Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Sky Woodward - Record "24" ?
Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuddy View Post
Yeah, the second shot was basically dead on pocket weight but went thin. I suspect thick would have taken another 3 or 4 cm off the CB.
Yes sir, at least that much.

Ive not had much energy/time to spend at table lately so, what time i do get for now will be spent playing 14.1.

After things get back to normal and im able to spend my normal time and energy at table Im gonna spend a little time on it.

I tried today for about 15 minutes and i realized I just eat up about 15 minutes of time to play 14.1 because im having to look after my wife for now. She's getting better and i thought a couple weeks ago she was at a point where she was ok but, a set back was in our future. It happens.

Anyways, IMO, going by what I saw in your vid, if you had hit that second shot a little thicker and a tad easier, you would have stopped at least a few inches earlier, which would have put you in ballpark of where i try for when doing that drill.

Think back to shots while playing in competition where you thought you missed due to shooting to easy and the ob acted like it was gonna stay on table but, drops at the last second. Well, thats the speed that I was able to stay a couple inches on the spot side of the last diamond.

It takes some (people like me) way more practice time to get there than it does others but, it's doable.

Some may not think they can do it but, if they put enough effort into it they would see they can. Especially if their equipment (balls/felt) conditions are optimal, that in itself makes a huge difference.

I would never ruin a cue ball just to shoot that shot but, if you happen to ha cb thaold and worn down, use it with a newer ob and you'll see what im talking about if you dont already.

Have a good one,

Jeff

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#77)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Yes sir, at least that much.

Ive not had much energy/time to spend at table lately so, what time i do get for now will be spent playing 14.1.

After things get back to normal and im able to spend my normal time and energy at table Im gonna spend a little time on it.

I tried today for about 15 minutes and i realized I just eat up about 15 minutes of time to play 14.1 because im having to look after my wife for now. She's getting better and i thought a couple weeks ago she was at a point where she was ok but, a set back was in our future. It happens.

Anyways, IMO, going by what I saw in your vid, if you had hit that second shot a little thicker and a tad easier, you would have stopped at least a few inches earlier, which would have put you in ballpark of where i try for when doing that drill.

Think back to shots while playing in competition where you thought you missed due to shooting to easy and the ob acted like it was gonna stay on table but, drops at the last second. Well, thats the speed that I was able to stay a couple inches on the spot side of the last diamond.

It takes some (people like me) way more practice time to get there than it does others but, it's doable.

Some may not think they can do it but, if they put enough effort into it they would see they can. Especially if their equipment (balls/felt) conditions are optimal, that in itself makes a huge difference.

I would never ruin a cue ball just to shoot that shot but, if you happen to ha cb thaold and worn down, use it with a newer ob and you'll see what im talking about if you dont already.

Have a good one,

Jeff

Man , I wish I was recording. I stopped the cueball one diamond from the rail. No side, just a plain ball hit. Now Iím trying it with check side/inside english, and a little swerve to see how far I can push it.

Damn you! For two reasons: Iím now obsessed with seeing how short I can stop it, and playing at absolute dead weight has mad me realise my table has a slight roll off on this particular angle. And I just had the damn thing leveled!

Old
  (#78)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Man , I wish I was recording. I stopped the cueball one diamond from the rail. No side, just a plain ball hit. ....
I think something funny happened.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#79)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Donít think so. I posted a video on the previous page stopping it 5or 6 cm from the rail, and expressing my incredulity at stopping it 15cm from the rail. As I matter of interest I shot the it a few more times before hitting the sack this evening. Thick side of the pocket, dead weight, no kicks on contact, and CB held up millimeters past the first diamond from the bottom rail. Iím now pushing my incredulity to 1.5 diamonds without shenanigans (swerve, etc).

Old
  (#80)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Donít think so. I posted a video on the previous page stopping it 5or 6 cm from the rail, and expressing my incredulity at stopping it 15cm from the rail. As I matter of interest I shot the it a few more times before hitting the sack this evening. Thick side of the pocket, dead weight, no kicks on contact, and CB held up millimeters past the first diamond from the bottom rail. Iím now pushing my incredulity to 1.5 diamonds without shenanigans (swerve, etc).
To satisfy the question of ball weight, you could try reversing the two balls.

I have played the shot quite a few times in the past and had pretty good speed on the object ball and never stopped the cue ball anywhere near that short. I have a 9-foot table with 5-inch pockets available.

Which way is your roll? How long is your table?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#81)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Man , I wish I was recording. I stopped the cueball one diamond from the rail. No side, just a plain ball hit. Now Iím trying it with check side/inside english, and a little swerve to see how far I can push it.

Damn you! For two reasons: Iím now obsessed with seeing how short I can stop it, and playing at absolute dead weight has mad me realise my table has a slight roll off on this particular angle. And I just had the damn thing leveled!
Yep, 1 to 1.25 diamonds from end rail is possible. I know, as you do now.

When i first posted in this thread, i thought that was the spot shot he was shooting.

I was thinking damn, that is freaking amazing to make that many in a row and not hit a rail.

I originally said 1.5 diamonds cause i was sitting in ER waiting for test results and threw numbers out from memory when in fact it was 14 inches from rail, but that was one shot out of many, many, many attempts.

Its as your seeing not as hard as some think to stay 8 to 10 inch3from rail and even further if conditions are right.

Like you, i got hooked on that drill. I spent hiurs and hours doing it. I don't regret it but, i do wish i had saved it on video cause i would be able to just "post it" and then get back to 14.1 instead of taking what little energy and time I have right now to do it...that wouldn't be a wise decision on my part.

Again, good shooting and congrats on learning your touch ajd table even better!

Jeff

Old
  (#82)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

06-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yep, 1 to 1.25 diamonds from end rail is possible. I know, as you do now. ...
Just so everyone is clear on what's happening, here's the shot but Jeff says it's possible to stop the cue ball even a few inches sooner than shown.

Name:  CropperCapture[332].png
Views: 130
Size:  21.1 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 06-24-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Old
  (#83)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Just so everyone is clear on what's happening, here's the shot but Jeff says it's possible to stop the cue ball even a few inches sooner than shown.

Attachment 523317
Yes sir, thats exactly what Jeff is saying.

You either forgot or chose to leave out critical information though:

cb and ob weight is of most importance.

Also, another factor that can effect outcome is a crater at spot area.

There's a table i play on ever so often that has a small hole where 1 ball sets and IMO, its a lot easier on that table. Im not sure but, i think the cb is slowed down more because it has to "force" the ob up-and-out of the crater.

Thoughts?

Old
  (#84)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yes sir, thats exactly what Jeff is saying.

You either forgot or chose to leave out critical information though:

cb and ob weight is of most importance.

Also, another factor that can effect outcome is a crater at spot area.

There's a table i play on ever so often that has a small hole where 1 ball sets and IMO, its a lot easier on that table. Im not sure but, i think the cb is slowed down more because it has to "force" the ob up-and-out of the crater.

Thoughts?
The absolute best I can do on a near brand new cloth with aramith tournament pro balls is just past the first diamond. So you donít even need mismatched CB OB for the 1 diamond.

Bob, the roll I noticed on my table playing this shot is as follows: playing the CB from the right side of the table, the CB rolls slightly to the right. When Iím playing this shot at absolute dead weight, I need to aim a little thicker. However, this shouldnít make the shot easier. If the table was rolling back toward the headstring, the CB would roll off to the left on this shot. And Iím talking a very slight roll off on this particular angle.

Old
  (#85)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
The absolute best I can do on a near brand new cloth with aramith tournament pro balls is just past the first diamond. So you donít even need mismatched CB OB for the 1 diamond.

Bob, the roll I noticed on my table playing this shot is as follows: playing the CB from the right side of the table, the CB rolls slightly to the right. When Iím playing this shot at absolute dead weight, I need to aim a little thicker. However, this shouldnít make the shot easier. If the table was rolling back toward the headstring, the CB would roll off to the left on this shot. And Iím talking a very slight roll off on this particular angle.
That is what im remembering. When i do decide to practice that, im for sure gonna have the camera going.

Its a lot of work for such a shot.

Old
  (#86)
markjames
AzB Silver Member
markjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 12:15 AM

I tried this for an hour, maybe 100? times last night.
First make was a ball and one finger width from the short rail.
Second best was the cb was touching the rail.

Tonight i made it first try
Attached Images

Last edited by markjames; 06-25-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Old
  (#87)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 12:30 AM

I have a feeling that thinner/older cloth will make the shot harder, particularly if it’s pulled really tight. I could be totally wrong about that. I haven’t had the chance to try it on a table other than my own, which has 2 week old cloth.

Old
  (#88)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Hereís a few shots at it. The last shot is 23cm from the top lip of the bottom rail to the center of the CB, and you can see it wasnít dead weight, and it wasnít the thick part of the pocket. I suspect youíre going to call shenanigans. I canít do anymore than post the video, and Iím the only one posting videos of the shot. If it was dead weight and the thick of the pocket it would have stopped on, possible before the first diamond.

https://youtu.be/2sInTis233k

Old
  (#89)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-25-2019, 06:20 AM

Nice. And I am digging the carpet.i went for black with colored flecks. I like yours better.

Table is a gc4? I have same, but yours looks way newer.
Got mine from pool room that closed...

23 cm is a far cry from the 30.5 that was claimed by the rake.

And to hear that manipulation of ball combinations' weights is done...kind of a sly move.

I have always had accuracy issues when shooting softly. This drill is hard for me

I guess one could probably use a leaf blower and get cb above the headstring, too...yuh know?

Quote:
Hereís a few shots at it. The last shot is 23cm from the top lip of the bottom rail to the center of the CB, and you can see it wasnít dead weight, and it wasnít the thick part of the pocket. I suspect youíre going to call shenanigans. I canít do anymore than post the video, and Iím the only one posting videos of the shot. If it was dead weight and the thick of the pocket it would have stopped on, possible before the first diamond.

https://youtu.be/2sInTis233k

Old
  (#90)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Nice. And I am digging the carpet.i went for black with colored flecks. I like yours better.

Table is a gc4? I have same, but yours looks way newer.
Got mine from pool room that closed...

23 cm is a far cry from the 30.5 that was claimed by the rake.

And to hear that manipulation of ball combinations' weights is done...kind of a sly move.

I have always had accuracy issues when shooting softly. This drill is hard for me

I guess one could probably use a leaf blower and get cb above the headstring, too...yuh know?
23cm is way higher than I thought possible.

I live in a 3rd floor rental. I put down carpet tiles to protect the floors and deaden the sound a little.

I'm in south korea. The table is actually a Min table (Korean company).

Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: