Dispelling the myth: Magic Chalk

cpcntr

Registered
Its a strange to start posting here with a such thread, but i can't just disregard it.

Firstly wanna say hi to all AZB members, my name is Alexey and im from Moscow, Russia and im reading this board for a some years, but never tried to register (had no reasons to post smth and some language difficulties). Ive seen some threads where ppl are trading and discussing Russian Magic Chalk and i found it really interesting for me cuz i never heard about this chalk here. So i got some hi-res photos of this chalk and was a bit confused :)

Nothing strange for non-native russian speakers, but its very funny for me :grin:
"СДЕЛАННАЯ РОССИЯ" is a wrong translation of "Made in Russia" and should be written as "СДЕЛАНО В РОССИИ". To feel my pain after reading it just imagine u found a sign like "MADE USA" at the master chalk cube :)

I don't wanna say that Magic Chalk is good or bad, never tried it, so if you like it you still may use it, nothing changed. But i wanna say it's a fake that this chalk is russian.

Attachments

• MagicChalk.jpg
    MagicChalk.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,832
Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Its a strange to start posting here with a such thread, but i can't just disregard it.

Firstly wanna say hi to all AZB members, my name is Alexey and im from Moscow, Russia and im reading this board for a some years, but never tried to register (had no reasons to post smth and some language difficulties). Ive seen some threads where ppl are trading and discussing Russian Magic Chalk and i found it really interesting for me cuz i never heard about this chalk here. So i got some hi-res photos of this chalk and was a bit confused :)

Nothing strange for non-native russian speakers, but its very funny for me :grin:
"СДЕЛАННАЯ РОССИЯ" is a wrong translation of "Made in Russia" and should be written as "СДЕЛАНО В РОССИИ". To feel my pain after reading it just imagine u found a sign like "MADE USA" at master chalk cube :)

I don't wanna say that Magic Chalk is good or bad, never tried it, so if you like it you still may use it, nothing changed. But i wanna say it's a fake that this chalk is russian.

Welcome to the forum. Interesting observation.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
СДЕЛАННАЯ РОССИЯ translates to RUSSIAN MADE in Google translator.

СДЕЛАНО В РОССИИ translates to MADE IN RUSSIA

Not terrible, but I know Google translator isn't perfect either.

Can the OP translate what it says above this line?

cpcntr

Registered
Above is a "ВОЛШЕБНЫЙ МЕЛ" aka magic chalk, here the translation is ok

"RUSSIAN MADE" can't be translated straight cuz the structure of our language is a bit different, and actually "сделанная россия" it's a completely wrong in terms of language rules.

Last edited:

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, basically it says

Magic Chalk
Russian Made

As some languages flip flop words/lines, etc. It could translate into

Russian Made
Magic Chalk

Interesting finding. Chicago RJ is the Magic Chalk guy. I don't know that he has anything to defend on this, but it is interesting.

I got a free cube from Chicago RJ and I love it. Going to be ordering some more, and maybe even become a dealer.

Not sure what the nefarious part of actually not being made in Russia would be for whomever the creator is.

Diamond69
(still a user no matter where it's made).

cpcntr

Registered
Just believe me, the guy who designed the package is not a native russian speaker :) I never heard about this chalk here and i can say more, i know only one chalk really "made in russia", but it completely different (it's hard like silver cup, designed for russian pyramide tips) and a quite new to be a "magic chalk" mentioned here.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, interesting! As someone who works with translations a lot I always find things like this humorous. Probably would have been real easy to find a native speaker to proof that short phrase. Google translate fails again, haha.

Still good chalk though, regardless of where it comes from and what it says on the box.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is old news. When I first heard of this chalk I PM'ed member Vahmurka and he said the same thing that the OP has stated. That was about 5 or so years ago. You'd all get a real chuckle as to the person that turned me on to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is old news. When I first heard of this chalk I PM'ed member Vahmurka and he said the same thing that the OP has stated. That was about 5 or so years ago. You'd all get a real chuckle as to the person that turned me on to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

First person I heard that really liked the chalk was Tammie Jones.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wondered why a product made in Russia would have "Made in Russia" in english on the box.

It would be kind of like making a product here and putting Russian text on the box.

Weird, great post.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wondered why a product made in Russia would have "Made in Russia" in english on the box.

It would be kind of like making a product here and putting Russian text on the box.

Weird, great post.

Honestly, I wouldn't find a foreign (to Americans) product with English text very strange at all. English text is used on a lot of foreign products. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen craft breweries outside of the USA that label their beers in English and their native language.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I wouldn't find a foreign (to Americans) product with English text very strange at all. English text is used on a lot of foreign products. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen craft breweries outside of the USA that label their beers in English and their native language.

Good point.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with OP. I was recently there and asked a few people in the local pool hall...hoping to bring some back...nobody ever heard of it.

Edit: Played some pyramid billiards while I was there too! Hardest game I've tried by far!

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i've spoken to RJ (remember that little Rhea match-thing), and i'm real sure from his accent - that he's Russian....

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
i've spoken to RJ (remember that little Rhea match-thing), and i'm real sure from his accent - that he's Russian....

Oh the memories with that fiasco LOL

Still feel bad about that, should have played smarter... anyway, it was entertainment for the masses for a few days LOL