Bad Day in Dallas

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Bad Day In Dallas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I am posting this story for my friend, SJDinPHX, "San Jose" Dick McMorran, who is currently experiencing computer technical problems and is unable to post it under his own name)

A Bad Day in Dallas

by Dick (San Jose) Mc Morran

For more years than I care to remember my life has consisted of matching up and getting down. The larger cities had great old rooms where all the guys doing the same thing would come together to try and get the best of each other. But most of the time, it was on the road in a strange town where you could slip in, unknown, and get some "soft" action playing the hometown champion. Many times I have wished I'd chosen a little softer career path.

Shortly before the assasination of JFK, I left San Jose and moved to Dallas. It was an ominous beginning to the best 7 or 8 years of my life. Within a few hundred miles of where I settled in Arlington, there was all the action (soft and tough) any player could want. Wichita, O.K. City, Tulsa, Shreveport, and Houston were all less than a tank of gas away. With gas at thirty cents a gallon, my 1959 Buick rarely saw under 80 MPH getting to where the action was.

Now to my story. I'm awakened at 3 AM from a sound sleep by a voice I recognized immediately. It's Puckett and he said "Get your ass down here right now"! Only half awake and lying next to the sweetest "pool groupie" I'd ever met, I said "F--- you"! U.J. went on to explain. A mutual acquaintance of ours, George McGann was loser some serious money, backing U.J. against some young stranger. George wants you to get over here and try and get him even. The kid says he'll wait so hurry up". I threw on some clothes and got a warning from Sweetie Pie (she tended bar for George) and she said "Watch out for him, he can be real mean". I knew that very well. I said "Not to worry, he's going to be on my side". I was forty minutes away from George's bar on Lemon Street; I made it in twenty five.

I knew that George was probably the most dangerous and unpredictable tush-hog in all of Texas. T.J. Parker, who owned a pool room in Houston, was just as mean, but not as crazy. George was known to brag about his many enemies "disappearance"..Yeah, they found him dead in the desert shot full of holes, terrible case of "suicide".

As I entered, George, Puckett and Billy T. (another Dallas tough guy and a real good friend) were sitting at the end of the bar. A young handsome blond guy was dancing to some loud music with his girlfriend. This kid, I learned later, was Surfer Rod. It was our first of many encounters. The guys filled me in on what had happened. George was $800 loser backing U.J. at $50-$100 eight ball. Billy T. was a few hundred loser side betting. That's a lot of money in today's dollars. After trying to get him to play nine ball, Rod finally stopped dancing long enough to flip a coin and we kicked it off for $50 a game eight ball.

Bar table eight ball was not my best game. After a few hours of see-sawing, I was a game or two loser. Rod was playing pretty solid. In a flash of brilliance I said "Let's jack it to $100 and play last pocket". Rod danced over to the juke box and said "You got it". Puckett agreed that should give me an edge and sheepishly admitted he should have thought of that.

Sure enough, I won about 5-6 games in a row and Rod said "That's all, I quit". I sensed something was going down. Billy T. left (very unusual)
and James Pelfrey came in. James was one of George's pet gofers and a poorly educated, big, mean tush-hog. James would literally "kill" for George. He was a real loose cannon. As Rod is gathering up his stuff, George came out from behind the bar with the biggest handgun I'd ever seen. He put it right up to Rod's temple and said "You ain't quitting Mother F-----r!" I tried to calm George down and even told him I wouldn't play under those conditions. He's still got the gun two inches from poor Rod's head, he turned his wild eyes in my direction and said "Yes you will, Dick".

Whatever medication George was on, in his mind, this was an honorable way to get his money back, short of an outright heist. He told Rod if he busted us, he could leave with no problem..right! Rod and I had no choice but to continue the charade at virtual gunpoint. He threw me a few more games (George was still a few hundred loser) and Rod, never short on pure guts, said "I quit, shoot me if you want to". Puckett had gotten George calmed down a little by that time and he let Rod and his sobbing girlfriend leave the joint. I followed him out to the parking lot and his car had been ransacked, trunk pried open, seats and floor mats pulled up, etc. I hadn't noticed but James had been absent for the last half hour.

I was profusely apologetic about what had taken place. He understood it was not my fault. In fact we met and played the very next night, just the two of us, at an undisclosed location. Once again, Rod did not like it. He got robbed without a gun to his head! But that's another story.

If anyone wants more information about what a dangerous character this George McGann was

See post # 13 (This thread) for link to Geo. Mc Gann. It is a fascinating read by an old friend...Johnny Hughes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Charles M : 03-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
A Bad Day In Dallas

(I am posting this story for my friend, SJDinPHX, "San Jose" Dick McMorran, who is currently experiencing computer technical problems and is unable to post it under his own name)

A Bad Day in Dallas

For more years than I care to remember my life has consisted of matching up and getting down. The larger cities had great old rooms where all the guys doing the same thing would come together to try and get the best of each other. But most of the time, it was on the road in a strange town where you could slip in, unknown, and get some "soft" action playing the hometown champion. Many times I have wished I'd chosen a little softer career path.

Shortly before the assination of JFK, I left San Jose and moved to Dallas. It was an ominous beginning to the best 7 or 8 years of my life. Within a few hundred miles of where I settled in Arlington, there was all the action (soft and tough) any player could want. Wichita, O.K. City, Tulsa, Shreveport, and Houston were all less than a tank of gas away. With gas at thirty cents a gallon, my 1959 Buick rarely saw under 80 MPH getting to where the action was.

Now to my story. I'm awakened at 3 AM from a sound sleep by a voice I recognized immediately. It's Puckett and he said "Get your ass down here right now"! Only half awake and lying next to the sweetest "pool groupie" I'd ever met, I said "F--- you"! U.J. went on to explain. A mutual acquaintance of ours, George McGann was loser some serious money, backing U.J. against some young stranger. George wants you to get over here and try and get him even. The kid says he'll wait so hurry up". I threw on some clothes and got a warning from Sweetie Pie (she tended bar for George) and she said "Watch out for him, he can be real mean". I knew that very well. I said "Not to worry, he's going to be on my side". I was forty minutes away from George's bar on Lemon Street; I made it in twenty five.

I knew that George was probably the most dangerous and unpredictable tush-hog in all of Texas. T.J. Parker, who owned a pool room in Houston, was just as mean, but not as crazy. George was known to brag about his many enemies "disappearance"..Yeah, they found him dead in the desert shot full of holes, terrible case of "suicide".

As I entered, George, Puckett and Billy T. (another Dallas tough guy and a real good friend) were sitting at the end of the bar. A young handsome blond guy was dancing to some loud music with his girlfriend. This kid, I learned later, was Surfer Rod. It was our first of many encounters. The guys filled me in on what had happened. George was $800 loser backing U.J. at $50-$100 eight ball. Billy T. was a few hundred loser side betting. That's a lot of money in today's dollars. After trying to get him to play nine ball, Rod finally stopped dancing long enough to flip a coin and we kicked it off for $50 a game eight ball.

Bar table eight ball was not my best game. After a few hours of see-sawing, I was a game or two loser. Rod was playing pretty solid. In a flash of brilliance I said "Let's jack it to $100 and play last pocket". Rod danced over to the juke box and said "You got it". Puckett agreed that should give me an edge and sheepishly admitted he should have thought of that.

Sure enough, I won about 5-6 games in a row and Rod said "That's all, I quit". I sensed something was going down. Billy T. left (very unusual)
and James Pelfrey came in. James was one of George's pet gofers and a poorly educated, big, mean tush-hog. James would literally "kil"? for George. He was a real loose cannon. As Rod is gathering up his stuff, George came out from behind the bar with the biggest handgun I'd ever seen. He put it right up to Rod's temple and said "You ain't quitting Mother F-----r!" I tried to calm George down and even told him I wouldn't play under those conditions. He's still got the gun two inches from poor Rod's head, he turned his wild eyes in my direction and said "Yes you will, Dick".

Whatever medication George was on, in his mind, this was an honorable way to get his money back, short of an outright heist. He told Rod if he busted us, he could leave with no problem..right! Rod and I had no choice but to continue the charade at virtual gunpoint. He threw me a few more games (George was still a few hundred loser) and Rod, never short on pure guts, said "I quit, shoot me if you want to". Puckett had gotten George calmed down a little by that time and he let Rod and his sobbing girlfriend leave the joint. I followed him out to the parking lot and his car had been ransacked, trunk pried open, seats and floor mats pulled up, etc. I hadn't noticed but James had been absent for the last half hour.

I was profusely apologetic about what had taken place. He understood it was not my fault. In fact we met and played the very next night, just the two of us, at an undisclosed location. Once again, Rod did not like it. He got robbed without a gun to his head! But that's another story.

If anyone wants more information about what a dangerous character this George McGann was, check out this link to a blog post by Johny Hughes, an old card mechanic friend of mine.

http://guinnessandpoker.blogspot.com...8_archive.html

Great story! Rod was an incredible character and not short on guts,or heart.
I took him to a couple of spots and he scared the hell out of me more than once.

TJ Parker??? I'm scared to even talk about him .

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
Great story! Rod was an incredible character and not short on guts,or heart.
I took him to a couple of spots and he scared the hell out of me more than once.

TJ Parker??? I'm scared to even talk about him .
Ironman, Rod and I are the only two guys in that story who are still above
ground. A mutual aquaintence hooked us up and we spoke by phone the
other day. He's 65 now, sounds pretty good. All he plays now is the
stock market. I think he lurks on here. He has a web site for stock tips
I believe its " Surfer Rod.com" He remembers that night 40 some yrs. ago
quite well.
Dick

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Outstanding, Dick

Great story, Dick.
It brings back many memories. One important one was the decision to not go to Dallas in those days to play pool. I had already heard about TJ Parker, and others who frequented the Cotton Palace from 3 finger Ronnie Sypher. He mentioned another lunatic who hung there who would stick guys up right in the pool room and go back and sit down. Very famous, Im sure you can recall him. Charley Boyd? That kinda sounds familiar. I knew Surfer Rod from his pre Hippie days in Miami in the 60s. He always played great 8 ball with the big cue ball. He even beat Ronnie Allen playing 1pkt on the bar table with the big ball once. He did have big balls in his shorts too, I ran into Rod in OK city, he was hustling those dangerous country bars with hair down to his ass, a full beard, and flowing robes and sandals. They called him "Pool playing Jesus." I did play in Houston at Le Cue and Amarillo, but I was scared of Dallas.

the Beard

Dick, I would like to put your story up on my "War Stories" page if that would be ok with you.

All others, check out my new, souped up website and blog. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
I have added a new page that will be updated regularly called, "War Stories, but not by Oliver North."

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
Great story, Dick.
It brings back many memories. One important one was the decision to not go to Dallas in those days to play pool. I had already heard about TJ Parker, and others who frequented the Cotton Palace from 3 finger Ronnie Sypher. He mentioned another lunatic who hung there who would stick guys up right in the pool room and go back and sit down. Very famous, Im sure you can recall him. Charley Boyd? That kinda sounds familiar. I knew Surfer Rod from his pre Hippie days in Miami in the 60s. He always played great 8 ball with the big cue ball. He even beat Ronnie Allen playing 1pkt on the bar table with the big ball once. He did have big balls in his shorts too, I ran into Rod in OK city, he was hustling those dangerous country bars with hair down to his ass, a full beard, and flowing robes and sandals. They called him "Pool playing Jesus." I did play in Houston at Le Cue and Amarillo, but I was scared of Dallas.

the Beard

Dick, I would like to put your story up on my "War Stories" page if that would be ok with you.

All others, check out my new, souped up website and blog. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
I have added a new page that will be updated regularly called, "War Stories, but not by Oliver North."
Hi Fred,
You're welcome to use the Surfer Rod story,I have about 20 more. I used
to "stalk" him. Wherever the Surfer surfaced,I was there. I think he and
Ray Humphrey (Houston) were the only two guys from that era that I
batted 1000% against. Talked to him,on
the phone yesterday, he's a pretty good guy. Puckett labled him a "Traveling
Pool Sucker" ,but then hey, he beat U.J.! I'm not to good at typing, feel free to give
me a call sometime. I'll PM you my #. And yes I knew Charlie Boyd up
close and personal!!!
Regards,
Dick

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
TapTapTap VERY enjoyable stuff. Thanks for sharing it. :)

The link at the end of the story would not work for me.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:

Jim, Thanks, I know there is a problem with the link to Geo. McGann.
Got it from my good friend Bill Porter (who posts here)
It is a REALLY fascinating read. Can you help Bill ???
Dick

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:

Jim, Try link on post #13, this thread....should work.(Thanks Charles!)
Dick

Last edited:

surferrod

Registered
A Bad Day In Dallas
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A Bad Day in Dallas

Shortly before the assasination of JFK, I left San Jose and moved to Dallas. It was an ominous beginning to the best 7 or 8 years of my life. Within a few hundred miles of where I settled in Arlington, there was all the action (soft and tough) any player could want. Wichita, O.K. City, Tulsa, Shreveport, and Houston were all less than a tank of gas away. With gas at thirty cents a gallon, my 1959 Buick rarely saw under 80 MPH getting to where the action was.

and James Pelfrey came in. James was one of George's pet gofers and a poorly educated, big, mean tush-hog. James would literally "kill" for George. He was a real loose cannon. As Rod is gathering up his stuff, George came out from behind the bar with the biggest handgun I'd ever seen. He put it right up to Rod's temple and said "You ain't quitting Mother F-----r!" I tried to calm George down and even told him I wouldn't play under those conditions. He's still got the gun two inches from poor Rod's head, he turned his wild eyes in my direction and said "Yes you will, Dick".

If anyone wants more information about what a dangerous character this George McGann was

See post # 13 (This thread) for link to Geo. Mc Gann. It is a fascinating read by an old friend...Johnny Hughes.

Hi Dick, nice story but you got some of it wrong! I never quit anyone playing 8-ball, winner or loser. It all plays every time. Think about it; if I was losing, why would we be marking the games up on the wire when I won. George ran out of money and pulled a gun on me instead of paying me the last game. Only after you pleaded with George that you couldn't get involved for the sake of your family, that George agreed to mark the games up until the bank opened. If I was still winning, he would make a bank withdrawal and pay me what he owed. However, instead of going to the bank, George kept doubling up betting funny money with out any cash or intentions of paying me. You got even firing "air" at my bank roll. At that time, (when even), George approached me and apologized saying that he was sorry he had to pull a gun on me and gave me the nod to quit. He also said he realized that he messed up and that I would probably give him any more action. Instead of quitting, that made me angry so I don't know why but I kept playing until I lost it all--as I usually do if someone could beat me. I might win every bet for 6 months and then lose it all in one bad game. I'm no quitter; ask anyone who knows me. Nice to hear from you though, Surfer Rod

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dick, nice story but you got some of it wrong! I never quit anyone playing 8-ball, winner or loser. It all plays every time. Think about it; if I was losing, why would we be marking the games up on the wire when I won. George ran out of money and pulled a gun on me instead of paying me the last game. Only after you pleaded with George that you couldn't get involved for the sake of your family, that George agreed to mark the games up until the bank opened. If I was still winning, he would make a bank withdrawal and pay me what he owed. However, instead of going to the bank, George kept doubling up betting funny money with out any cash or intentions of paying me. You got even firing "air" at my bank roll. At that time, (when even), George approached me and apologized saying that he was sorry he had to pull a gun on me and gave me the nod to quit. He also said he realized that he messed up and that I would probably give him any more action. Instead of quitting, that made me angry so I don't know why but I kept playing until I lost it all--as I usually do if someone could beat me. I might win every bet for 6 months and then lose it all in one bad game. I'm no quitter; ask anyone who knows me. Nice to hear from you though, Surfer Rod

Hi Rod, Certainly not too surprising, that two old scuffs would have different recollections of a wild night over 45 years ago.
I never accused you of being a quitter. I was not handling the money, you and George were, but I was aware of what was going on at the time, and I don't remember it quite that way. I remember coming back pretty good , when we switched to last pocket...And George pulled the gun when you tried to pull up still winner at that point. I felt terrible about the way the whole thing came down, and as I said, I thought you stood up well.

Give me a little credit though..You do remember us playing the very next night at the Airline Lounge don't you ? You broke at least one $1000 bill with me, and you did not have any fun at all...But it was still more fun than playing at Georges. We also had some good Bar Box One pocket sessions in Galveston. Houston, and Louisiana...:)

Good luck, and Hope you are well...

Dick

PS..You told me when we talked, that Puckett told you some years later, that he saved your life that night...I think Billy T. and I, did more in that spot than U.J. did... I did not like it when Billy T. left, early...He got pissed at George for acting like such a pr##k.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they ever wrote a book about Surfer Rod, no one would believe it! Rod was the real deal, he'd bet the ranch and take on anyone. I remember when I first laid eyes on him in Dayton in about 1965. He was driving an old Chevy and stopped into our neighborhood pool hall looking for action. No one wanted to play him, but since I was the best player in the joint I got elected. We played $2 9-Ball and when I lost ten bucks I quit. Some high roller huh! :)

There was a couple of tush hogs in that joint too, but Rod was all muscled up back then and full of confidence. No one messed with him and he took off looking for bigger action. I doubt that he remembers our little game a million years ago. We were both young 'un's then. Since then I've seen him many times and he was always betting with both hands! He never looked for the nuts, just the biggest gambler! There weren't many out there like Rod. EVERYONE knew him!

By the way, he was nearly unbeatable at Last Pocket Eight Ball on a bar table. That's the one part of this story by Dick that I question. How that all came down. I kind of lean toward Rod's version of things. He got "aired" out of his cash and when he got stuck, he got his nose open and went off. It could definitely happen that way. I've gotten mad and lost my money once or twice as well. Larry Lisciotti got me hot and embarrassed me. I should have just walked away, but I didn't and it cost me an extra $200. And that was in the 60's when $200 was a lot of money.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I doubt that he remembers our little game a million years ago. We were both young 'un's then. We played $2 9-Ball and when I lost ten bucks I quit. Some high roller huh! :)

Since then I've seen him many times and he was always betting with both hands! He never looked for the nuts, just the biggest gambler! There weren't many out there like Rod. EVERYONE knew him!

By the way, he was nearly unbeatable at Last Pocket Eight Ball on a bar table. That's the one part of this story by Dick that I question. How that all came down. I kind of lean toward Rod's version of things. He got "aired" out of his cash and when he got stuck, he got his nose open and went off. It could definitely happen that way. I've gotten mad and lost my money once or twice as well. Larry Lisciotti got me hot and embarrassed me. I should have just walked away, but I didn't and it cost me an extra $200. And that was in the 60's when $200 was a lot of money.

I had hoped Rod would have a chance to respond to my last post...But thanks for your opinion Jay. I don't need a public pissing contest, so I sent you a PM...
I happen to like Rod, so I saw no reason to point out several things you were NOT privvy too... You do know a lot of people in this business, but obviously (to me now)...some better than others..:rolleyes:

PS..I would bet Rod "remembers" everytime WE played...:D (I PM'd you his phone number)

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
George was bad. TJ was tough.
Country Smith was just plain crazy and dangerous.

He and I were in the Playboy club (not the nice one) in Houston and while I was playing he got in a fight for no reason. He beat the guy near to death and bit off his ear and spit it out on the bar.

Another time he got me out of a bar down on the docks with a shotgun.
He drew down on the whole place and said "come on Billy we're going."
I was very glad to see him at the time.

Bill Stroud