What kind of lubricant can I use...

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...on a joint with a shaft that is all wood? The joint screws into the shaft and it squeeks and the wood joint protector is VERY hard to screw all the way on.

Bar soap
Wd40
Silicone??

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Dry graphite. Not sure where to find that stuff now days. They used to use it on speedodometer cables. It would be perfect for your application.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post this in Ask the Cuemaker. Do not be in a hurry to lube the joint. That can backfire..become a dust/dirt collector. My first instinct would be to clean the pin and shaft thread. I realize it's a threaded hole...but see what a few cue makers recommend.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
...on a joint with a shaft that is all wood? The joint screws into the shaft and it squeeks and the wood joint protector is VERY hard to screw all the way on.

Bar soap
Wd40
Silicone??

Nose oil.

Freddie <~~~ serious

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wood lubricant

There are companies making wood lubricants. Several are food safe which can't be a bad idea. They come in both liquids and greases.

Most hardware stores can order something they don't stock and have it within a week. Might ask your local Ace if they have something or can order it.

Hu

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wax, for sure.. don't use any liquids or oils or it'll get into the grain, might
swell the wood. If you can find Reneissance wax, that's the nuts.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dry graphite. Not sure where to find that stuff now days. They used to use it on speedodometer cables. It would be perfect for your application.

Just color on it with a number 2 pencil, seriously.
Works for zippers too.
Hobby stores carry dry graphite also. Used it for pine
wood derby cars.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
might not be graphite

Never thought of that. Cool. :thumbup:

A lot of "lead" in pencils isn't graphite anymore. You can buy one that specifies graphite of course but don't assume any pencil is. Might add to your problems.

Hu

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
My current cue would squeak like crazy and last few turns were hard to screw down...Got a Birthday candle out and slightly rubbed on top half of threads...Screwed together and no squeak and easy to screw down.....Just one or two slight rubs and solved problem....
It is 3/8 x 10 wood to wood joint...