AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have 2 originals from the first brochure a
MO-1(no wrap) & MO-1 1/2 (w/wrap) and
would match them against any cue as they
play great. I play today with a Tascarella
but would not hesitate to pick up one of the
meucci's to play with at SBE.:D

Meucci probably got more people started with collecting than any other brand. They were the cue equivalent of baseball cards. There was always a pretty good market for the old "originals" designs. I have a lot of old Meucci literature, the designs were endless.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to laugh at the folks that say Corey plays with a Meucci or this other player plays with a Meucci…

Listen stupid, they are playing with a Meucci not because it is their favorite cue, they are being PAID to play with it....

Geez, some folks are so dumb.

Earl Strickland played with a Cuetech for YEARS, rumor had it that the shaft wasn't a Cuetech shaft, but I actually heard him say he was so good he beat everyone playing with a POS cue. (Earl lost his contract with Cuetech)

Ken

I don't think its a stupid statement as it proves the old saying that its the indian and not the arrow.

Some people might say its stupid to spend the amount of money you have on cues. None of those cues will make you a better player than a decent production cue.

When i joined this forum i bought a couple custom cues to see what all the hype was about. They did not make me play any better than a players cue i had laying in the closet. I decided to sell them....didnt really need the money but did put the money to better use to purchase other items.

I just sold a 1400.00 predator blak 4 that was 10 years old for 900.00 dollars and i only had 700.00 in it due to buying a new revo shaft for it. I went back to playing with a meucci i bought used for 200.00 5 years ago and am playing as good as i ever have. The meucci looks like new except for one small chip that was on it when i bought it. Oh yea...everything is straight and finish is darn near flawless except for that chip which is not very noticible. Its going to be my last cue as i am through buying and trading cues. ...for the forseeable future .;)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think its a stupid statement as it proves the old saying that its the indian and not the arrow.

Some people might say its stupid to spend the amount of money you have on cues. None of those cues will make you a better player than a decent production cue.

When i joined this forum i bought a couple custom cues to see what all the hype was about. They did not make me play any better than a players cue i had laying in the closet. I decided to sell them....didnt really need the money but did put the money to better use to purchase other items.

I just sold a 1400.00 predator blak 4 that was 10 years old for 900.00 dollars and i only had 700.00 in it due to buying a new revo shaft for it. I went back to playing with a meucci i bought used for 200.00 5 years ago and am playing as good as i ever have. The meucci looks like new except for one small chip that was on it when i bought it. Oh yea...everything is straight and finish is darn near flawless except for that chip which is not very noticible. Its going to be my last cue as i am through buying and trading cues. ...for the forseeable future .;)

I didn't pay for them I am sponsored …...:rolleyes:

Ken

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob should try to hire Ryan (rat cues) to run meucci
and turn that bad rep around. Bob is getting up there
and Ryan is a young stud at cue making.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I have to laugh at the folks that say Corey plays with a Meucci or this other player plays with a Meucci…

Listen stupid, they are playing with a Meucci not because it is their favorite cue, they are being PAID to play with it....

Earl Strickland played with a Cuetech for YEARS, rumor had it that the shaft wasn't a Cuetech shaft, but I actually heard him say he was so good he beat everyone playing with a POS cue. (Earl lost his contract with Cuetech)

Ken

Gee, "stupid"...ok, nanny boo boo....jeezus, juvenile much?

Of course he's sponsored. But do you think he would play with that cue if it didn't work well enough for him? Of course not.

And yes, at their level, most of them can probably play with whatever you put in their hands, and they'll do well enough. I still maintain that if the product doesn't work well enough for them, they would find another sponsor, quickly.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Relax bro.

Nobody said they played because it's their favorite.

The actual quote said they were sponsored.

LOL

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci

MEEEWwwwCHIII!

Seems like this discussion gets resurrected ever so often.

Over production with bad quality control. They some how weathered that and are still in business.
They seemed to have trouble getting a good work force and/or training them.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool in my teens so well over 20 years and I remember most people played and bragged about their Meucci. They were sponsoring tournaments and people swear by them. Over the span of years I hear of them less and less almost to the point where the younger players never heard of them. Did they scale back? At one time they were what Predator is now.

My shooting partner stopped playing just around the same time I stopped but after talking to him last night....he says he still had his Meucci, which he let me borrow countless times when I didn’t bring my cue. As I can remember they played pretty well. A lot of action and whippy.

I looked on their site and they’re still making cues it seems but I hardly see anyone playing with one today. Thoughts?

For example...Dale Perry’s were hot too and I don’t think they followed his business model.
Nothing Have 5 Meucci cues with the pro shaft, LOVE THEM

DJ66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an original "star of David", "giant killer", and rose cue that I bought for my gf at the time (this was late 90's).I sent the rose in to meucci to be refinished, but after 6 months, nothing. I called, gave them my info, nothing. tracking (at the time) showed it was delivered, sent the info to them, nothing. All they could say was "we never received it." I could provide proof of delivery, but they stuck to their guns.
I no longer have my originals: the giant killer was loaned out, never to return, and the "star" cue was stolen. The rose never turned up. All email traffic was lost when my webtv gave up and I lost my account. I tried to recover it through outlook, but it's completely gone...
I purchased a 21st century cue simply to get Bob's autograph, but I will never buy another meucci product again.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun...Before you start calling names, I would have thought that you were more intelligent. Cue companies, except in VERY rare circumstances (SVB, Allison Fisher, Earl Strickland) do not pay players, and the pros are not paid to use a cuemaker's cue. They may pay some entry fees; possibly some small travel expenses, but as far as getting a salary...no way. In professional pool "sponsorship" means "here, play with this cue for free"!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Ken

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

No but you're wrong, there are few sponsorships that pay money for their pro's in the game of pool but Meucci isn't one of them, I know pro's who got into Meucci then broke the contract months later because they are not getting what they had expected.

Bob doesn't pay their pro's money, he is happy to provide them with equipments but thats all there's to it, he says to the players, you can represent Meucci and ill build you any cue/shaft you need, he sponsor them in that way.

So are they playing with a Meucci because they are getting paid? No, they probably like the brand and are also benefitting from free cues from their good quality cues.

Oh and I have a Meucci, it plays better than 90% of the other brands, to me the pro shaft is better than all Predator shafts, it is preference but thats how I feel.

Budget Billiard

Registered
One of the big issues was when Bob kinda stepped back and allowed his daughter and son-in-law to run the place. Quality during that period really was really a hit-or-miss proposition. The daughter left to run Budget Billiards selling cues, mostly Meucci's. Bob got back in the shop and things got better. I've seen a few cues made in last few years that have been pretty well made and the Pro shaft is very good. They still sell a lot of cues and most owners are quite loyal to the brand.
I'm sorry to post to a very old thread, but I feel I should have responded to this 3 years ago. Garczar has no idea what he is talking about. Neither my husband nor I ever "ran the place". In addition, the company's decline (both literally and figuratively) began in the late-90s, after my husband and I stepped back due to the illness and death of one of my children. So, the exact reverse of what you mentioned is true. You are confusing the situation with Perry McChesney, my brother-in-law, who convinced Bob to move an hour and a half south, closer to his Senatobia Ranch, resulting in the loss of most of his experienced workers. Previously, I had worked in sales at Meucci, but it was during our absence from the sales department that the company suffered quality issues and faced bankruptcy. My husband and I repurchased the equipment from the IRS and funded the building to put my father back into business in 2006. Even then, I never ran the place.

Just to set the record straight,

Julia Meucci Patrick

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an ebony butt with no rings dings or anything else for 80 dollars in 1968. It was a great cue, I have shot balls with a bunch of them including one that cost over 1000 dollars 25 years ago. My opinion ,No thanks. I bought a Tad made around 1970 in 1973 that was the best cue I ever owned , I had never heard of Tad and thought 40 dollars for a plain cue and cheap case was too much lol. I never thought about it at the time but it was probably a stolen cue . Fittingly I guess ,it was stolen from me , twice!

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Meucci Cues will forever have a place in pool history and in my heart. Despite what Garzar says, I think Meuccis deliver the most cue ball "action" of all cues I have tried. In truth, I find they are sometimes too hot for my limited ability to handle. I fully recognize that it "is not the arrow", but I will always remember Cliff, while attempting to secure a replacement cue, saying "anything, so long as it is a Meucci".

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good friend of mine won billy thorps new line cue he won in one of Billys raffles. I hit some balls with it and a straight shooter with outstanding hit and feel. Recommend trying one for yourselves.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci Cues will forever have a place in pool history and in my heart. Despite what Garzar says, I think Meuccis deliver the most cue ball "action" of all cues I have tried. In truth, I find they are sometimes too hot for my limited ability to handle. I fully recognize that it "is not the arrow", but I will always remember Cliff, while attempting to secure a replacement cue, saying "anything, so long as it is a Meucci".

Not what i say but what the facts are. Keep believing that 'Meucci spins it more' bs all you want.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
FWIW, I have a Meucci cue in the attic somewhere with a warped shaft and a bad tip. It's 90's era.