Reload this Page Straight Pool
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Straight Pool
Old
  (#1)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Straight Pool - 06-21-2019, 02:17 PM

A shooter that starts out on 7 foot tables shooting 8&9 ball wants to shoot straight pool starts shooting on a 9 foot table what would be the best methods to go about learning the game , and where would you start ? I have watched tapes on a lot of the pros. I know these sound like probably dumb questions to most of you guys because a lot of you guys have been shooting straight for a very long time. I just love the game and would like to shoot a better game.

Old
  (#2)
chart22
AzB Bronze Member
chart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond repute

06-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
A shooter that starts out on 7 foot tables shooting 8&9 ball wants to shoot straight pool starts shooting on a 9 foot table what would be the best methods to go about learning the game , and where would you start ? I have watched tapes on a lot of the pros. I know these sound like probably dumb questions to most of you guys because a lot of you guys have been shooting straight for a very long time. I just love the game and would like to shoot a better game.
Not a dumb question to me. I’m in the same boat. I enjoy 14:1 and want to improve as well.

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-21-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Here's one way that is not just for 14.1: Start a run and note what problem causes the run to end. Work for five or ten minutes on the problem that caused the error. Repeat.

It is not always easy to figure out what the problem is. If you miss an 85-degree break shot, the problem is not that you can't make 85-degree cuts easily. You failed to get the position you needed. Maybe that's because you didn't get the right amount of draw on the key shot or maybe it's because you chose the wrong pattern to run the balls and you overlooked an end pattern that would have left a good break shot every time.

Sometimes it's easier to see mistakes in the play of others. If you are in a match, try to find the best pattern in a particular situation before your opponent shoots. Then figure out whether they were right or wrong in their choices.

Which pattern is right depends on the player. If you are no good at controlled follow shots, you need to either develop that skill or put them into patterns only when your typical error on such shots will still leave you some kind of out.

Very generally try to find the pattern that moves the cue ball the least.

Good luck with your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

06-21-2019, 07:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apf-EZf2LGI

I would recommend this video of Ray Martin walking in off the street and running 90+ balls while explaining the game. Quality of the video isn't the best but turn up the sound and pay attention to what Ray is saying.

Old
  (#5)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

06-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Rails are your friends in many games, straight pool included, for sure. So it might seem counterintuitive, but logging a bunch of time doing the “brainwash” drill is a big help in developing a good straight pool game. The drill is simple: spread all 15 balls around the table, with none of them on or close to a rail, and then, starting with CB in hand, try to pocket all 15 balls without having the CB touch a rail or bump into another ball. It really forces you to learn CB control by limiting CB movement, creating stop shots, and playing delicate shots.

Old
  (#6)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here's one way that is not just for 14.1: Start a run and note what problem causes the run to end. Work for five or ten minutes on the problem that caused the error. Repeat.

It is not always easy to figure out what the problem is. If you miss an 85-degree break shot, the problem is not that you can't make 85-degree cuts easily. You failed to get the position you needed. Maybe that's because you didn't get the right amount of draw on the key shot or maybe it's because you chose the wrong pattern to run the balls and you overlooked an end pattern that would have left a good break shot every time.

Sometimes it's easier to see mistakes in the play of others. If you are in a match, try to find the best pattern in a particular situation before your opponent shoots. Then figure out whether they were right or wrong in their choices.

Which pattern is right depends on the player. If you are no good at controlled follow shots, you need to either develop that skill or put them into patterns only when your typical error on such shots will still leave you some kind of out.

Very generally try to find the pattern that moves the cue ball the least.

Good luck with your game.
Thanks Bob I appreciate it. I have read a ton of books on straight pool and Babe Cranfield said that keep your cue ball movement to a minimum by using stop ball patterns. His book is a good teaching aid. This game offers a challenge to me that the other games don't. I'm not putting them down I just think there is so much to learn in straight pool. I watch a lot of videos of everyone that I can and I have found Segal and Rempe's tape very helpful. I keep a log of my practice sessions so I can practice the reasons a run ends. I guess it will take a lot more time and practice. I have a couple of players that play straight pool that is going to teach me what they can.

Old
  (#7)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member

06-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth C. View Post
Rails are your friends in many games, straight pool included, for sure. So it might seem counterintuitive, but logging a bunch of time doing the “brainwash” drill is a big help in developing a good straight pool game. The drill is simple: spread all 15 balls around the table, with none of them on or close to a rail, and then, starting with CB in hand, try to pocket all 15 balls without having the CB touch a rail or bump into another ball. It really forces you to learn CB control by limiting CB movement, creating stop shots, and playing delicate shots.
Jim Rempe says that is the best drill to practice for straight pool patterns. When I was younger a lot of the old timers recommended that drill and the circle drill for cue ball control. Thanks for the information .

Old
  (#8)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member

06-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apf-EZf2LGI

I would recommend this video of Ray Martin walking in off the street and running 90+ balls while explaining the game. Quality of the video isn't the best but turn up the sound and pay attention to what Ray is saying.
I like this tape because Ray gives you reasons why you take shots and why you shouldn't take certain shots. Thanks I will watch this over and over.

Old
  (#9)
LightsOut
Jason
LightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Jim Rempe says that is the best drill to practice for straight pool patterns. When I was younger a lot of the old timers recommended that drill and the circle drill for cue ball control. Thanks for the information .

Both of these drills are excellent for straight pool.

And just to clarify the circle drill should be played the same way, start in the middle of the circle with the cue ball and play out the rack, only rule is absolutely no rails allowed with the cue ball. You can leave the circle, bump balls if you like, etc, but if you don’t have tight control of the white AND a solid plan for the last four or five balls, you’ll find this drill quite difficult. If you find it moderately easy, play many circles in succession...

- Jason

Old
  (#10)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Check if there is a straight pool league in your area. That's how I learn the game, by playing in a league with others.

Quote:

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#11)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Find a player who is better than you and play the game. You learn by
watching him and playing, learning from your mistakes. To me there
is no substitute for competition.

Old
  (#12)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chart22 View Post
Not a dumb question to me. I’m in the same boat. I enjoy 14:1 and want to improve as well.
Buy some accustat cd's of the pros playing each other. Make sure you get them with commentary. You can learn alot and they are only $9.95

Old
  (#13)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 05:11 PM

On the off chance you haven't seen these: George Fels's Mastering Pool has a good section on Straight Pool. Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Capelle and Phil's book/DVD combination Break Shot Patterns is very good for the last 5 balls. Jim Rempe's videos on Straight Pool are good, I've only seen one by Ray Martin, who I had a lesson from long ago, not sure it's the one mentioned here. Mike Sigel has a good video also.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#14)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
Buy some accustat cd's of the pros playing each other. Make sure you get them with commentary. You can learn alot and they are only $9.95
Learning isn't the same as playing like them.

Old
  (#15)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member

07-02-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post
Learning isn't the same as playing like them.
I don't understand your point. Are you saying you cannot
learn anything from watching those who are better players than
yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: