Pivot or entire cue adjust?

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is convenient adjusting the entire cue or the pivot? Why?

It depends on the situation?

Where can i find info

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where can i find info

Something got lost in translation. What exactly are you referring to?

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something got lost in translation. What exactly are you referring to?
I am referring to giving side effect to the cue ball. When adjusting the pivot.. Or when adjusting all the cue. I have an predator sport 2 with 314 3

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am referring to giving side effect to the cue ball. When adjusting the pivot.. Or when adjusting all the cue. I have an predator sport 2 with 314 3

Do you mean applying side-spin to the ball? Front-hand english vs. moving the whole cue? Still not sure what you're asking. Your terminology is what's confusing me.

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean applying side-spin to the ball? Front-hand english vs. moving the whole cue? Still not sure what you're asking. Your terminology is what's confusing me.
Yes.. Front hand vs the whole cue. Difference

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.. Front hand vs the whole cue. Difference

With a low-deflection shaft its not going to be much diference. I almost always use BHE when using spin and i have a Mezz semi-LD shaft. You really need to just experiment with both and find what YOU prefer. With a 314 your bridge length with BHE will be a little longer than a standard solid shaft. Dr.Dave has a video that shows how to determine your own bridge length for your shaft. https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal-video/nv-b-71/

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he means aiming at his spot on the OB and then adjusting for English/sidespin. He can move both hands over to the right a little and have a 3 o'clock hit point on OB. Moving both hands over would be parallel shifting where as if he kept his front hand still then moved or 'pivoted' the back hand to the left it would also have the tip at the 3 o'clock postion. I've seen examples of Efren mastering this!

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Where can i find info

I don’t like the Pivot style of applying English/side spin. It just seems unnatural and awkward to me. If you’re trying to get really good and will be spending many hours a week practicing I’d say just get the natural feel of how to shoot with spin. Then when you go to shoot you will just automatically set your cue up where it needs to be. I feel like the FHE/BHE mathmatica May be a good cheat to accurately use spin quicker but ultimately will limit your skill or at least enjoyment and laser focus flow.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The System for Aiming With Sidespin covers in detail the different ways to adjust you aim, with and without pivots.

You might also find the following resources of interest:

back-hand (BHE) and front-hand english (FHE)

parallel english

aim compensation when using sidespin

Enjoy,

Dave
Talking with a friend he recommend me adjusting the entire cue line.. It means parallel english becuase he advise me only the masters and very good players adjust the pivot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The System for Aiming With Sidespin covers in detail the different ways to adjust your aim, with and without pivots.

You might also find the following resources of interest:

back-hand (BHE) and front-hand english (FHE)

parallel english

aim compensation when using sidespin
Talking with a friend he recommend me adjusting the entire cue line.. It means parallel english because he advise me only the masters and very good players adjust the pivot
I think your friend is incorrect. Most "masters and very good players" just instinctively aim to compensate for everything (squirt, swerve, throw) ... coming down into their stance with the cue already aligned in the direction necessary to send the CB where they want. However, for people who don't yet have excellent intuition built up from countless years of successful practice and experience, the pivot techniques can be quite useful and effective.

Regards,
Dave

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your friend is incorrect. Most "masters and very good players" just instinctively aim to compensate for everything (squirt, swerve, throw) ... coming down into their stance with the cue already aligned in the direction necessary to send the CB where they want. However, for people who don't yet have excellent intuition built up from countless years of successful practice and experience, the pivot techniques can be quite useful and effective.

Regards,

Dave
And other topic.. the go out of the cue ball after impact an object ball, or after impact the bank is the same using front hand english or paralel english? If it would be the same we can choose the more reliable for us..

And its obvious when i practice i always try to come down in the line..

Regards.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen a cue that had lowcdeflection it seems to me they all shoot the cue ball off to the side
i watched Dr Dave demonstrate the same thing on his video

it did seem that the pivot point was different on different cues or shafts
but from what i could gather it was still requiring compensation for the squitror deflection

I never did catch on
my recomendation to you is to view Dr Daves videos,they are free to watch on here

it seems like he has done a lot of scientific investigation into the issues
and I think he really knows what he is talking about

Good luck trying to get a srtraight answer that is helpful

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen a cue that had lowcdeflection it seems to me they all shoot the cue ball off to the side
i watched Dr Dave demonstrate the same thing on his video

it did seem that the pivot point was different on different cues or shafts
but from what i could gather it was still requiring compensation for the squitror deflection

I never did catch on
my recomendation to you is to view Dr Daves videos,they are free to watch on here

it seems like he has done a lot of scientific investigation into the issues
and I think he really knows what he is talking about

Good luck trying to get a srtraight answer that is helpful
Obviously you have to adjust you to your cue and your intution. There is no cue that no deflect the cue ball at 100 %. But is better playing with ld shaft because is helpful.

I was watching also dave videos.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
And other topic.. the go out of the cue ball after impact an object ball, or after impact the bank is the same using front hand english or paralel english? If it would be the same we can choose the more reliable for us
If your cue is pointing in the right direction (to compensate for squirt, swerve, and throw, when necessary) at the brief moment of CB-cue-tip impact, it doesn't matter how your get there, as long as you can do so accurately and consistently.

Regards,
Dave