Henry Brothers Pool Table???

aj6788

I'm looking into possibly purchasing a Henry Brothers Pool table. Honestly, it is a table I have never heard about, and I know absolutely nothing about it other then what the seller has told me.

It needs to be restored as there is some water damage on the legs... Other then that he claims the table was made in Boston MA, 96-116 years ago, solid hand crafted dark mahogany with hand woven leather pockets. Ivory diamond inlays embedded in the rails. Brass swing out cue chalk dish cup. 18 decorative brass medallions all around. includes 2 sets of vintage balls.

I'm excited to see the table, we have a time setup already and cash in hand

Any one on insights on this table? Google is turning up nothing for me...

Last edited:

androd

androd
Silver Member
Sounds like you have an antique there, being an antique myself I remember the name but don't recall seeing any in the South.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very

That's the one! If you google it, that add and this post is all you'll find :p

I know nothing about the table other then what the pics showed and it looks great. I think most of the tables from that era had 2 inch slate. Good luck with it and I think you will be very happy with it.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
It would be safest to assume that restoration of the legs (water damage) will be the easy part. It's when you open the hood and look under the slate that the real money begins; cracked slates, dead cushions, warped slate supports, etc.

If you're into antiques and willing to accept the never-ending budget additions that come with restoration, then go for it.

It certainly has more character than a Diamond or Gold Crown but I doubt it will ever play as well.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The legs on that Henry table look real bad. Try using "SearchTempest" to find you a good Pool Table in you NE area.

Search Tempest searches lots of online sales in the radius you request, up to 2500 miles.

The 8 foot (could be 9 foot) in Waterford looks to be a better deal for 500 dollars. Most old antique tables used T-Bolts into the side of the slate, whereas the newer tables used bolts thru the slate. You probably compete on that kind of table, so you'll be better off getting a "bolt thru the slate" Pool Table.

Good Luck...

aj6788

From what the guy claims the slate isn't cracked. It has been well maintained. Other then the water damage. My husband is a carpenter and mostly works with furniture, I'm hoping the legs are the only problem.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
From what the guy claims the slate isn't cracked. It has been well maintained. Other then the water damage. My husband is a carpenter and mostly works with furniture, I'm hoping the legs are the only problem.

Good luck with it. I think you will have a great old solid table when you're done. Johnnyt

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

If your husband is a carpenter, you're good to go.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking into possibly purchasing a Henry Brothers Pool table. Honestly, it is a table I have never heard about, and I know absolutely nothing about it other then what the seller has told me.

It needs to be restored as there is some water damage on the legs... Other then that he claims the table was made in Boston MA, 96-116 years ago, solid hand crafted dark mahogany with hand woven leather pockets. Ivory diamond inlays embedded in the rails. Brass swing out cue chalk dish cup. 18 decorative brass medallions all around. includes 2 sets of vintage balls.

I'm excited to see the table, we have a time setup already and cash in hand

Any one on insights on this table? Google is turning up nothing for me...

IMHO - it is VERY likely to be a Brunswick table with the nameplate replaced by a dealer, etc.
This was a common practice, esp. tables in pool halls.

Some thoughts/ semi educated guesses:

Likely early 20th century - certainly pre- World War I based on the diamond shaped "spots"
on the rails, almost certainly ivory - BTW - and the #3 pockets {best ever, - IMHO).

I think some predecessor of the Aviator, the infamous boat frame that Brunswick
sold about 100 gazillion of.

HTH
Dale

aj6788

IMHO - it is VERY likely to be a Brunswick table with the nameplate replaced by a dealer, etc.

Likely early 20th century - certainly pre- World War I based on the diamond shaped "spots"
on the rails, almost certainly ivory - BTW - and the #3 pockets {best ever, - IMHO).

HTH
Dale

Yes! I talked to some friends from the pool hall, they mentioned the same thing about the name plate being changed. They said there might be an actual stamp some where else? Under a rail or on slate?

Looking at other antique tables it does look very similar to the brunswicks too.

Someone else said the guy henry was one of the actual brothers who had started with brunswick. I don't know how true that is, I haven't done any research on that before.

aj6788

What I've been able to find so far

Henry Bro Billiards and Pool Table Makers (1921 Boston Registry)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-23-00-54-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-23-00-54-44.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 372

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HTH
Dale

Rivoli in Toronto has a Brunswick Aviator, purportedly made in the 1870s.
So it would seem that the table in question came later.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking financially, you could be trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.......why not just
pass and get an old Brunswick table .....Some of the below tables need refinish but would be easier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-brunswick-pool-table-/171078776700
3 Piece Slate - 4.5' x 9' Regulation Pool Table.......in CA .....$1400....restoration is easier......Best Deal IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1905-BRUNSWICK-SLATE-POOL-TABLE-/322214126524
Table needs restoration but under $1600....built in 1905.....in Canada but has free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-P...intage-6-Leg-Snooker-Pool-Table-/262591059100
Patterson and Hoffman Circa 1920's Antique Snooker Table similar to the Brunswick Tables but is much rarer.
Built by Patterson & Hoffman an Oklahoma Company with updated bumper cushions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...der-Warwick-Billiard-Pool-Table-/272327415264
costs more at $4k but refinish should be minor if needed.....great table but local pickup only.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUNSWICK-M...OL-TABLE-Restored-1892-Original-/162172302024
This one needs nothing........almost 125 years old and fully restored $4,250......your budget is obviously the limiting factor but I could
be candid,.....my EP cue cost me more than this table and I'd much rather own this table instead of.my Prewitt cue.

Anyway, just trying to point out the options available which I was able to obtain with a simple search on eBay.......imagine if I really tried
what else might turn up.......Good Luck with your decision.

Matt B.

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

I don't think that plate is original to the table.
It's a common thing for distributors in that time to put the name plate on a table.

Where is Mr bond when u need him...?

Rob.M

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rivoli in Toronto has a Brunswick Aviator, purportedly made in the 1870s.
So it would seem that the table in question came later.

Brunswick doesn't think they made any Aviators in the 1800s. :)

http://antiquetables.brunswickbilliards.com/our_rich_history/antique_tables/aviator.html

Many people are confused by Brunswick's quaint habit of listing the dates of every patent
they held on all the old tables. I've talked to people who have tables from the 1950s
that really do believe are from the 1890s.

" A little knowledge... a dangerous thing...

Dale

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking financially, you could be trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.......why not just
pass and get an old Brunswick table .....Some of the below tables need refinish but would be easier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-brunswick-pool-table-/171078776700
3 Piece Slate - 4.5' x 9' Regulation Pool Table.......in CA .....$1400....restoration is easier......Best Deal IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1905-BRUNSWICK-SLATE-POOL-TABLE-/322214126524
Table needs restoration but under $1600....built in 1905.....in Canada but has free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-P...intage-6-Leg-Snooker-Pool-Table-/262591059100
Patterson and Hoffman Circa 1920's Antique Snooker Table similar to the Brunswick Tables but is much rarer.
Built by Patterson & Hoffman an Oklahoma Company with updated bumper cushions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...der-Warwick-Billiard-Pool-Table-/272327415264
costs more at $4k but refinish should be minor if needed.....great table but local pickup only.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUNSWICK-M...OL-TABLE-Restored-1892-Original-/162172302024
This one needs nothing........almost 125 years old and fully restored $4,250......your budget is obviously the limiting factor but I could
be candid,.....my EP cue cost me more than this table and I'd much rather own this table instead of.my Prewitt cue.

Anyway, just trying to point out the options available which I was able to obtain with a simple search on eBay.......imagine if I really tried
what else might turn up.......Good Luck with your decision.

Matt B.

The table he is looking at, almost certainly IS a Brunswick - IMHO, but not very hunble:)

Dale

aj6788

It's a Goodman's Levit Yatter table! We even have all kinds of accessories: pocket shims to play 3 cushion, old leather pill bottle, cue rack, ball rack, and a table game (don't know what it's called or how to explain it) all of which are found in the catalogue for goodman Leavitt yatter

After a lot of research and then finding the stamp on the cue rack, ball rack, and on the slate we figured it out after we brought it home. It looks as though it's dating back to the 1800s.

Last edited: