This Makes Me A Little Sad

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know...PJ is no longer banned. He just chooses to not post much. That said, I'm with you. PJ is my friend, and I enjoy playing with him every time I come to Chicago.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I miss Patrick Johnson.....sharp and literate.....calls a spade a spade.

...yeah, he doesn’t suffer fools gladly...maybe you could tone it down a bit, PJ....
....tell a man he’s full of it more like Oscar Wilde would.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really!??

You guys Don't mind someone endlessly arguing over and over,
and over, and over, and over again until they run out of air??

Really??!

td

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Just so you know...PJ is no longer banned. He just chooses to not post much. That said, I'm with you. PJ is my friend, and I enjoy playing with him every time I come to Chicago.

He's still missing his feedback button ...

Attachments

• PJ is banned again.png
    PJ is banned again.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 199

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Been coming to AZB for about 13 years, officially joined 11 years ago and it became part of my daily morning routine. A hot cup of coffee and tear into all of the great content - Scooter and co taking off car wash bill changers for the quarters, Dippy, Billy, Scott and the tush hogs, JB & Lou barking to make their big 1p game then the aftermath, "Dildo Hair" escaping out the bathroom window while down in her money match with OMGWTF, kvinbrwr acquiring Michaela Tabb's gloves from Matt & Pinklady, Charlie Williams hotel escapade, Smorg's gems, Derek Disco's Nazi and other spectacular animations, Aiming Wars, TAR, which cuemaker went the most sideways (Wheat, Sutton, Gracio, Zinzola, etc, etc) Bill Stroud's "Design Your Dream" (or Nightmare, as it turned out), the Geno & Rhea road tour, and on and on and on...

There seemed to be an endless variety of interesting and extremely entertaining topics going on all the time on AZB. I know times change and Facebook has taken a lot of contributors away but I do and always will have massive appreciation for the info and entertainment provided here. I wish it could remain the central clearinghouse for all things pool, from A to Z.

I see when scrolling all the way down to the bottom of page 1 there's not been much movement at all in the previous 24 hours. And not a monumentally entertaining thread for what seems like miles.

Can anything be done about this or do we just accept that change is imminent?

best,
brian kc <---- still prefers AZB above all others

FB has a lot of the action now and it's my opinion (said the same thing to Mike) that the main cause for the decline on AZB is the moderation where trolls were allowed to operate. They literally littered the forum with low quality content and thus drove off those who were wanting to create high quality content.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, another issue is the ease of posting and reviewing posts. AZB was the primary hub of communication for a while. That all changed when different forms of social media appeared and became the favored medium of social interaction on the internet. Many people who have AZB accounts also have social media accounts. With billiard related content groups on social media, the need to log into AZB has been less.

Part of the problem is that AZB isn't attracting new users. Many of the new users will stick with their preferred social media and access billiard related content there.

Several have mentioned the ban of members who were the "spice" of AZB back in the day. Those same banned members started their own billiard related content groups on popular social media sites where they are thriving. They're not gone, just being social on a different medium.

AZB has been a wealth of information and content for me over the years. I will continue to use AZB for as long as it is around, but I fear that it will just continue to get used less as more and more people change their preference toward readily available and content haphazard social media (i.e. FB).

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, another issue is the ease of posting and reviewing posts. AZB was the primary hub of communication for a while. That all changed when different forms of social media appeared and became the favored medium of social interaction on the internet. Many people who have AZB accounts also have social media accounts. With billiard related content groups on social media, the need to log into AZB has been less.

I don't understand how it is possible to have a long discussion about anything on FB. The nesting of posts and resulting skipping around of timelines of posts makes confusing. Youtube is even worse with the backwards sequence of posts. I'm reading replies to posts before I can even find the original one. Maybe it's just me. I find the AZ format far easier for communication.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Imo...

Az has been on a cycle and many things have led to it's current state. One of the main problems that AZ has always had is that anytime a top player or Pro comes on the site they get shouted down by internet Warriors who think they know more and can't be cordial.

Patrick Johnson was one of those people I don't know why people liked his post he was a ***** and he should have been banned a long time ago permanently.

He had some good knowledge but that knowledge was always predicated upon his attitude which sucked. He also wouldn't acknowledge whenever he was wrong there were many times that we disagreed on something and then he'd later say the same thing that I said change his mind completely on fractional aiming is one of those things he was like a huge Hal houle supporter and then one day oh no that's just bs when talking about pro one and fractional aiming.

Then you had people that would constantly harp on players that weren't really well-known but we're great players one of which was Demetrius jelatis who just what finished fourth in the Turning Stone?

People would ask questions and some players would answer them and then the harping would start. It just discourages players from posting and prevents good discussion.

Jaden

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand how it is possible to have a long discussion about anything on FB. The nesting of posts and resulting skipping around of timelines of posts makes confusing. Youtube is even worse with the backwards sequence of posts. I'm reading replies to posts before I can even find the original one. Maybe it's just me. I find the AZ format far easier for communication.

I agree with you that AZB is a more organized and structured form of communication. With social media like FB, younger people generally have a very short attention span mixed in with the need for instant gratification to satiate their attention deficit disorder by being spoon fed posts.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
A lot of what I was going to say has already been said by others. However, I was also thinking that one of the things that is much different now than when I joined in 2005 is that there used to be a lot of discussion on here about ongoing tournaments and updates etc. I think a couple of things have changed in that regard. I think there are so many more high quality streams now a lot of us are watching for ourselves and don't feel the need to give or get updates about whatever is going on. Also, (and maybe this just my perception) it seems like there are fewer tournaments that attract all of the big name players at once to get hyped about.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Az has been on a cycle and many things have led to it's current state. One of the main problems that AZ has always had is that anytime a top player or Pro comes on the site they get shouted down by internet Warriors who think they know more and can't be cordial.

Patrick Johnson was one of those people I don't know why people liked his post he was a ***** and he should have been banned a long time ago permanently.

He had some good knowledge but that knowledge was always predicated upon his attitude which sucked. He also wouldn't acknowledge whenever he was wrong there were many times that we disagreed on something and then he'd later say the same thing that I said change his mind completely on fractional aiming is one of those things he was like a huge Hal houle supporter and then one day oh no that's just bs when talking about pro one and fractional aiming.

Then you had people that would constantly harp on players that weren't really well-known but we're great players one of which was Demetrius jelatis who just what finished fourth in the Turning Stone?

People would ask questions and some players would answer them and then the harping would start. It just discourages players from posting and prevents good discussion.

Jaden

One of the things I love most about pool discussion boards, going back to RSB, is to hear about and discuss how players from divergent backgrounds find their way up the mountain that is playing pool. Players with backgrounds in carpentry, to plumbing, to academia, the military, students, medicine, cops and robbers, and engineers all bring their unique perspective to the discussion and that is great. Because it’s the guys that have done something other than pool their entire lives that I can identify with.

I also find it rewarding when I can describe my own travails and someone will post in return something like: you know, that really resonated with me or, that really rang true to me.

I like having pros around as much as the next guy. But what I have observed over the years is that most often the pro does not know how he does what he does anymore than prodigies or naturals at any other sport. And so, you end up with guys trying to describe and explain how to play pool and often (usually) those explanation don’t resonate or are based in faulty logic, or can even be proven to be flat out wrong.

For me, I’d rather read what any number of other guys -- who bring a wealth of varied experience, knowledge and intelligent discussion to the table -- rather than hear from a pro who will not tolerate questioning while fans wring their hands wailing, “Oh please don’t harass him -- you’ll drive him away.” And what is that “harassment?” More often than not it has been polite questioning and the proffering of divergent opinions and scientific explanations. And my observation has been that, as a group, the pros hate scientific explanations and proofs. Their responses have often been bumper sticker logic and fortune cookie insights and to those of you that like that stuff I say: mazel tov.

But many of us like a little more substance than that. So wail away if you must. But please remember: people can and should disagree here -- it’s a discussion forum and as long as it’s polite, all points of view should be welcome.

Lastly, I think it's poor form to attack someone who cannot defend themselves. PJ is on temporary hiatus and will be back, I believe around the beginning of Oct.

Lou Figueroa

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having pros around as much as the next guy. But what I have observed over the years is that most often the pro does not know how he does what he does anymore than prodigies or naturals at any other sport. And so, you end up with guys trying to describe and explain how to play pool and often (usually) those explanation don’t resonate or are based in faulty logic, or can even be proven to be flat out wrong.

Great post, Lou. I think the professional perspective is great for certain things, and maybe not for others. Sometimes I'd rather hear from a guy who spends most of his time being a plumber or accountant talk about what it took for him to get over the threshold of breaking 100, or in what he had to learn to be able to beat the ghost. I think that might provide more insight than the pro who played 10 hours a day since he was 14 years old.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It's not about the accuracy and it isn't just pros...

One of the things I love most about pool discussion boards, going back to RSB, is to hear about and discuss how players from divergent backgrounds find their way up the mountain that is playing pool. Players with backgrounds in carpentry, to plumbing, to academia, the military, students, medicine, cops and robbers, and engineers all bring their unique perspective to the discussion and that is great. Because it’s the guys that have done something other than pool their entire lives that I can identify with.

I also find it rewarding when I can describe my own travails and someone will post in return something like: you know, that really resonated with me or, that really rang true to me.

For me, I’d rather read what any number of other guys -- who bring a wealth of varied experience, knowledge and intelligent discussion to the table -- rather than hear from a pro who will not tolerate questioning while fans wring their hands wailing, “Oh please don’t harass him -- you’ll drive him away.” And what is that “harassment?” More often than not it has been polite questioning and the proffering of divergent opinions and scientific explanations. And my observation has been that, as a group, the pros hate scientific explanations and proofs. Their responses have often been bumper sticker logic and fortune cookie insights and to those of you that like that stuff I say: mazel tov.

But many of us like a little more substance than that. So wail away if you must. But please remember: people can and should disagree here -- it’s a discussion forum and as long as it’s polite, all points of view should be welcome.

Lastly, I think it's poor form to attack someone who cannot defend themselves. PJ is on temporary hiatus and will be back, I believe around the beginning of Oct.

Lou Figueroa

First off in regards to Patrick Johnson he put himself in that position so many times it's pathetic he should have been Perma banned a long time ago. Now I see the second it's not about whether the pros know how they do what they do or can explain it better than other people or even right it's about the attitudes that people have that drive them away from the site.

It's also not just the pros it's just the way that people discuss things with each other on this site me and Colin colenso used to get into disagreements all the time and we did it in a cordial way and we ended up talking about the same thing in different ways most of the time.

Jaden

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
For about 6-7 years there was a very consistent 1500+ posts per day on AZ.

This has slowed to around 650+ currently. Still plenty to read but yes, this forum like, I would venture to say most any forum that has been around this long, is losing posters left and right.

Not much we're gonna do about that.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off in regards to Patrick Johnson he put himself in that position so many times it's pathetic he should have been Perma banned a long time ago. Now I see the second it's not about whether the pros know how they do what they do or can explain it better than other people or even right it's about the attitudes that people have that drive them away from the site.

It's also not just the pros it's just the way that people discuss things with each other on this site me and Colin colenso used to get into disagreements all the time and we did it in a cordial way and we ended up talking about the same thing in different ways most of the time.

Jaden

PJ speaks his mind in a civil, intelligent tone. And when he points out flaws and inconsistencies in an argument, some cannot abide that and go batshit.

The pros... many of them cannot engage in a civil, intelligent tone and cannot abide having an amateur point out flaws and inconsistencies in their arguments. The pros go batshit too but because they're pros we're supposed to wring our hands and wail to the skies, lol.

And once again, not cool to attack someone who is not here to defend.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fad

I am hoping the Facebook fad runs it's course . I have read on here that so and so is on FB or have friends of mine tell me to check out FB. In my opinion FB stinks I love AZ and feel in time the others will find their way back home to AZbilliards.