2019 World Snooker Championship

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
what happened here? ronnie played bad or cahill played good? massive upset just to lead 5-4

Cahill ran six centuries in his three qualifying matches...so he’s no slouch....
...and he IS Stephen Hendry’s nephew.....:shocked:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cahill ran six centuries in his three qualifying matches...so he’s no slouch....
...and he IS Stephen Hendry’s nephew.....:shocked:

And let's not forget this isn't his first foray into the pro snooker world. He turned pro at 17 and it didn't work out. Here he is a few years later as an amateur but like was said, he's not some rookie.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can someone please explain the re-rack rule. Not sure why it was called 8 minutes in. Is this a relatively new rule?
It's a pretty standard stalemate rule. If it seems that no progress will be made -- usually when players are tapping gently against the stack of reds -- a rerack is called. The actual rule suggests that it will be the referee who invokes the rule but it seems that it is usually the players who decide to have a rerack.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a pretty standard stalemate rule. If it seems that no progress will be made -- usually when players are tapping gently against the stack of reds -- a rerack is called. The actual rule suggests that it will be the referee who invokes the rule but it seems that it is usually the players who decide to have a rerack.

Is there a minimum number of reds that has to be down as well, or can a ref request a re-rack if they are further into the frame?
I thought I remember seeing a tap fight before go back and forth until something worked loose-so some refs must let them pay a bit more than the Ronnie match earlier today.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a minimum number of reds that has to be down as well, or can a ref request a re-rack if they are further into the frame?
I thought I remember seeing a tap fight before go back and forth until something worked loose-so some refs must let them pay a bit more than the Ronnie match earlier today.

no minimum number afaik. but if one player has a substantial lead, he is unlikely to agree to re-rack. then it is the refs call. he will probably demand a break of the stalemate from the leading player before he enforces a rerack

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And just like that. Ronnie is out in the 1st round.

It was such news that my 24 year old non pool playing son saw it on one of his feeds and told me about it. That is news in itself. That kid must be freaking jacked! I hope Ronnie took it like a gentleman.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I catched to watch just 18th frame which happened to be the last for Ronny at this WC. Could have been the deciding frame. Ronny started with a good break with some good shots to continue the break but was unlucky when he made a good break shot on the blue but the red ball fell in the corner. Cahill managed to come with a winning break till the last black he did not need. He did not falter on the finish line and managed to make a winning shot from the brown to the last and tricky red so well deserved. It is sad this WC goes on without Ronny but those fans who laughed at the bad Cahill's luck during drawing I guess feel silly... This is crucible and in the first round it can happen the favorite does not show his A-game...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James Cahill's best friend is Steve Hendry's son. James on the left.

When asked if Hendry had influenced Cahill’s career, the youngster replied: ‘He was married to my Auntie. Not really, I’ve asked him to help me a couple of times but he just didn’t seem interested, to put it bluntly. ‘I owe everything to my family, Frank Callan, he helped me massively and my new coach Chris Henry has boosted my game massively, mentally more than anything.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/21/jame...y-budding-snooker-career-9282295/?ito=cbshare

Attachments

• 20841135_10154571061277136_8123659246354048332_n.jpg
    20841135_10154571061277136_8123659246354048332_n.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Down to the semi's

Judd Trump v Gary Wilson
John Higgins v David Gilbert

Got a feeling the Trumpster might finally get his first world championship

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Down to the semi's

Judd Trump v Gary Wilson
John Higgins v David Gilbert

Got a feeling the Trumpster might finally get his first world championship

What up Bieber, haven't seen you posting in NPR to much of late(maybe I have just missed you as I having been posting much either). Anyways, hope you are doing well and life is treating you well. Thanks for the Snooker update,and that cool giveaway you did a while back for Ronnie. Great poster and valuable contributor to this site!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is looking like upset likely year.
My favorites Ronnie, Robertson, Ding all KOed early
2 out of 4 semifinalists unlikely

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The biggest surprise is Gary Wilson....
..but last year, Cliff Thorburn said he’s got all the shots to win it.
....it’d be the biggest upset since Terry Griffith came outta nowhere in 1979.

He’s already involved in one record at the Crucible....the longes game...
...but it is not boring....it’s like watching Efren play tactical one pocket...
...so if you got almost 80 minutes to spare....it’s time well spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOAc4yn4g9c

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? It buffers every shot and now its gone.

I've had no buffering on it. It did, of course, right after I posted that stop for a second so I went to the throne and when I got back it had already started playing again. No issue since.