Scotch doubles fail

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had guys playing scotch doubles happily giving away money all night.Get our turn to play sets.We have these guys dead and my partner becomes a binge drinker and ended up down by the end of the night after being up pretty good.Set my guy up with great angles and he takes a completly different shot or just forgets everything about pool and left me nothing.Watched him get dumber every 10 minutes until I'm teamed with an APA 3.Never again.

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had guys playing scotch doubles happily giving away money all night.Get our turn to play sets.We have these guys dead and my partner becomes a binge drinker and ended up down by the end of the night after being up pretty good.Set my guy up with great angles and he takes a completly different shot or just forgets everything about pool and left me nothing.Watched him get dumber every 10 minutes until I'm teamed with an APA 3.Never again.

Classic Scotch Doubles Hustle

JC

Coos Cues

I consider it an extra challenge playing scotch with a weak partner. Not only do you have to get shape for them but you have to play safe on all other options at the same time. Force even the worst decision makers to shoot the right shot. The ultimate two way shot practice.:smile:

JC

PS: your partner didn't "become" a binge drinker. That's who he was already.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't you talk to your partner in scotch doubles? That seems to be the most prevalent rule. When I play with weaker players I tell them what to shoot on the way away from the table. Shoot the X and leave me the Y...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't you talk to your partner in scotch doubles? That seems to be the most prevalent rule. When I play with weaker players I tell them what to shoot on the way away from the table. Shoot the X and leave me the Y...

In an informal match such as the op's I guess where or not coaching would be left up to.both parties agreeing to whatever terms.

I play apa.scotch doubles and coaching is allowed one time per rack.

Last night was the start of a new session . Our 4 dropped out and all we could find to replace him was a girl who is a 3. My other longtime teams are a 5/5 and a 5/6. Oh btw I am a 5/6.

So last night we had the pleasure of facing the team that just got back from winning the 8 ball doubles national championship in Vegas.

I partnered with the new 3...who I had never played with before and we faced the only 2 players they had there ....which was a 6 and a 5. Now rules state that you can only have a maximum handicap of 10.in the doubles and 11 total.in both singles.

We could have made them forfeit the doubles but elected to let them play on the name of good sportsmanship.

Being allowed only one timeout per rack I try to use it wisely. In the first rack l called a time out when we had just 3 balls left and she started to shoot the wrong ball. She obviously was put off I called a time out and missed an easy hanger leaving our opponents easy on their last ball.

I did not bother calling any more time outs and we wound up.losing. On the bright side I beat their 6 by 4-2 in a 4-5 race in my singles match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I ever lost my cash because my partner was getting wasted...
...I would consider it time to join Gamblers Anonymous.

..and that SOB should join AA

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be considered coaching if you wore a seven colored shirt, and placed your hand or the tip of the cue on the color ball you want your partner to shoot? Discretely, of course.