancient, 1920's or earlier I would guess. It probably started life as a 26 1/2 and someone modified it. The checkered handle looks just like the handles on some early Brunswicks ( a 15 cent option, LOL). The modifications were done a long time ago as well. Looking at the pics, I would guess it is heavily oxidized rosewood. I have a few cues that color myself. Unfortunately, the joint position removes any desire I might have to own it.

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick/BruswickCollectorColorPlates.html

Last edited: