Is the Cue Market Dead Now and Forever?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Woah, easy there. 2008 has fully recovered and more....

I was hoping you were at least going to compliment me on my cue selection choices. I certainly think yours are great, especially the Tascarellas, as I'm a fan of the traditional designs.

Sure, hence "climbing" out... As for your cue chooses, that wasn't the reason I posted BUT in being fair I don't know all of your choices but anyone who chooses Tascarella is doing something right in my book... No worries it's all good...

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this talk of bonds, investments, portfolios, etc.
If you're really smart, or lucky, you can make a killing in the market. Same thing can be said for pool cues.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
IF that is all true, then why have I not been able to pull 2800 out of a mint
condition 3800 Hanssen cue ?????

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=392672

I since some hostility here. I hope I'm just reading into this wrong.

First I would like to point out that of the 100s of cues Keith and I have sold in the last two years, yours is one of very few for sale. So my original statement still rings fairly true.

Second, I was not aware this cue was for sale, and I may have a potential buyer. I will let him know that it is listed for sale here. I may even be interested in buying it back. Keith and I strive to give the best customer service that we possibly can. If there is a problem with the cue, we'd love to fix it. We try to go the extra mile when ever possible for our customers.

Finally I would like to say that when buying cues as investments, you should stick to what sells. 4 pointed, veneered boringness seems to bring a premium, as well as the "name" builders.

youngmister

Registered
Personally, I think pool, as a whole, is in need of some sort of revival.

Let me tell you my pool story:
I'm 29, and the only reason I have an extreme interest in pool was because when I was 9 years old my parents had the presence of mind to notice that my brother and I liked playing around on my Dad's pool table in the basement. The only reason he even had the table was because it was a graduation gift given to him way before we were even born. I also know my parents really liked 'The Color Of Money', which probably had a factor in why the table was even gifted in the first place.

For Christmas one year, my parents bought each of us a small 1 piece junior cue and signed us up for a youth pool league at a local pool hall (it was more like a bar or a townhall that had more pool tables than most places) We played youth pool from 9 years old, all the way through 20 years old, which is the age cutoff for the tournaments.

Now, years later, I'm still playing pool because I developed a passion for it early. It became something my family did together. My parents started joining leagues, and making friends with all the other parents, we went to youth nationals in the summers, and at one point my parents ended up owning a pool hall in town (though it never ended up being a very profitable endeavor).

I look at pool today, and I see no real reason for the population to even develop an interest. Pool halls are closing because no one wants to go or can afford to invest the time in the game. Outside of the random college bros who might play a game on the bar box for $1.50 in quarters (assuming your at a place that even HAS a table). In the mindset of the general populous, pool as a game has been relegated to a minor entertainment for anyone who has quarters and a friend drunk enough to play a game. There hasn't even been a decent 'pool movie' since 'The Color Of Money' to help romanticize the game. (And before anyone mentions it…Im going to say I don't count 'Poolhall Junkies' because that movie sucked. it sucked hard).

I think if people want to see the popularity of pool return (as well as the Pool Market), we need to think about ways to evangelize the game and grow a community around it. Organize local youth leagues and/or encourage pool halls to have more classes for all ages. Only reason I'm here, is because I happened to have had a chance to get exposed to the sport early, and make it a way to have fun with my time as a kid. Was never really a good student in school, and only developed some solid social skills after high school. But growing up…hands down, my FAVORITE day of the week was Sunday, cause I knew we'd be going to the hall and I'd get to shoot some pool.

Heck, I dunno. I may just be barking soliloquies

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have been buying, selling and trading cues for the past 12 years. Each year the market has gotten progressively worse. It appears to be impossible to sell cues for real money anymore. I've seen the same cues being offered for sale at reasonable prices for several months in the Wanted/For Sale section of AZ and not selling. Is the cue market dead now and forever?

If the so-called reasonably priced cues are not selling, then maybe their prices are not so reasonable after all. That is how the market works. The sellers are of course to stubborn (or maybe stupid?) to understand this and since it is not a great expense to post here they keep bumping or reposting the same cues at the same prices over and over, hoping for a sucker to fall for it.

Lots of cues are priced insanely by people purchasing at a market high, then expecting the prices to rise into infinity. The fact is that the interest for pool is dwindling both in the US and Europe. The people on here collecting cues are either middle aged or too old to even play the game (I can't be the only one to see this, right?). What does that tell you about the future market for cues?

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I since some hostility here. I hope I'm just reading into this wrong.

First I would like to point out that of the 100s of cues Keith and I have sold in the last two years, yours is one of very few for sale. So my original statement still rings fairly true.

Second, I was not aware this cue was for sale, and I may have a potential buyer. I will let him know that it is listed for sale here. I may even be interested in buying it back. Keith and I strive to give the best customer service that we possibly can. If there is a problem with the cue, we'd love to fix it. We try to go the extra mile when ever possible for our customers.

Finally I would like to say that when buying cues as investments, you should stick to what sells. 4 pointed, veneered boringness seems to bring a premium, as well as the "name" builders.

Excellent response

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A big part of the problem with the used cue market is cue flipping. Someone puchases a cue for $1,000 and then relist it for $2,000. I recently saw a used cue with made by Jerry -R-, with significant signs of wear, listed for $2,000 which Jerry said he would make new for $1,800. Now I understand supply and demand, but the cue market has an ever increasing supply and a currently decreasing demand, so unless your willing to hold a rare, out of production cue made by a hall of fame cue maker, for a resonal amount of time, the value will not significantly increase. MHO

gforces1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues

I will say that I have been reluctant to pull the trigger recently--could just be that I don't play that much anymore.

I did see a Lambros that I thought was a good deal--and I may still buy it.

I just ordered a cue from Bob Danielson--I wanted to try one of his cues.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Seems pretty strong to me

Been keeping an eyeball on cues and prices .Looking like a steady climb in price for something of quality whether it's a custom or production. Some cue makers are asking a few hundred more now than they were a 3-4 yrs ago when I slowed down and got hitched. I actually sold a few cues that it would cost me a lot more to replace than what they cost just that short time ago . Cue makers at least the good ones are worth what they get and then some.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Been keeping an eyeball on cues and prices .Looking like a steady climb in price for something of quality whether it's a custom or production. Some cue makers are asking a few hundred more now than they were a 3-4 yrs ago when I slowed down and got hitched. I actually sold a few cues that it would cost me a lot more to replace than what they cost just that short time ago . Cue makers at least the good ones are worth what they get and then some.

Not forget, the nice woods prices going to the roof:wink: the last years:eek:

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the market for the hard to get cues, Szam, Hercek, Southwest, Searing is still good. Granted the dollars are harder to come bye but these guys are in short supply. I am 57 yrs old and I'd probably be blind before I could get a cue from any of them if not dead.
Still finding someone willing to pay the price isn't easy.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I thought cues and cue collecting was about enjoyment. The ROI would be the joy of owning and using. Any $ increase would be an added plus. As long as the economy stays slow. All collectibles will remain flat or decrease. Except those that catch the attention of the very wealth.

Larry

Yup.

Scott

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thought with the emphasis on ivory it will probably affect some of the past and future construction and sales.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I'm still of the view that the cue market is fairly dead, I recently sold a loaded, original Bushka with a Spain forearm for $15,000 cash, so apparently there still is a cash buyer or two out there. You just have to turn over a bunch of rocks to find them.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I think its dying bc flippers overload cue makers with orders making people angry and they decide to either wait or buy from other countless cue makers out there these days. or go production that play as good, just to name a few-jacoby, schon, pechaeur, joss , mezz. or go LD which is what most customs end up getting, such as but not limited to predator, OB, mezz, tiger, Mcdermott, jacoby, lucasi, players-( their LD shafts are surprisingly fantastic and cost a fraction of others). this is to cut out the middle man ( flipper) and save a whole buncha money, or buy used and save a whole buncha money, or trade and spend shipping fees. that sound right? makes sense to me. but at least you can always post in the cue and case gallery before ultimately posting on the for sale thread. but theres always that one cue that that one guy (or gal) falls in love with and decides to buy from you.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have no desire to play with a 2000.00 dollar cue that most likely doesn't Hit a Ton or Play Lights out any better than some of my 500.00 dollar or less cues.

Want a reasonably priced cue that plays well and looks like a $2000.00 plus cue.

A few of the Filipino cue makers can do that for you.

Unless you are collecting Fancy Schmancy that will never see a piece of chalk or a table, the Jig is Up for most at this moment.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You see lots of the same people

"$3000 showstopper cue" on Monday

A week later its "price reduced, now $1250"
IMHO, It all boils down to greed, and no longer being happy with a few hundred profit

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultimately....it helps to know what you want ahead of time......fancy....simple......get whatever combination/design/specs are tailored to your game and if you're not sure, stick with inexpensive cues until you find or figure it out.

Matt B.