7' Furniture Style Brunswick vs. Valley

mcfly1955

Registered
Hi all,

I moved near the end of last year and the new house had room for a pool table, so I researched, watched FB marketplace for a few weeks, and ended up with a 7' Oak 3 piece (3/4" slate) furniture style. I went with it because I saw a lot of "go with Brunswick/Olhausen" when researching. The 7 footer due to columns in the basement. I don't really love the look of the table, but it was the only thing that popped up that met my criteria after watching for a bit...I should've been more patient.

I have 5 young kids, and I kind of wish I would've went with a more commercial style table. I'm particular and the kids know to be careful around the table already, but just looking ahead I know Valleys are built for abuse.

I'd love to get a 7' Diamond, but I'm not sure I'd be able to justify the $5,000+ investment.

I had new superspeed cushions and cloth installed on the Brunswick. It plays well, has large pockets...

If I had the opportunity to switch it up (trade in and buy) a reworked 7' Valley with penguin cushions, simonis cloth, tighter pockets, etc...Do you think the upgrade would be worth throwing out an additional $800 or so? I don't have a lot of experience on Valley tables, but they seem well built, I like the look, like the ball return, I like that they seem to be easier to work on yourself...Research has also shown me to worry about sagging or potential issues with the 1 piece slate on these.

I know I'd be eating a lot of the moving/upgrading expense on the furniture table, but lesson learned on patience. When I was looking there was hardly anything available, now there are tables everywhere.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I moved near the end of last year and the new house had room for a pool table, so I researched, watched FB marketplace for a few weeks, and ended up with a 7' Oak 3 piece (3/4" slate) furniture style. I went with it because I saw a lot of "go with Brunswick/Olhausen" when researching. The 7 footer due to columns in the basement. I don't really love the look of the table, but it was the only thing that popped up that met my criteria after watching for a bit...I should've been more patient.

I have 5 young kids, and I kind of wish I would've went with a more commercial style table. I'm particular and the kids know to be careful around the table already, but just looking ahead I know Valleys are built for abuse.

I'd love to get a 7' Diamond, but I'm not sure I'd be able to justify the $5,000+ investment.

I had new superspeed cushions and cloth installed on the Brunswick. It plays well, has large pockets...

If I had the opportunity to switch it up (trade in and buy) a reworked 7' Valley with penguin cushions, simonis cloth, tighter pockets, etc...Do you think the upgrade would be worth throwing out an additional $800 or so? I don't have a lot of experience on Valley tables, but they seem well built, I like the look, like the ball return, I like that they seem to be easier to work on yourself...Research has also shown me to worry about sagging or potential issues with the 1 piece slate on these.

I know I'd be eating a lot of the moving/upgrading expense on the furniture table, but lesson learned on patience. When I was looking there was hardly anything available, now there are tables everywhere.
If i read this right changing tables would be mostly for smaller pockets. If its the $800 you say i'd do it. Sell what you got and get what you want.

mcfly1955

Registered
If i read this right changing tables would be mostly for smaller pockets. If its the $800 you say i'd do it. Sell what you got and get what you want.

Yeah, partially.

Smaller pockets, commercial look/build...ball return....not having an oak wood table...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, partially.

Smaller pockets, commercial look/build...ball return....not having an oak wood table...
Why the need for such a durable piece? Kids play football in same room? Just tell 'em not to bang the damn table. ;)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Why the need for such a durable piece? Kids play football in same room? Just tell 'em not to bang the damn table. ;)

Yeah, that will work. Might as well tell them to respect the table when not under adult supervision and to follow proper pool etiquette and clean the table when they finish playing. :thumbup:

mcfly1955

Registered
No real concerns with kids banging on it -- the oldest is 9 and it's not a finished basement, so pool is the only reason to go down there for the kids, and they don't go down there without me at this point.

I guess it's mostly that if I could go back in time I would have probably started with a valley instead of what I bought. What I have really seems like a decent table, but I've just continued to monitor FB Market/CL and regret my decision mostly from a cosmetic standpoint I guess.

This post is making sure 5 people didn't jump in and say "no way I'd give up a 3 piece brunswick table for a Valley -- Valleys suck!".

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that will work. Might as well tell them to respect the table when not under adult supervision and to follow proper pool etiquette and clean the table when they finish playing. :thumbup:
That's EXACTLY what i'd do. If they didn't follow the rules it would be the LAST time they ever got near the table. I was raised by WW2 vets and putting up with kid's shit ain't part of the program.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Just convince them there are monsters in the basement.