How to properly execute a jump shot?

sharpshooter

Registered
Hi Louis,

Any advice on how to properly approach and execute a tough jump shot. What tips can you give to get that ball skyward in a controlled manner and also how do you get that incredible draw on your jump shots?? Do you prefer a jump cue or just your regular cue and do you have practice routines for these shots? Thanks again for all you informative feedback.

Last edited:

Louis Ulrich

sharpshooter said:
Hi Louis,

Any advice on how to properly approach and execute a tough jump shot. What tips can you give to get that ball skyward in a controlled manner and also how do you get that incredible draw on your jump shots?? Do you prefer a jump cue or just your regular cue and do you have practice routines for these shots? Thanks again for all you informative feedback.

Hi Sharpshooter,

I tend to treat my jump shot in the same manner that I might slap a basketball that is on the ground and get it to jump up to catch it. You have to be quick. The faster you get the easier the ball will jump. This is part of the reason why jump cues are so effective. They're short and light in weight and they are easy to get speed with.

When I approach a jump shot, a few things come to mind. I determine how far I need to jump, how high and the result I am looking to achieve. For short jumps when then interfering ball is close to the cue ball (say less than a hand span) you will get better results from a jump cue over a playing cue. When you are close like that you need to take a steep angle into the shot to get enough loft to clear the interfering ball. The closer you are, the steeper the angles you want to take.

This usually goes in reverse for longer shots. If your object ball is 7' away and your interfering ball is 1.5' to 2' away then you really don't need that much angle 45 degrees should be enough.

As far as getting a massive draw on the cue ball, I do that with a full playing cue, and typically need enough distance to hit the cue ball hard without losing it off the table. It's just a jump shot that is struck lower on the cue ball with a big follow through.

You should take some time to get to know your jump cue, as well as what is in your range for jumping with a full cue. Don't be afraid to let that cue ball have it a couple of times to see just how much you can do. You can work into finesse as you improve.

Thanks for the post. Have a great day!