quiet eye

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Linking to a "Pocket" article here, hopefully not an issue. I have never understood just what Pocket is.

Anyway, we talk about quiet eye now and then. Here is an article on it and I see some familiar names from other discussions. I don't know if this article is recycled or not.

I do find it interesting that "quiet eye" is equally needed for things like golf where your target is holding still, and some of the sports where your target is coming at you at around a hundred miles an hour.

Hu

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-athletes-need-a-quiet-eye?utm_source=pocket-newtab

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Linking to a "Pocket" article here, hopefully not an issue. I have never understood just what Pocket is.

Anyway, we talk about quiet eye now and then. Here is an article on it and I see some familiar names from other discussions. I don't know if this article is recycled or not.

I do find it interesting that "quiet eye" is equally needed for things like golf where your target is holding still, and some of the sports where your target is coming at you at around a hundred miles an hour.

Hu

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-athletes-need-a-quiet-eye?utm_source=pocket-newtab
REALLY good stuff. The top putters on the PGATour are masters at this technique. I would imagine top pool/snooker players are no different.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DDG user? They give you quite a spread of interesting stuff without having to subscribe to Pocket which is just a place to archive stuff you find on the web.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool School (Randy G, Scott Lee) and others have been proponents of quiet eyes for a very long time. Decades, I’s gather. It’s a pretty standard item for instructors. Not sure how long this study has been around.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eye-tracking in relation to concentration is not a new concept.First showed up in the sixties. One thing i find kind of amazing is that by simply focusing/gazing on an object 12-18 away from you can slow your hear-rate/brain-waves and increase clarity and focus. Pretty cool.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eye-tracking in relation to concentration is not a new concept.First showed up in the sixties. One thing i find kind of amazing is that by simply focusing/gazing on an object 12-18 away from you can slow your hear-rate/brain-waves and increase clarity and focus. Pretty cool.

12-18 what away? Feet or inches?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12-18 what away? Feet or inches?
Oooops, sorry. Inches. Anything from about a foot away on out. I talked to a friend who plays world class darts and he said he just looks at the ring of wire on the board before throwing. I would imagine basketball players shooting FT's look at the rim or some spot on the backboard before shooting. Most good putters focus on the ball, some on the hole itself.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I would imagine basketball players shooting FT's look at the rim or some spot on the backboard before shooting.

My high-school BB coach taught me to always look at the back of the rim while shooting free throws. He said it helps prevent your shots from going short.

And I must say, on the days/nights I incorporate good eye patterns (aka "quiet eye") into my shot routine, I always shoot better pool. I make the transition on the back end of a longer-than-normal final practice stroke (but not as long as Chris Melling's)

Maniac

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct Freddie! We have been teaching "quiet eye" to players of all abilities for more than 30 years. In 1999 the University of FL performed and published the results of the "Quiet Eye Study", which underscored and reinforced what we had been teaching already for many years. For pool, the quiet eye is about how, where, when, why, and how long we focus on specific points on the CB and OB...after aiming, but before your warmup cycle. After training an accurate and repeatable stroke, learning to incorporate quiet eye into your process is the 2nd most important thing you can bring to your game, to achieve higher levels of performance. When working with expert/pro players quiet eye is the one thing that can separate them from other pros. In every case where I have taught a student how to use and train 'quiet eye' (and they practiced it correctly) it drastically improved their performance. As Vickers' research showed, you actually slow down the process, to help ingrain the new technique. Not all PBIA instructors understand quiet eye, nor know how to teach it. ALL PBIA/SPF certified instructors not only know about quiet eye, but understand how to teach it as well.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Scott Lee

Pool School (Randy G, Scott Lee) and others have been proponents of quiet eyes for a very long time. Decades, I’s gather. It’s a pretty standard item for instructors. Not sure how long this study has been around.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My high-school BB coach taught me to always look at the back of the rim while shooting free throws. He said it helps prevent your shots from going short.

And I must say, on the days/nights I incorporate good eye patterns (aka "quiet eye") into my shot routine, I always shoot better pool. I make the transition on the back end of a longer-than-normal final practice stroke (but not as long as Chris Melling's)

Maniac

it is interesting in pool how some great shooters are able to make the final stroke completely in the "Quiet Eye" mode WITHOUT any pause in their final stroke- I always marvel at that- for me, like you, I need to make the transition on a longer pause final stroke to maximize the "Quiet Eye" mode until the shot is complete.
I have mentioned alot on this site how I focus on this aspect of my game now and I see so much improvement in shotmaking, and knowing how to get back on track very quickly with this quiet eye focus.
One must have only positive thoughts on the outcome of a shot during the pre shot routine for this to work consistently. "Quiet Eye" follows confidence, not doubt.

Sofaking

Registered
The technology on this in other sports is very advanced!

In golf, the technology to support this is amazing. I just attended a seminar on this then had a lesson to reinforce the concept.
You wear a neoprene headband with sensors that are placed within. If you are target focused, you get a distinct sound. If you are task focused you get a different sound. The training consist of teaching a person to do all of their decision making/ task specific thoughts while behind the ball. i.e. club selection, shot selection, etc. Then get target focused and maintain that target focus as you address the ball through the follow through. It teaches you to "let it do". So, behind the ball, you decide to hit a draw or fade, trajectory, and the distance you want to hit the shot. You rehearse that motion. You commit to that shot. Then you get target focused. Step in and hit it.
The sensors in the headband can pick up where your brain activity is coming from. If you have even the slightest thought about "how" to hit the shot after you get target focused, the auditory response changes and lets you know. If you typically have swing thoughts over the ball it can be pretty frustrating to break that habit. Once the technique is learned it's much easier to play low stress golf, or lower stress golf.
My understanding is that the same technology is being used in Pro baseball as well for pitching.
It might sound like a snake oil concept; but, I can assure you that I tried to fool it and the damn thing would bust me AS SOON as my focus would waiver from the target.
I would imagine in pool this could be very useful as well. I've never thought of applying it to pool; but, I sure will now!

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
two parter

LakeMan linked the first of a two part video although the video's didn't make that plain. The second part is on the driving range, where SofaKing got ratted out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGjwkJwXCGc

It is interesting to take what we can learn from one sport and use it for something else. Nobody is spending a bunch of time and money for research towards pool. I think there is a little spent on snooker. Anyway, we can borrow from things that seem pretty far distant sometimes. Golf and bowling seem closest to pool of the sports likely to be studied, or so it seems to me offhand.

Years ago I was training horses for the track. Horses are very big and very delicate, makes them lousy laboratory animals and comparatively little research was done on them even when horse racing was much more thriving. My solution was to study human sports medicine where there were millions or billions spent and lots of research. One of the main things I hit on was interval training. I kept my own council and my primary pony went nine for nine that season!

My best horse was a sprinter, and from my pool days I was a bit of a hustler. I put barrel plates on the horses for a number of reasons, the biggest being they looked like working shoes and performed almost like the cleated aluminum racing plates.

Horse racing on the brush tracks was fun, no holds barred. Open doping, batteries, anything somebody could think of to make a horse go faster. I limited myself to training, good feed and supplements, a little B-12 at the right time.

Hu

Sofaking

Registered
I think the shooting sports are the most applicable to this type of training. In fact, I would be shocked if top level shooters in every discipline from Palma to Trap to IPSC have not already explored this.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
can't remember but it has been a long time

I think the shooting sports are the most applicable to this type of training. In fact, I would be shocked if top level shooters in every discipline from Palma to Trap to IPSC have not already explored this.

A friend shoots trap pretty seriously and I think it put his son through college. Asking him about quiet eye might be an excuse to say hello. I have never shot trap, don't remember if I tried it or not, certainly didn't pursue it at all. Shot a little skeet. I was trying to stand and get my gun up quick enough to shoot the pigeons on the center stage, the one stage I missed consistently. A range bum showed me to fold my knees as I swung the gun up and I don't think I missed those pigeons ever again. I didn't really see the pigeon after it was flung, at least not consciously. The pigeon was flung, it was powdered. I wasn't aware of much happening in between.

I used to talk to the Palma guys every night, another group I lost track of. I was having an ongoing gentlemanly discussion with one of the guys when he mentioned he would be gone ten days or so. When he got back he had won a match at the world championships. Still thought I was right about the technical discussion but I let it drop! :thumbup:

I don't know about the IPSC guys, I don't think they did a couple decades ago but it has been a while. I used to compete with and talk to Jerry Miculek's brother Donny. Aside from his IPSC championships Jerry was the best in the world with a revolver for decades and quicker than a snake. Donny said that when he talked to Jerry about picking up targets and such, particularly moving targets, Jerry couldn't explain it, he just did it. Would have to hook him up to machinery to see how he did it.

I used to short track a bit, mostly late models on dirt. Before I started driving myself I asked maybe a dozen good drivers how they managed to run inches off of each other's bumpers lap after lap. None of them could give me an answer. After I had a little experience I did the same thing, far too close together for reaction times to explain things yet a pack of cars became like one organism flowing around the track. Was something like quiet eye involved? I remembered the question well when others asked me about it. "You just do it" is a terribly poor answer but all I had.

I appreciate all who have posted in this thread and hope it isn't done yet. I doubt we get definitive answers about exactly how to apply quiet eye to pool other than not jittering back and forth as I have seen recommended and tried. "Look at the cue ball on the back stroke, the object ball on the forward stroke!" One of the many bits of advice I have tried that didn't work at all for me!

Hu

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nice read thx....In our game, a term I'm sure many have heard and seen is when someone is ''in the zone''. That expression would seem to parallel that thinking. It's time when Everything slows down, one gets calm and one's thought process gets clearer. Another terminology the pros used over the years, ''smooths out''. One player that comes to mind that seemed to have all these qualities all the time was Gilbert Martinez outta TX. Calm was his persona/nature/character. If you've ever been lucky enough to watch this man, his play style/character made you calmer just being around em.