Can a break stick become a player

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Waiting for my new to me Joss. It was an impulse buy. Turns out the stick is (according to old post here) a breaker.

I wanted it as an everyday player. Will it mean getting a new shaft?

Attachments

• 00R0R_bijRZF08yen_1200x900.jpg
    00R0R_bijRZF08yen_1200x900.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 604

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You can play or break with any cue, I don’t know anything about this one in particular but some of the things that make a “break” cue are a hard tip, ferrule, probably a stiffer cue? That’s a guess. But if you can shoot well with it then it doesn’t matter. I’ve been shooting randomly with a BK3 with a phenolic tip...playing 9 ball with a lot of center ball shots I can just tap the cue ball around the table and it goes flying very accurately.

Someone with some more science will show up soon maybe ;)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I might be mistaken, but didn't Mike Dechaine used to play with a Predator BK and a playing shaft? It looked kinda like it.
I've tried it. If you're real sensitive to the weight placement there might be an adjustment
you might need to be aware of, but it's still just a butt and a shaft. I don't see why not.
I'll usually break and play the first inning with my breaker (Samsara tip), no issues, just make sure to chalk up between shots.
I wouldn't do that with a phoenelic tip or something like that, but with a leather tip it seems to work out OK

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from the shaft, if you like the balance and the hit it should be just fine.

I like that design, very 80s Joss. If someone said "point to a design you though was classic or known for a brand of cue", that type of inlay with the joss name would be my pick for Joss. Like wood inlay animal designs for McDermott or the wavy wood inlays for Samsara.

As others have said, there are players that use the Predator break cue as their playing cue. Aside from Dechaine I have seen at least 3 other players do it in my area.

Last edited:

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a late 80s to early 90s from what I found here. But this is a variation on the first design I saw.

The poster in 2010 had that Joss striking a cue on the lower butt. The black walnut inlay was hard to see agajnst the purpleheart. This design is much easier on the eye.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Who among us hasn't been 6 balls into a 9 ball run before they realized they were still holding their break cue?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waiting for my new to me Joss. It was an impulse buy. Turns out the stick is (according to old post here) a breaker.

I wanted it as an everyday player. Will it mean getting a new shaft?

I break cue typically has a harder tip. Just change the tip to something you prefer and "voila".

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any thoughts on separate shafts for break/play?

As I said, it is not here, but told it is wood to wood. Will breaking cause joint to give enough to affect playing?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AFAIK those old Joss breakers didn't use a special break shaft, it was their standard shaft and ferrule. Someone could have changed the tip to a real break tip.

That finger joint was commonly used by them for a while, but it was under the wrap. I believe these were the only cues they made with the exposed finger joint.

From what I hear the finger joiner is sitting in the corner of the shop collecting dust.

Some would consider that cue collectible. I passed one up that was brand new with tags and now wish I had it.

IMHO there is no reason you can't play with it.

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
like others say, change the tip to a player tip and it should be fine.

By any chance, do you run a floating crap game?

Love the username!

This is a late 80s to early 90s from what I found here. But this is a variation on the first design I saw.

The poster in 2010 had that Joss striking a cue on the lower butt. The black walnut inlay was hard to see agajnst the purpleheart. This design is much easier on the eye.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most people think that is a playing cue which is fine.

Made in 1994 and sold as Joss's first break cue.

No need to change anything on it. Probably has a regular leather tip.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, Chasrwest, my dice days are mostly behind me. I do continue to hunt the McDermott gambler, though.

As for the cue, story seen here was that Joss appears crooked on stick because it is moving so fast, and that is the cue denting the cue ball.

Do not know how many designs there were.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Chasrwest, my dice days are mostly behind me. I do continue to hunt the McDermott gambler, though.

As for the cue, story seen here was that Joss appears crooked on stick because it is moving so fast, and that is the cue denting the cue ball.

Do not know how many designs there were.

AFAIK there were a couple variations in the color of the inlays, that's all.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc, my cue (when it arrives) and cue posted here Jan, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_0214_zps752c8b31.jpg
    IMG_0214_zps752c8b31.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 00R0R_bijRZF08yen_1200x900.jpg
    00R0R_bijRZF08yen_1200x900.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 147

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely can a breaker be used as a player. My main playing cue, which has been for the last few years, is a Jerry -R- Jump/Break cue. I love it's weight balance and shaft taper so much that I just can't put it down. I don't ever use it for jumping, but it's an excellent breaker and player.

Last edited:

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had a couple hours of practice with the new cue, and I would never have known it was a breaker.

This is one sweet hitter.