Reload this Page Using the rack to check a break ball
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
tailor chalk
Old
  (#16)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

tailor chalk - 05-12-2018, 10:12 AM

We use the tailor chalk as well, also I learned some people will try to use a different (larger) rack then the original rack that was used to draw the outline - during competition - I wont let em do it. This will result in them manipulating how high or low the balls can be racked during a run - in rack yer own format - all to familiar too me with no referee's. Also may want to make sure the original rack that is used for outline does not leave much extra space or you will cheat yourself on open space/ close quarter break shots.I hope this helps.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 05-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Mechanical Fabric Pencil, White
Old
  (#17)
zencues.com
Love to Win Hate to Lose
zencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond repute

Mechanical Fabric Pencil, White - 05-12-2018, 02:54 PM

These work really well...

Dritz 7757 Fons and Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil, White

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-7757-Po...PMK2896T19ACQC

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zencues.com View Post
These work really well...

Dritz 7757 Fons and Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil, White

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-7757-Po...PMK2896T19ACQC
I got the Dritz. Hmmm... That sounds like and old-person's disease. The leads are pretty hard so the line tends to be thin, which is fine.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2018, 10:22 PM

My understanding is that the outline is part of the set up rules for the game, kind of like the spots on a snooker table. If there is no outline I would say that using the triangle to measure should be fine since you aren't using the equipment to get an advantage. The rack outline was supposed to be there to begin with.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#20)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The outline and the actual racking are technically independent. For example, if the table has been "tapped" or "trained" and no rack is used, an outline must still be drawn and in/out is determined from that outline. In/out is not determined by interference with the racking process.

A slightly different example: measuring the break ball indicates that it is half a millimeter outside the triangle and the triangle is used to rack. The ball should be marked, removed from the racking area, and put back after the balls are racked.

Another example: if you are using a Sardo rack, which has a much larger outline than a traditional rack and also a very complicated outline, the outline should be marked with a traditional rack to avoid changing the game significantly.
You are right. I think I got carried away. That is what I usually do - i.e. use a marker. And it sure would not be an option to use balls and setting them down on the table for checking purposes only.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: