Schmelke Merry Widow

ron3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone had experience with the Schmelke Merry Widows are the durable, shoot well or are they just average cues at there price point.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone had experience with the Schmelke Merry Widows are the durable, shoot well or are they just average cues at there price point.

At their price point, they are excellent, as are their basic 4 point sneakys. :cool:

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been using one of their one piece rosewood butts with a carbon fiber shaft and i love it. The finish seems soft compared to the top tier cue I have but for 99 bucks I'm not complaining. I can't speak for their other styles of cues but the full splice and 1 piece are nice for the money.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have two. Bocote and Rosewood. They play great and have never warped. Soft hit, maybe the the Implex joint and soft tip?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in the shop in Rice Lake, the cues play as very well.
Wonderful value, excellent cues. You can't get hurt

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about their merry widow, but my most recent purchase was for the full-splice rosewood at 60" (30/30 split) with regular shaft turned down to 12.3mm and got the 1/2" ferrule...hits absolutely wonderful and has its own unique sound/feel. The fit/finish wasn't the best with some issues on the butt, otherwise it is great!

81O2iogh.png

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member

At the price point I don't think you can do better. They have built a LOT of cues for me and any issues were dealt with no questions asked.
Here are the most recent cues they built for me and one is a Merry Widow:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=507365

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of you the minute I read this post, but forgot what your user name was.

Please post a mini review once you get in hand and play a few hours.

Just got it a couple hours ago.
My initial take is no one would mistake it for a high end custom.
But considering the price point it is outstanding.
Highly figured Bocote wood looks good.
Edit-it's a light bocote not a deep brown
The fit and finish is perfect,everything is flush and smooth.
The linen wrap is done well but not pressed real smooth it has grip to it.
Real smooth wrap or wrap with grip would be a personal preference.
My Lucasi linen is smooth to the point that it feels like leather,this will take some getting used to.
Might have to have it pressed some more.
The shaft wood is not the best but it is acceptable.
The shaft taper is good but not the same as my Lucasi but close enough.
The balance feels very neutral.
That's it for now.
I will play with it on Saturday.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
27 years ago, Jerry Briesath, Mark Wilson and myself took a group of 10 kids (including 10 yr old Sarah Rousey) on a field trip to Rice Lake to visit the Schmelke shop. They took our whole group in hand and gave us the royal treatment! I was so impressed, I wrote a letter to the company president. It completely changed my view and opinions about Schmelke cues! They are solid...and very reasonable. At the time, they had over 100 models of cues...NONE of them priced over $100! :eek: :D

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I've been in the shop in Rice Lake, the cues play as very well.
Wonderful value, excellent cues. You can't get hurt

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy I know was playing with his Searing Sneaky Pete at Brian's last Sunday.

It was made from a Schmelke blank.

With all due respect for Searing, since he is not here to represent himself, how do you know Dennis did this?

Is there a chance that someone put a logo on like his? Did the cue have points? If so, were the bottom ones sharp or flat?

I have respect for both names involved here, Schmelke and Searing.

I will be asking Dennis about this, if false, perhaps this can be deleted. If true, Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the understanding.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy I know was playing with his Searing Sneaky Pete at Brian's last Sunday.

It was made from a Schmelke blank.
I hope the guy has sense enough to know who not to send it to for repairs. He may end up waiting 12 years or more, or never get it back.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect for Searing, since he is not here to represent himself, how do you know Dennis did this?

Is there a chance that someone put a logo on like his? Did the cue have points? If so, were the bottom ones sharp or flat?

I have respect for both names involved here, Schmelke and Searing.

I will be asking Dennis about this, if false, perhaps this can be deleted. If true, Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the understanding.

I was told that by the guy who owns the cue. It has the Searing logo on it.

The guy has a lot of big name cues. Lambros, Bluegrass, Tad, etc.

I hit some balls with it, but I didn't do an inspection on it. It was a nice 4-point blank of dark wood with a brown linen wrap. I think he said it had ivory ferrules.

I was going to take a picture of it, but didn't. If he brings it Sunday, I will

Last edited: