First Cue Decision $150-$250

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all.

I've read countless threads on here (mostly older), reddit, watched youtube videos, read articles, reviews, etc.

I've spent probably 5 hours researching what cue to buy and I'm not getting much closer to making a decision, so was hoping to get some fresh opinions.

I'm new to the game, just got a 7' Brunswick table in my home a few weeks ago after just moving to this house in October. I've played on the table daily and I have 4 kids under 10, so I see myself sticking with playing long-term --- I don't see myself joining leagues or going out of the house to play, but could see having people over on a biweekly or monthly basis to play.

Current equipment is basically just house cues I bought from pooldawg to have something playable:

18oz Action Cue x2 (one piece)
18oz 42" Action Cue

Also grabbed one of the training cues with a ball attached so the kids actually present a good challenge, and usually beat me at this point.

I'd like to keep the total under $250ish.

Here is what I've narrowed things down to:

-Cheaper Lucky/Mcdermott/Players cue and be on the lookout for an LD shaft for around $150 (not sure if OB still does blemish sales?)
-Schmelke and don't worry about LD, or potentially an LD shaft down the road
-Players Pure X - apparently sort of fake LD?

My suggestion, and just a suggestion, in general is this:

If you EVER plan on getting an LD shaft, make this your next purchase. It will have a learning curve to go with it. I suggest just doing it now to get it over with. Otherwise, down the road, you'll get better at your game, and you'll think "Gee. Maybe it's time for the next step up". You'll get an LD shaft, you'll play like crap, and you'll give up on it. Depending on how much you play, it can take a couple of weeks or even several months to get used to the difference. Longer if you switch back and forth.
Either do it now, or don't bother.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look

McFly - please check out the cues below and maybe pick out maybe 3 that you'd like to try, I'd select a mix of characteristics to see what you like: different wrap materials, pin/joint types, cue weight/balance point, LD vs traditional maple, shaft taper/diameter, etc.

Please send me a PM/private message with your address (if you are in the U.S.) and I'll ship to you. Take a chance to play with them and then keep your favorite, then just send the other two back.

from Left to Right (they are all 29" shafts, sans the McDermott's 31" G-core)
Pure-X, McDermott, Players, Lucasi Hybrid, Meucci, Players, Viking, Players, Pechauer, Players, Viking, Pure-X

QeuyIbtl.jpg

kPvqXSDl.jpg

fQBBTUTl.jpg

jZwLv79l.jpg

I will link to a previous post that had all the model info details.

Please ask any questions and let me know!

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Copied from my post back in July...

MY CUES (arranged by brand from left to right)

5vtqkQ8h.jpg

Players
C9921 - stock maple 13mm (re-tipped myself with an Elkmaster)
G-2280 - w/ 30" S-tuned Z3 shaft 11.75mm pro taper from Seyberts
G3395 - stock maple turned down to 12.5mm
G-1002 - stock maple 13mm (re-tipped myself with a Triangle)

Predator
SPORT2ICENW - it was the lowest price to try a Z3 on their butt. Later added the $2 blue rubber wrap which looks way better, imo

McDermott
SL04 - w/ iPro Slim shaft 12mm (HATE the Navigator tip, worst I've used to-date)
G513 - w/ G-Core shaft turned down to 12.25mm
G204 - "special order" w/ 31" G-core turned down to 12.5mm (selected the yellow stain and red leather wrap)

Meucci
SWBB2 - Skyler Woodward model 2 (changed to Meucci Ultimate Weapon 11.65mm shaft from the 13mm Bar Box Pro it comes stock with)
JS-S - Jayson Shaw base model at Seyberts w/ Meucci Pro 12.5mm (at under $430, this might be the "Best Buy" award. Love these Meuccis man

Cuetec
'96-97 Earl Strickland - my very first cue! The entire shaft, forearm and butt was all black with a carbon-fiber design...looked great in the case, but played terribly due to the graphic laminate that started peeling and made it impossible to use in humid conditions. My brother found it in original case when he moved, and thankfully Cuetec still uses the same joint pins..so I bought a new Cuetec model w/ R360 and then swapped the shaft over. Now looks and plays great, and has become my cousin's favorite stick to use.

Mezz
Axi-156 - w/ WX900 12mm shaft upgrade (probably my favorite shaft), Wavy Joint
EC7-R1 - my first Mezz, United Joint, upgraded to EX Pro shaft 12.5mm, Zan soft tip
Axi-155 - w/ WX900 12mm shaft, Wavy Joint, Kamui Brown-Med

JOSS
JOS44 - w/ stock maple shaft 13mm w/ Triangle standard tip (such smooth action, simple but elegant design...becoming a favorite of mine, the deflection isn't as much as people think compared to LD shaft)

Schon
LTD2201L - Schon Ltd series (one of 25 I think?), upgraded to 30" Jacoby Ultra Super Pro w/ stock Tiger Everest tip
SP1909 - Schon SP series, upgraded to 30" OB Pro+ 'custom' shaft w/ Zan-Med tip

Viking
A291 - w/ stock Vikore 13mm shaft and Tiger Everest tip (first 'good' cue purchase I made back in Oct '16...this was for my brother at 18 oz)
A416 - w/ stock Vikore 13mm shaft and Tiger Everest tip (first 'good' cue purchase I made back in Oct '16...this was for myself at 19 oz)
A508 - w/ Vikore shaft turned down to 12.25mm, upgrade to Kamui Black-Med tip, changed linen wrap to be white w/ double black spec

Lucasi
LZC29 - Lucasi Custom w/ upgrade to 11.75mm OB Pro+ shaft, changed to a Tiger Sniper tip that I love
LHF10 - Lucasi Hybrid w/ sport grip and stock Zero Flex Slim 11.75mm shaft, tip upgrade to a Kamui Black Clear-Med

Pure-X (Players)
HXTE2 (#173 on butt) - currently w/ HXT Classic turned down to 12.25mm w/ Kamui Black-Soft tip
HXT66 (#166 on butt) - w/ shaft upgrade to BD Cues' SS360/P shaft, 11.75mm w/ Ultraskin-Med tip
HXT91 (#159 on butt) - currently w/ stock HXT Classic 12.75mm w/ Kamui Black-Soft tip

extra shafts to swap if needed
Mezz WX700 - United Joint w/ stock Kamui Brown-Soft tip 12.5mm
Mezz WX900 - United Joint w/ stock Kamui Brown-Soft tip 12mm (have a wrapless Mezz Power Break 2 in blue w/ Deep Impact 2 shaft currently in transit that is only 54" long total...going to try this short butt w/ WX900 and see if it feels similar to my Snooker cue with a bigger tip--as I kick ass with my entry-level Snooker cue on pool tables)
Lucasi Custom - Uni-loc Quick, Zero Flex Solid 12.75mm
Lucasi - Uni-loc Quick, Air Hog jump cue, handle and shaft, 14mm Phenolic tip
Schon - 5/16x14, standard/stock maple shafts at 13mm (x2)
Pure X - 5/16x18, HXT Skinny shafts 11.75mm (x2)
Pure X - 5/16x18, HXT Classic shaft 12.75mm
Pure X - 3/8x10, HXT Classic shaft 12.75mm
Pure X - Turbo lock, for PureX Break/Jump cue 14mm Phenolic tip

Funny that my favorite current shooter/looker is the Joss 44 with the standard 13mm maple shaft and dollar tip. You can see I have a preference for smaller diameter tips overall (my 9.5mm tipped Riley Snooker cue plays amazingly well for pool), but it's fun to play with everything! I would get bored just using the same cue at home, even if it's the best way to stay consistent.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My suggestion, and just a suggestion, in general is this:

If you EVER plan on getting an LD shaft, make this your next purchase. It will have a learning curve to go with it. I suggest just doing it now to get it over with. Otherwise, down the road, you'll get better at your game, and you'll think "Gee. Maybe it's time for the next step up". You'll get an LD shaft, you'll play like crap, and you'll give up on it. Depending on how much you play, it can take a couple of weeks or even several months to get used to the difference. Longer if you switch back and forth.
Either do it now, or don't bother.

I agree, get a low-deflection shaft for your first cue. If you start with one, you won’t need to make a transition later. Those Pure X cues have moderately low deflection shafts and you can get a nice-looking one for under $200.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a predator roadline with the older 314-2 shaft for under $250. I like it.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For your needs, there's nothing in the $250 range that you can't accomplish in the $125-$175 range. No need to fit a special LD shaft to your stick, the money spent on it won't matter enough and could be better applied elsewhere (a 2nd starter stick for example). Any basic Schmelke, McDermott, or other brand should do you just fine as other posters have mentioned. What would be nice for you is if you live near a room that would allow you to demo sticks so you can pick one that feels appealing to you. Good Luck.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cadillac J, I’ve sent you a msg, did you get it? I’m interested in one of your cues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry for delay

McFly, I apologize that I wasn't able to ship out last week like I originally planned.

Packaging everything up now and plan to go to UPS store tomorrow afternoon.

Four cues are included with their stock shafts (2 traditional maple and 2 came with LD shafts that are HXT 12.75mm)...I've also included an extra LD shaft (11.75mm HXT skinny) that you'll notice immediately with the shorter ferrule for you to try.

There is a variety of grips: wrapless, Irish linen, embossed leather and stacked leather, layered vs non-layered tips, different weights and balance points. I think you'll be able to find what works best for you after trying them all out. They all have the same 5/16x18 joint, so you can use any shaft on any butt.

Give them each a shot over some time -- then once you select the cue you want to keep, along with the extra LD skinny shaft -- just let me know and then you can ship the remaining back to me using the same box and packing materials.

7ucMDZyl.jpg

You'll have to give us some feedback once you get some time to experience.

mcfly1955

Registered
McFly, I apologize that I wasn't able to ship out last week like I originally planned.

Packaging everything up now and plan to go to UPS store tomorrow afternoon.

Four cues are included with their stock shafts (2 traditional maple and 2 came with LD shafts that are HXT 12.75mm)...I've also included an extra LD shaft (11.75mm HXT skinny) that you'll notice immediately with the shorter ferrule for you to try.

There is a variety of grips: wrapless, Irish linen, embossed leather and stacked leather, layered vs non-layered tips, different weights and balance points. I think you'll be able to find what works best for you after trying them all out. They all have the same 5/16x18 joint, so you can use any shaft on any butt.

Give them each a shot over some time -- then once you select the cue you want to keep, along with the extra LD skinny shaft -- just let me know and then you can ship the remaining back to me using the same box and packing materials.

7ucMDZyl.jpg

You'll have to give us some feedback once you get some time to experience.

You are the man - again, really appreciate it.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players, Schmelke, McDermott, Cuetec all for under $150 and all play great, and are well made. It ain't about the cue. Save your money, have fun.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players, Schmelke, McDermott, Cuetec all for under $150 and all play great, and are well made. It ain't about the cue. Save your money, have fun.

The brands are Players and Pure-X, two chosen by McFresh himself, and the other two I thought balanced out for a good representation of things to sample.

Cue is a gift...just pay it forward to someone some time. :cool:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Hi all.

I've read countless threads on here (mostly older), reddit, watched youtube videos, read articles, reviews, etc.

I've spent probably 5 hours researching what cue to buy and I'm not getting much closer to making a decision, so was hoping to get some fresh opinions.

I'm new to the game, just got a 7' Brunswick table in my home a few weeks ago after just moving to this house in October. I've played on the table daily and I have 4 kids under 10, so I see myself sticking with playing long-term --- I don't see myself joining leagues or going out of the house to play, but could see having people over on a biweekly or monthly basis to play.

Current equipment is basically just house cues I bought from pooldawg to have something playable:

18oz Action Cue x2 (one piece)
18oz 42" Action Cue

Also grabbed one of the training cues with a ball attached so the kids actually present a good challenge, and usually beat me at this point.

I'd like to keep the total under $250ish.

Here is what I've narrowed things down to:

-Cheaper Lucky/Mcdermott/Players cue and be on the lookout for an LD shaft for around $150 (not sure if OB still does blemish sales?)
-Schmelke and don't worry about LD, or potentially an LD shaft down the road
-Players Pure X - apparently sort of fake LD?

I’d have to ask what’s wrong with your Action cue? I mean if you’re happy with it and all,
but I understand when you’ve decided it’s time for a new cue. Although I’d have to agree
with everyone that says look for an upgraded shaft. What I’d add to that is to start to find
out what you might like to play with, look at the different tapers and find what is most
comfortable to you. Something will feel right, and experiment with some some different
tips, you will probably notice a difference in the density and you’ll find what you like. But
if you are set on finding a new cue it’s probably easiest to and not a bad choice to look at
the McDermott Luckys. You can go with one of their upgraded shafts and they’re not bad
looking, lots to choose from.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Any Viking with the Vikore shaft will be a pretty good cue for a few hundred bucks. I have cues with all the big name low deflection shafts and usually grab the Vikore.
6cc983cdb6c10fc92ebe8ecc8c14025f.jpg

Sent from the future.