John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
This month Mr. 400 will try to break Mosconi's 526 record. Mid March 2019, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for (how many?) weeks.

I wish him the best of luck. How high will he go?

It is supposed to be streamed live. Post a link here when it does.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This month Mr. 400 will try to break Mosconi's 526 record. Mid March 2019, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for (how many?) weeks.

I wish him the best of luck. How high will he go?

It is supposed to be streamed live. Post a link here when it does.
He will be there for about a month so playing about 20 days of play. He is also scheduled to try for a month in Monterey in May and June. My vote is based on both sets of attempts.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where? Also, are any equipment details known? I'm sure it'll be a 9' table, and presumably not a diamond.

In Arizona it will be at Bullshooters on a 9-foot GC. In Monterey he plays on a 9-foot Rebco (California brand).

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I’ve been following John’s progress since his very early days at Hard Times Sacramento.
I have all the confidence in the World that John will (someday) surpass Mosconi’s Record.

jason

Silver Member
Wow a lot of optimists here. I hope you all are right. The record will be broken, it is just when and by whom.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I almost wonder if that's too much pool with not enough breaks.

Then again, without a large number of tries it's highly unlikely to happen. Let's assume the record-breaking run will take about 3 hours. If you give him a 0.5% chance of breaking the record in a given attempt and assume each attempt is independent, it would take about 70 six-hour sessions before he has even a 50/50 chance of succeeding. Not perfect math of course given that not every run lasts 3 hours, the attempts are not really independent, and it ignores psychology, but gives an idea of how difficult it will be.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if a pro speed player has put the time and effort into this endeavor, well, since Mosconi. I think he takes it down.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
John's no spring chicken anymore. I'm wondering how his stamina will hold up. I think 400+ would be a remarkable feat. It's not everyday (or week) somebody does that.

I would like to see John break the record so all the talk about the table/conditions Mosconi set the record with will go away.

Besides...it will be the greatest comeback in sports history, from making sandwiches to setting a world record. :thumbup:

Maniac

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
John is determined to break Mosconi's record and imo he will! Of course it is different eras and much different conditions (too many to list here) but a 527 or more will be just that, the longest recorded and witnessed run of Straight Pool of all time. The fact that it is so hard to do and John has had to make so many attempts is testament to how skilled Mosconi truly was.

jason

Silver Member
Lets remember a couple of things here. John has broken 400 only 4 times. I say only with all due respect. One time is awesome and 4 times is superb, but obviously 400 is not easy at all. Can he do it? I believe so. Will he do it? I'm not so sure.

Also, whoever breaks the record will do it on equiptment that is tougher than what Misconi played on. No disrespect to the late, great Mr. Mosconi, but when its done on a tougher table, that person will put themselves in a class by themself.

Besides John, who else do you think is a top contender to break the record? Didn't Cory run close to 400 within the last couple years?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lets remember a couple of things here. John has broken 400 only 4 times. I say only with all due respect. One time is awesome and 4 times is superb, but obviously 400 is not easy at all. Can he do it? I believe so. Will he do it? I'm not so sure.

Also, whoever breaks the record will do it on equiptment that is tougher than what Misconi played on. No disrespect to the late, great Mr. Mosconi, but when its done on a tougher table, that person will put themselves in a class by themself.

Besides John, who else do you think is a top contender to break the record? Didn't Cory run close to 400 within the last couple years?
Dennis Orcullo was consistently making 200s every year at the DCC 14.1 challenge event on Diamonds. Filler, who has the record of 285 at DCC (video on YouTube) is another contender, and Filler is a spring chicken.

jason

Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo was consistently making 200s every year at the DCC 14.1 challenge event on Diamonds. Filler, who has the record of 285 at DCC (video on YouTube) is another contender, and Filler is a spring chicken.

Niels and Melling I think could make a good run at it too. I would like to see Efren do it since he is retired and has time on his hands now. :)

What is the second highest run that we know of? I don't know anyone who is above Johns 434 except for Mosconi. Is that the second highest of all time?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if there was an incentive, say a 100k prize, i don't think mosconis record would last a year. the question would be who would reach it first

hohmann, filler, lee van, orcullo, shane, niels, melling, schmidt.. probably many more contenders. todays pros are such good shotmakers it's unbelievable

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Niels and Melling I think could make a good run at it too. I would like to see Efren do it since he is retired and has time on his hands now. :)

What is the second highest run that we know of? I don't know anyone who is above Johns 434 except for Mosconi. Is that the second highest of all time?
I think it is the second highest of any exhibition run. There have been lots of rumored and real practice runs that are higher. I don't know the situation for Engert's 491. Some believe that Eufemia did have a 625 but it needed more documentation. Eufemia certainly stated clearly that he made the run.

I hope John busts out and does a 777. I think he has about one chance in 100 of doing that in his next two sessions. I think he is odds on for 526+ in his next 40 days of attempts.