Pool's image. Colorful versus professional...

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Self Respect & Honor is NOT for sale, you can't buy it, you have it or you don't.

You have to be the kind of man that can shake someone's hand, after they run the table & say "Good Shooting". You don't have to say "Good Game". It wasn't a good game, because you lost, but you give your opponent the respect they deserve. Nuff Said about this... It's not the big Problem.

We know what the BIG Problem is & we will announce it someday soon....

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.E., Gambling = Seedy.

I've seen ( thousands of hours of it, actually ) plenty of plenty of people gambling at pool, for a LOT of money, spanning 5 decades, who were perfect gentleman ( and ladies ) , never did business, never cheated anyone, never got out of line or acted out. They gambled. They won. Or they lost. Then they went on their way...

Then, I've seen ( on too many occasions to even begin to list ) people who would sell their dead mother down the river to win a game of 8 ball. In league. For nada. For zilch. For not a dime. I've seen cues broken. I've seen overt and semi-covert cheating. I've seen screaming matches. I've seen fall-down drunks trying to play, not getting there ( go figure ), then blaming everyone and everything, except themselves, for not getting there.

Are there gamblers who cheat and scream and do business and fight and break cues? Of course. Are there league-sters who are perfect gentlemen, play by the rules, never complain, who you would trust driving your brand new Lamborghini? Certainly.

Branding pool as "seedy" simply due to gambling is a misnomer and a huge disservice to the pool world. And saying league pool, on its own merit, is what needs to represent pool, is also a misnomer and a huge disservice to the pool world. The issue is with the people who misrepresent pool. Period. Whether they're gambling or not gambling makes no difference whatsoever. The main issue is, there is/are no regulatory bodies in place to "regulate" the game. In golf, if a player say, spits into a golf cup/hole because, say, he's upset he just made an idiot of himself by 4-putting on world-wide tv ( yes, Sergio, you... ), he is fined a s**t-ton of money, vilified by every living human, left to twist in the wind until he apologizes and promises never to do it again. If he ( or she ) ever DOES do it again ( and for the record, at least on the PGA, it's never been done twice so this is speculation ), you can be fairly confident his ( or her ) playing days as a professional are over. And the process is pretty quick. Same with all pro sports. N FL. MLB. NBA. Across the board, by and large. There is no such thing in pool. for myriad reasons. Until there is that regulatory body, the fights will continue, the cues will be broken, the cheating will happen, the business will be done... and poor, dead mom will continue her long, lonely trip, floating down the river.

Now, would gambling be accepted by said regulatory entity? Probably not, due to many reasons, mainly being, it's not legal in most places. But the point here is, equating gambling with seedy is unfair and misses the mark by a country mile. I've seen a ton more seedy dive bars in which league is played than I've seen seedy dive pool rooms. And, yes, again, are there clean, nice, safe bars? Yes. Are there seedy, dive pool rooms. No. ( Ok, kidding... ) Yes. But, again, it's the people who are responsible. Not the venue. And not gambling, or absence of same.

Simply my .02

Pool is not 'seedy' because of gambling, its 'seedy' because of the low lifes, scum bags, douchebags etc that inhabit the game.

Nobody gives 2 shits about someone betting on pool, they care about news stories in their local paper of big drug busts, shootings, fights etc at their local pool hall/bar.

Had a buddy of mine in Anchorage get his head blown off outside of a bar on the east side of town. There was a shootout in the parking lot over drunken wannabes running their dick lickers about a pool game (my friend being one of them).

Think the residents around that area thought the same about the popular pool bar after that happened? I can tell you that a lot of people were pissed the fook off.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Pool is not 'seedy' because of gambling, its 'seedy' because of the low lifes, scum bags, douchebags etc that inhabit the game.

Nobody gives 2 shits about someone betting on pool, they care about news stories in their local paper of big drug busts, shootings, fights etc at their local pool hall/bar.

Had a buddy of mine in Anchorage get his head blown off outside of a bar on the east side of town. There was a shootout in the parking lot over drunken wannabes running their dick lickers about a pool game (my friend being one of them).

Think the residents around that area thought the same about the popular pool bar after that happened? I can tell you that a lot of people were pissed the fook off.

And rightfully so... in more populated / urban areas. those scenarios all too often produce these headlines" "Nine year old killed on way home from school in random shooting, four arrested after drunken brawl in bar parking lot" Not that it couldn't or hasn't happened in places like Alaska but it's simply more likely in densely populated areas. Alcohol and life doesn't mix, let alone alcohol and pool. But that's a whole other kettle of fish...