Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Reading that Mosconi thread on the main page made me think
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
DynoDan
AzB Bronze Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I played Willie an exhibition game in 1964 in Toms River ,N.J.
He wore a suit and was well groomed.
Very polite and friendly.
He turned in a world class performance in straight pool.
I turned in a world class performance in racking.
I did pocket a few balls and had a brief safety battle and then he ran 85 perfect balls and out.
I was only 17 and nervous as hell.
Very reminiscent of an exhibition I witnesed ca. 1961:
Willie Mosconi was a bit out of the price range of our small town Illinois room, so we got ‘the Knoxville Bear’ (Eddie Taylor) instead. They closed the tables to open play for the day, and after Eddie performed the usual trick-shot routine, he took on all comers. I was only 14, but could already run a couple racks, so I got in line. He had briefly been an official ‘straight pool champion’, so that was the designated game (we had never even heard of ‘one pocket’ or ‘bank pool’ back then). After he nearly DOUBLED everyone’s score by BANKING in every ball except the break shots, I soon lost interest, and put away my cue! I think the only game he lost all day was to our local ‘Star Player’, who beat him once at 3-cushion.

Old
  (#17)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
My father, who saw Mosconi play numerous times, used to watch today's players at 14.1 and he would just shake his head and say it was joke...no comparison... you had to see Willie play to understand. He was in the audience when Appleton ran 200 and said that that was the closest thing he has seen to how Mosconi played.
I saw him somewhere around 20 times so I consider your father and I to be incredibly fortunate. We understand each other when one of us says he had to be seen to be believed.
I also was there when Appleton ran the 200 and it was an exceptional run but it still fell short of Mosconi.
My opinion of who the 5 best 14.1 players of today are (and this is in order).
Niels Feijen, Hohmann, Appleton, Schmidt and Immonen.
These guys are all exceptional players but Willie Mosconi was on a whole nother level.
Might seem hard to believe but I think of the people who've seen him play, to a man, they'd agree with that statement.

Old
  (#18)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-12-2018, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=sparkle84;6166560]I saw him somewhere around 20 times so I consider your father and I to be incredibly fortunate. We understand each other when one of us says he had to be seen to be believed.
I also was there when Appleton ran the 200 and it was an exceptional run but it still fell short of Mosconi.
These guys are all exceptional players but Willie Mosconi was on a whole nother level.
Might seem hard to believe but I think of the people who've seen him play, to a man, they'd agree with that statement.[
/QUOTE]

I agree.
And being from the N.Y.N.J.Philly area I've seen a lot of great 14.1 players since the early '60s and while there were some true artists Willie was just a level above them all.
As said you really had to see him in person.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#19)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2018, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=measureman;6166661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
I saw him somewhere around 20 times so I consider your father and I to be incredibly fortunate. We understand each other when one of us says he had to be seen to be believed.
Might seem hard to believe but I think of the people who've seen him play, to a man, they'd agree with that statement.[
/QUOTE]

I agree.
And being from the N.Y.N.J.Philly area I've seen a lot of great 14.1 players since the early '60s and while there were some true artists Willie was just a level above them all.
My father had great respect for Cicero Murphy, but he always enjoyed recounting a match between Mosconi and Cicero. After a miss by Cicero, Mosconi did his thing. Balls falling one after another, kerplunk, kerplunk, kerplunk and on and on without end. Cicero just sat there slowly shaking his head.

Dan White

Old
  (#20)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 05:12 AM

[QUOTE=measureman;6166661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
/QUOTE]

I agree.

oh yeah. I've seen most of the modern day practitioners play in person. Not a one has made the game look so simple, so elegant, so effortless as Willie did.

Lou Figueroa

Play
Old
  (#21)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Play - 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushout View Post
I think there is an attitude today, especially among bar table players, that people who don't play the short rack games, can't for some reason. I think it also is prevalent among those who play only 9 ball. I remember a thread in the main forum by a guy who INSISTED that 9 ball was the only game to play to improve one's skill in pool.
I play both straight and 9 ball with some 8 ball. In my opinion 9 ball dictates your next shot and forces you to be able to move the cue ball around the table. This helps my position play in straight pool.

I had the opportunity to see Mosconi play an exhibition when I was 14 yrs. old I remember telling my buddy the same thing many others have mistakenly said after watching him run rack after rack. " all his shots were easy I could have done that "

I watched the YouTube tape of Melling ( my favorite player currently )running 225 and I saw him make some great shots as well as unbelievable break shots. I thought to myself
Mosconi played much better position not needing to make extreme shots. To run 100's on a regular basis and consistently have great shape says an awful lot about how good Willie Mosconi was.

Old
  (#22)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 07:48 PM

FWIW, I mostly play 14.1 these days, and I find 9 ball to be pretty boring and "easy." It's easy in the sense that if the table is open with no problems, I'm more than not going to run out.

At higher levels than me (and I pretty much feel like I suck) it's a much different game, but most of us are not at a pro level. I feel like a player like me (that sucks) can go head to head with a much better player than me and the final outcome will be something of a toss up.

Could I go head to head with a much MUCH better player? No way. I'd get killed.

That's where I think 9 ball falls short. A crappy me can go head to head with a really decent shot, and the outcome will still be something of a tossup. It's just 9 stupid balls, and then you start over. It really tends to equalize a lot of skill differences.

In 14.1, a player that is just a little better than me will start to pull ahead most of the time, and the longer the race the farther they pull ahead The cream rises to the top in 14.1 when the race is long enough.

I'm not surprised Mosconi didn't really like 9 ball. Until recently, the opening break was the great equalizer because no one could really predict it.

Old
  (#23)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
FWIW, I mostly play 14.1 these days, and I find 9 ball to be pretty boring and "easy." It's easy in the sense that if the table is open with no problems, I'm more than not going to run out.

At higher levels than me (and I pretty much feel like I suck) it's a much different game, but most of us are not at a pro level. I feel like a player like me (that sucks) can go head to head with a much better player than me and the final outcome will be something of a toss up.

Could I go head to head with a much MUCH better player? No way. I'd get killed.

That's where I think 9 ball falls short. A crappy me can go head to head with a really decent shot, and the outcome will still be something of a tossup. It's just 9 stupid balls, and then you start over. It really tends to equalize a lot of skill differences.

In 14.1, a player that is just a little better than me will start to pull ahead most of the time, and the longer the race the farther they pull ahead The cream rises to the top in 14.1 when the race is long enough.

I'm not surprised Mosconi didn't really like 9 ball. Until recently, the opening break was the great equalizer because no one could really predict it.
If you're playing 14.1 vs players who you can consistently beat as long as you're able to run up to 14 balls whenever they screw up early in the rack, yes, you're playing the wrong players and not challenging yourself. It is possible to play some decent straight pool with no more than 10-14 ball runs, as long as you end your inning with a good safety or virtually no balls left on the table.

However, playing against players who can string racks, and take totally different patterns to running out a rack to maximize their chances of leaving an ideal set-up ball and break ball, is a completely different game. That's the only way you'll improve your 14.1 game.

Old
  (#24)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14-1StraightMan View Post
I know for a fact that Mosconi did not like 9 ball but would play it when Road Players came into his town. I was told this by Leroy Kinman who was a very close personal friend of Mosconi's. Leroy told me that Willie always left the Road Players enough money in their pockets to take a bus out of town.... (Leroy who is play by play commentator during the match from Chicago between Mosconi & Jimmy Caras). As for Mosconi's skill level. I do believe that he was the best all around player that has ever lived. He is to the Sport of Pool as Jordan is to basketball, Marciano is to Boxing, Gretzky is to hockey and so on & on. I do not believe anyone can break his high run record and it's been a very long time since he has accomplished it. Too many things go wrong on the table but one never knows. On a side note. I had lunch with Mosconi when I was about 16... He treated me with totally respect and talked to me face to face with kindness.
Great post! Regarding the bold above:

Reproduced without permission (sue me) from Willie's Game (An Autobiography):

I remember one night in Bensinger's we were having a bite of lunch together, and a fairly good journeyman player by the name of Joe Sebastian came up to us and challenged Ponzi to play some nine-ball at fifty-dollars a game...[snipped brief rules to nine-ball]... Ponzi had no interest in playing nine-ball, but the guy kept at him and wouldn't let him eat his lunch. Sebastian had a backer with him and the two of them wouldn't let up. Finally, Andy, who was never more content than when he was eating, turned to me and said, "Willie, why don't you play this guy and shut him up?"

I won the lag for break and began ripping off rack after rack. At the end of each game, the backer peeled off fifty dollars and dropped it on the table. When I had won thirteen straight, the backer said, "That's it, I quit."

"Quit? How an you quit?" Sebastian said. "You haven't seen me shoot yet."

I think Mosconi could hold his own just fine at nine-ball, and then some.

Dan White

Old
  (#25)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
If you're playing 14.1 vs players who you can consistently beat as long as you're able to run up to 14 balls whenever they screw up early in the rack, yes, you're playing the wrong players and not challenging yourself. It is possible to play some decent straight pool with no more than 10-14 ball runs, as long as you end your inning with a good safety or virtually no balls left on the table.

However, playing against players who can string racks, and take totally different patterns to running out a rack to maximize their chances of leaving an ideal set-up ball and break ball, is a completely different game. That's the only way you'll improve your 14.1 game.
I agree, Chris. My point was that most of us aren't good enough at 9 ball to string together racks. Until you get to that point, the break tends to equalize a wide range of skill levels so I don't find it very interesting from a competition point of view.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: