💡💡I think $300-500 is the MOST that should be spent on a cue!!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Basically a shortstop, a road player, or a pro that shoots with a $1500 cue would not decrease in skill level if the played with a cue for less!!

That's true. Spending $1500 on a cue is just stupid since the first real performance pop comes at the $5,000 level, level 6 minimum 51-75 inlays. But a real pool player needs at least a $10,000 level 8, 126 or more inlays. With that many inlays you can do damn near anything.

My cue has 150 inlays. I don't even have to go to the pool hall to get action. They wait for me on my front porch.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why is it that guys with no feedback are always
posting threads to pee on our parade?

who really cares if a guy likes cheap cues or knocks
nice cues because he can't afford one

i like the guys who see the beautiful cues and post that
they would like one but can't afford one now

i rememeber setting aside $19 a month for about a year
to get my first Balabushka.

Jackpot could tell you how ugly it was,I almost cried,

George told me to sell it and he would make me a hoppe style

I loved the cue,I sold the first one and made $30 profit.

I also remember buying my first south west cue for $275,
little did I know how great the cues were or how much I would
learn to love Jerry and Laurie Franklin.

I did cry when Jerry passed away.

today I still talk to Laurie every week or so
she makes me a couple of cues every year

Do I play with them?
I don''t because they are so popular I have people buying them all the time

I am 73 now and I enjoy cues,i love buying the traditional one
i always liked and i like the Larry Vigus cues that play so good

It is fun for me to get a new cue in the mail

It makes me feel like i did on Christmas morning
when I was a little kid,I remember having presents
and the thrill of ripping that box open

Now I am not stupid enough to think I can beat Efren
if I get an expensive cue,I don't even agree with the idea
that i have to spend more to get a good playing cue

I bought a $300 Mc Dermott a few weeks ago and it played swell

There are many reasons to buy a nice cue.if you can't think of one
forget it,but don't expect all of us to agree

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see a poll in 200$ increments on what players primary shooting cue cost! Not non-playing collector cues.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I am playing with a cue currently in the $2500-$3000 range and it is one of the best cues I have owned. Before that I played with a $300 Falcon cue which played very nicely too. I have played with cues from $30-$3000 and there is a difference for sure as you go up in price. Balance, hit, feel, personal specs, inlays, materials, design and so on. Look good and feel good they say well maybe if the cue looks and feels good you will play good. :grin-square:

Attachments

• 996697_1293945600631952_4911098000258522647_n.jpg
    996697_1293945600631952_4911098000258522647_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 441

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are much more expensive cues with ivory inlays, rare wood and all sorts of bells and whistles. I have shot with a few (not mine but people have let me "try it out". MY POINT IN THIS THREAD IS THAT ONCE A PLAYER HAS DEVELOPED HIS/HER SKILLS THEN ANYTHING OVER $300-500 is overkill. Basically a shortstop, a road player, a pro or whoever that shoots with a $1500 cue would not decrease in skill level if the played with a cue for less, provided that the cue is decent and STRAIGHT!!

"ONCE A PLAYER HAS DEVELOPED HIS/HER SKILLS THEN ANYTHING OVER $300-500 is overkill"

Why the $300-500 level? I mean really, why that number?
What does a $300 level bring that a $150 does not?
Put a nice tip on a $80 cue and lets just boycott anything over that level! I mean there is just too much money in the billiard industry anyhow...those fatkats :rolleyes:

Or lets just pick another arbitrary number and use that one.

Who give a crap what another player spends on their equipment!?
The more money the better I say! Help grow the industry, or get out of the way.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always said $500.00 will buy you a good hit, anything over that is eye candy for the owner. Plus I really like my $3,000.00 Olivier.---Smitty

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cues are awesome, we don't buy them because they make us shoot better

we buy them because they're awesome

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have cues that run a pretty wide range of value from production cues to the high end. I recently purchased a cue for about $150.00 from an interesting cuemaker. A link to his website is below;

http://www.cuesdirectly.com

What I received was a very good hitting, well made cue for less than I have ever spent. I'm not a fan of the shaft taper but he said he can and will do a custom shaft(s).

For anyone on a budget that wants a good cue contact Dave through the website. Super nice guy, great service, great value.

I learned about Dave while watching a match on you tube. One of the announcers said he uses Dave's cues and likes them a lot.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are much more expensive cues with ivory inlays, rare wood and all sorts of bells and whistles. I have shot with a few (not mine but people have let me "try it out". MY POINT IN THIS THREAD IS THAT ONCE A PLAYER HAS DEVELOPED HIS/HER SKILLS THEN ANYTHING OVER $300-500 is overkill. Basically a shortstop, a road player, a pro or whoever that shoots with a $1500 cue would not decrease in skill level if the played with a cue for less, provided that the cue is decent and STRAIGHT!!

Did the Russians force you to say this?

Or,

Did they only hack your account?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Personally, I like to look good, when I am playing good pool.

Quite frankly I have cues from 700 to 5000 dollars, and I will tell you that the best playing cue I own is the 5G Scruggs.

It is the individual's choice to spend money on what they want, if it makes you feel better, and trust me a lot of this game is played between the space between your ears...the more power to you.

Have you rewritten your manifesto yet?

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think you are absolutely the first person who has ever started a post with this subject.

Btw, you're incredibly wrong. My $39.95 cue (McDermott-designed, Chinese-made Nitro Cue) is as good a performance cue as anything out there. But here's a shocker: we spend money because we want to. One day, people who make these threads might understand that, but I won't hold my breath

Freddie <~~~ bring back John Disque!

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts on cue pricing...any mechanic can go to harbor freight and buy a throw away tool set every four months...but most real mechanics rock out a bad ass set of Snap-ons that last forever...my last cue was in the 750 range and I felt I under spent just a bit..it's a buyers decision on what to spend...and those that are discerning know whether they got their money's worth or not.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Happiness is a CueTec...I mean Schmelke...I mean Predator....or could be a Schon bumperless Hoppe or is it a REVO.
Let's up the conversation....what is the most that should be spent on a pool table.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One of the most clumsy trolls I have seen lately.

Dale

05carbondrz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$300-$500 is the down payment on custom cues.......and what qualifications do you possess that enables you to proclaim that's the most
a cue is worth........never tell another man what the worth of his labor is and if it's too much, then find someone else who will do it for that
price......or learn more about the craft of pool cues before you speak of that which you know very little about.

Ignorance is bliss but so is everyone's right to their opinion, even as stupid as it sounds to those that have been enlightened about cue-making.
The next thing I expect to read is cue weight is over-rated & weight doesn't matter or the weight of a shaft doesn't matter or all cue joints are the same.

People are compensated for their labor and their final wares.........I don't think I should ever pay more than $400 for a pistol.........Now go try and buy
a Les Kimber .45 auto for that price. But aren't all guns alike and basically do the same thing? Aren't all pool cues all alike and basically do the same thing?

The answer is NO and yes. No, all pool cues are not the same and yes, they function the same way, i.e., move the cue ball. But golly gee, show me any
$500 cue made that plays like a Szam..Manzino, Searing, Hercek, etc. Here's the essential point.......a cue does not make you into a better player, however,
a better player usually knows what they want in a cue. If you want a cue made the way you prefer it to be, even a Merry Widow, it can and usually does
cost more than $300-$500. Spend whatever you can afford on a cue and get it made the way you like.......It's a surefire recipe for cue happiness & better play.

Who is Les Kimber? I think You mixed Les Baer with Kimber there....:) If You can't already tell,Guns are my Passion.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I think $300-500 is the MOST that should be spent on a cue!!"

In that case I wouldn't go over say 300 to 500 max, if I were you.

Thanks for telling us about this.