AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
comments on the various devices out there to help someone develop a stroke
coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
are just some ive come across
what would you professional instuctors reccommend??
thanls for your replies and help towards my development:smile:
bbb

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Easy answer:

invest some bucks and visit a good instructor. Will pay off much more than *playing* around with those kind of tools. To start with a knowledged instructor will give you something for your whole pool-life.

lg
Ingo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Easy answer:

invest some bucks and visit a good instructor. Will pay off much more than *playing* around with those kind of tools. To start with a knowledged instructor will give you something for your whole pool-life.

lg
Ingo

i have a series of lessons planned with an instructor
was wondering about "teaching aids" while i do my homework

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Digital camera. Film yourself, zoom in on your stroke. Watch it with your instructor and analyze it together. 'Together' is the key so you learn what to look for. Then when you are off on your own, periodically check yourself (by filming) to see if you are continuing on the right path.

A coke bottle was thought to be a good tool to practice your stroke back when everyone mistakenly believed that a level stroke was the right stroke. Good luck trying to stroke level with the rails in the way.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
bbb

Good question!

I think that a good instructor will give you the tools to perfect your stroke.

What Instructor are you going to work with?

If that Instructor is a member of the SPF Family, they will give you Mother Drill #1-2-3 along with your video.
randyg

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested to read the replies on this thread as I am learning too.

I've found the coke bottle exercise has room for error that can show itself in unintended english or misses on long shots.

I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line. The line should cut the tip directly in half equally. I also simulate what I do on a real shot which is shorter practice strokes and one longer stroke. Going back and forth and grooving continuous long strokes is not what you do on a real shot, so I don't practice that way.

Curious to see if the pro instructors think what I am doing is a good idea.

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
A simple stroke exercise

coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
bbb

The first step in developing a straight stroke is to place a cue ball and object ball in line so that when struck the OB strikes a rail at 90 degrees. Begin with a shot that is a foot or so off the rail and a foot or so from the CB. If you strike the CB dead center, the OB will rebound back to the cue ball. Increase your distance with this shot as your stroke improves. This works very well for center ball, roll, draw or force follow. The next step is to shoot the shot with side english. In this case the ball will NOT rebound to strike the CB. To insure a straight stroke on this shot (whether using parallel english, backhand or whatever), place three stacked pieces of chalk on each side of the cue about half way between your bridge and the CB. Begin with a space between the stacks of an inch or more and reduce it as your stroke improves. Imagine a cylinder the diameter of the CB going from the CB to the target on the OB. With a few exceptions (jump shots, masses, etc.) your cue tip should never leave this imaginary cylinder, from the pull-back to the end of your follow-through. Increase the length of the shot and the force applied as you develop your pure stroke. Pay special attention to where your cue tip comes to rest after each shot. It may end up just outside the cylinder when applying backhand sidespin, but should still be below the outer edges of the cylinder.
Donny L
BCA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I'm interested to read the replies on this thread as I am learning too.

I've found the coke bottle exercise has room for error that can show itself in unintended english or misses on long shots.

I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line. The line should cut the tip directly in half equally. I also simulate what I do on a real shot which is shorter practice strokes and one longer stroke. Going back and forth and grooving continuous long strokes is not what you do on a real shot, so I don't practice that way.

Curious to see if the pro instructors think what I am doing is a good idea.

Great idea. I hope that you are doing that drill with your eyes "closed"!
randyg

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any new info for this thread? Any new devices?

What are instructors recommending nowadays as far as training aids go?

r/DCP

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven’t used it myself but what about a DIGICUE

The Digicue Blue is excellent for analyzing the stroke. Also do as Fran and others suggest and video yourself shooting. The Digi will notify you of stroke errors, and watching yourself on video can help you associate any given error with a noticeable action or flaw in your stroke.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can get lessons from a pool instructor, they can video you and analyze your stroke. If you don't have access to an instructor then the Digicue Blue is a great substitute that can pinpoint the tiniest stroke flaws.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line.
Be sure to look down at the shaft behind your bridge too - small offline movement will be more visible there (even when the tip movement doesn’t show it clearly).

pj
chgo