How Do You Prepare for DCC

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Hi all! This year's DCC will be only my 2nd adventure (last year I went the last 4 days; this year, the 1st 4 days) and I'm really looking forward to it.

Last year, I was lucky enough to run into some friends so I had some people to hang out with and hit balls with after hours, etc. I didn't spend much time in the action room because I do enjoy watching the tournament matches. And while I feel like I'm up on the pro circuit (who's who and whatnot), I know hardly anything about people that just gamble; so it's not *as* exciting to watch (I can't root for anyone heh). Plus, everytime I walked in there, it was cramped/standing room only.

This year, I might want to find a game or two, if the mood strikes me (and I don't get a bad vibe from whoever I'm discussing it with).

I guess my question to you is: do you do anything to prepare for the DCC? Do you get in as many games as you can find in the weeks leading up (try to get a bunch of last minute seasoning, or to just get in stroke), do you take time off so you arrive fresh and well rested/adjusted?

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't usually play on a diamond or a 9 ft table, I would find one to practice on. I normally play on gold crowns so I will be changing and play on a diamond at another pool room until the tourney. I use to have a 8 ft table at home and it was a big adjustment going up there and playing on a 9 ft. Good luck and hope to see you there. Tom

stljohnny

Silver Member
The only Diamond in my neck of the woods has some pretty worn cloth, so even it won't play they will - although, for the most part, my game translates pretty well to a newly clothed Diamond. Dunno why, I just generally seem to play a little better on those tables.

I hope I get to play on a 10-footer again, that was So.Much.Fun!

My thoughts

If you like fair and friendly games without all the antics, play after midnight when the main tables are open. The action room is okay, except for the typical stuff that is always there. Those guys don't make bad games, if you beat one, they just send along another guy or change the game to their liking. For me I like to play guys I never met that are looking to play a set in the $200--400 range and will act like gentlemen.

Otherwise find the tightest, fastest table around and try to matchup with the better local players. Competing is really the only way to be sharp for competition. Remember to sleep a little there. I'm going again, it's simply the best event left in American pool.

stljohnny

Silver Member
If you like fair and friendly games without all the antics, play after midnight when the main tables are open. The action room is okay, except for the typical stuff that is always there. Those guys don't make bad games, if you beat one, they just send along another guy or change the game to their liking. For me I like to play guys I never met that are looking to play a set in the $200--400 range and will act like gentlemen.

Otherwise find the tightest, fastest table around and try to matchup with the better local players. Competing is really the only way to be sharp for competition. Remember to sleep a little there. I'm going again, it's simply the best event left in American pool.

Last year, I think I slept about 4 hrs every 24 hours. For no real reason, other than to watch, play, watch, play. lol Most of the "new shiny" is gone, so I hope to have a little bit more regular schedule. ;)

Yeah , when I went 2 years back I slept about 6 hrs in 5 days. Played alot of blsckjack too...only because I was winning.

I like to gamble and will be, just not with the dirtbags.

Less than 3 weeks away,better practice up.

stljohnny

Silver Member
Yeah... sharpening up isn't going to so well. I lost to a guy in a disgusting landslide over the weekend. hahaha oh well. there's just nothing you can do about a guy that kicks into stack 100mph, makes a couple balls (after several caroms) and has shape to run out. :p