Darren, Mika, etc.?

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has Darren given up on pool? What a talented player. How bout Mika, he was so good also.

I don't blame them if they did take a break. Being a pro pool player does not look like fun unless you regularly hoist a trophy full of cash. Gotta be stressful.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika was just playing Finnish Tournaments after He won Joy event on Chinese 8- or 9-ball in Portugal/Spain(can´t remember where. Mika seems to play pretty solid again.
Darren got new glasses and he just was playing first Eurotour after 7 years.
They sure can get back. Another thing is do they have the Desire to do work to get back on killer stroke?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Csi youtube channel.
Wpa 2019 has new videos with both gentlemen.
I posted one of Darrens in the beta blockers thread.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has Darren given up on pool? What a talented player. How bout Mika, he was so good also.

I don't blame them if they did take a break. Being a pro pool player does not look like fun unless you regularly hoist a trophy full of cash. Gotta be stressful.

Darren was at the top of his game and developed neck/shoulder pain a good 5 years back. Never recovered from it.

So few top players and so little money. Then you gotta beat even up and comer and foreigner who comes to the US.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren has had family health issues with parents as well.He can still be the best.I hope he climbs the mountain again.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are hall of famers but still struggling to make a good living off playing. Wish pool was better for players like these and so many others who truly deserve better.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think so...

Being a Hall of Famer might stroke and ego and give one a warm and fuzzy feeling. The thing that feels the best in ones old age is reaching a point where you can sit back and pay your bills and have some fun with out having to work.

I just hope they reach that place some day. I think Efren and a few others have.

But very few seem to.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Being a Hall of Famer might stroke and ego and give one a warm and fuzzy feeling. The thing that feels the best in ones old age is reaching a point where you can sit back and pay your bills and have some fun with out having to work.

I just hope they reach that place some day. I think Efren and a few others have.

But very few seem to.

Both have done a helluva lot better than Earl and are in much better shape financially. Neither one is destitute, you can believe that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just curious, do you follow pool at all? Reason i ask is both players are still out there doin it at a high level. You make it sound like they're retired. Far from it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, do you follow pool at all? Reason i ask is both players are still out there doin it at a high level. You make it sound like they're retired. Far from it.

They certainly are not seeing the same successes they saw in years past though.

You think otherwise?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They certainly are not seeing the same successes they saw in years past though.

You think otherwise?
No and that's not what the op asked either. He made it sound like they weren't playing at all. Appleton has had a lot of off-table issues. If he goes back to full-time i see him winning another big event. As for Mika, could actually not care less. Great player but might be the biggest whiner currently playing. Not a big fan.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both have done a helluva lot better than Earl and are in much better shape financially. Neither one is destitute, you can believe that.

Earl is a warrior monk. I don't think money means anything to him. He appears to be on his own journey.

Do you have access to Earl's finances to know what kind of shape he's in? Kind of interesting you threw his name out there.

And, I say that while noting you did him a solid and put his money into an investment that earned interest -- and surprised him with it years ago (I read and enjoyed your book).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't Appleton continuing that WPS tour he created about two or three years ago?
AFAIK that deal is kinda in limbo right now. The website is gone and no FB post since April. Just my guess here but with Predator doing the World 10ball now in Vegas and all the other stuff out there DA may have just folded shop.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl is a warrior monk. I don't think money means anything to him. He appears to be on his own journey.

Do you have access to Earl's finances to know what kind of shape he's in? Kind of interesting you threw his name out there.

And, I say that while noting you did him a solid and put his money into an investment that earned interest -- and surprised him with it years ago (I read and enjoyed your book).

It's no secret that Earl has been living off the kindness of others for years now. He can still make a buck once in a while in a tournament and from guest appearances but it's nothing like the lifestyle he used to enjoy when he was on top.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's no secret that Earl has been living off the kindness of others for years now. He can still make a buck once in a while in a tournament and from guest appearances but it's nothing like the lifestyle he used to enjoy when he was on top.

Point noted. It's a shame he didn't have someone to pull him aside and guide him in investing, saving, etc.

I really admire players like Nick Varner who saws the writing on the wall, and built a million dollar billiard supplies business and has done very well for himself. Of course he had a father who ran a successful business as well, so I'm sure he followed in those footsteps.

Thanks, Jay.