I finally beat em

8BALLDELUXE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ghost in a race to 10, playing 8 ball . The way I play is off the break, no BIH. I've beat the ghost before in shorter races to 3 and 5 but never 10. I put together my first 3 pack doing it, now if I can do that in league this upcoming week that would be great.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
No BIH after the break is really tough. But that is really the way I believe the ghost should be played. It's much better practice and more like the real game. Congrats to you...very good shootng. Johnnyt

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
congratulations! What do you attribute your success to? Improved shot making, positioning, or strategy?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
congratulations! What do you attribute your success to? Improved shot making, positioning, or strategy?

I bet he Stopped talkin' and started chalkin'.;)

I love your pinball machine, Deluxe. It's the only I played much.

Jeff Livingston

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
No BIH after the break is really tough. But that is really the way I believe the ghost should be played. It's much better practice and more like the real game. Congrats to you...very good shootng. Johnnyt

Yeah Johnny, but nowhere near as restricting as it would be in 9 ball, but ... I like his idea of playing 8 ball. Puts your mind to work picking a pattern that will allow you to get all the way out.

That pattern often does lie hidden in the balls in 8 ball, as opposed to 9 ball where all too often you are simply stymied by the lie of the balls and the restriction to hit the lowest numbered ball first.

GOD I wish I had the patience, interest, desire ... call it what you will, to go downstairs just a few steps to my basement and a GC that sits there doing nothing, and practice. I admire the drive of those who enjoy it and can do it for hours.

I really wish I could. I try and get bored out of my mind in a matter of minutes. :shrug: Keep up the good play!

8BALLDELUXE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attribute my success to a boat load of practice. I've really been working on my break, if you don't make one on the break the ghost wins at least the way I play.

When your playing the ghost you learn at least I have to run out cause if you play safe the ghost wins. Some of the shots I played yesterday are not the shots I would normally take like hard kick shots or caroms, but playing the ghost if you miss he wins.

The bad part is I haven't been putting in the time to play safe, I've just been on runout mode.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Good stuff there mister. I need to find the rules to ghost. I have no idea how it plays. It sounds like something for a bipolar masochist/sadist like me would like

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff there mister. I need to find the rules to ghost. I have no idea how it plays. It sounds like something for a bipolar masochist/sadist like me would like

As I undertand it, your ghost is assumed to be a better player than you therefore if you miss a shot then you lose the game because you assume that your ghost can run out the table no matter what the layout is. There are certain nuances like playing with safeties that means you may not get an automatic lose but for the most part your ghost is a better player so either your run the table or he/she does. I think the OP said that he played a race to 10 and got 10 wins which would mean 10 run-outs (ERO where I'm from) although he didn't say how many times the ghost won

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
As I undertand it, your ghost is assumed to be a better player than you therefore if you miss a shot then you lose the game because you assume that your ghost can run out the table no matter what the layout is. There are certain nuances like playing with safeties that means you may not get an automatic lose but for the most part your ghost is a better player so either your run the table or he/she does. I think the OP said that he played a race to 10 and got 10 wins which would mean 10 run-outs (ERO where I'm from) although he didn't say how many times the ghost won

Interesting sounds like what I do at home. I'd definitely start with 8 bal I have better chances at running out there now. I only last week ran my first 9 ball rack.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loren...Nobody makes a ball on the break every time...especially with 8 ball. Take BIH after the break, if you need to. Regardless, there is no defense. If you miss, you lose...period.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Interesting sounds like what I do at home. I'd definitely start with 8 bal I have better chances at running out there now. I only last week ran my first 9 ball rack.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting. I can't believe you take a nothing on the break as a loss.. I struggle with ghost 8 ball. I can beat the 9 ball ghost about 40% of the time in a race to 11 but 8 ball I've yet to beat the ghost in a long race. Actually the only one I've won is a race to 3 and that's with bih after the break. Impressive shooting.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think I read here once where in playing the 8 Ball ghost you don't use a full rack, you rack using a full suit of either stripes or solids and 3 (or 4?) balls of the other suit, then after the break you take ball in hand. Does that sound right?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I read here once where in playing the 8 Ball ghost you don't use a full rack, you rack using a full suit of either stripes or solids and 3 (or 4?) balls of the other suit, then after the break you take ball in hand. Does that sound right?

It's a variation. I know when I first started I racked and broke a full rack and took 2-3 balls off the table of the suit I was choosing.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That's great shooting 8BALL!!!!
I have beat the ghost in 8 ball in races to 1 several times, even races to 2 a couple times but that's it so far. Now that I think about it I am not entirely sure The Ghost even knew he was playing. :rotflmao1:

8BALLDELUXE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly never knew there were actual rules I playing the ghost.

Here are my rules, these work for me as a real league night scenario;

ERO off the break is a win, that means I must make a ball off the break to win. No ball in hands not even off the break, my opponent in league does not give me that option nor does the ghost. No safeties or leave play, if you miss you lose.

When I played a few weeks ago I beat the ghost 10-8, meaning I had 10 break and runs out of 18 games a personal record for me. I played last night again and lost 2-10. Typically I can get 3 from the ghost. That session against the ghost the pockets were big enough to fit basketballs in, we've all had a night to where we made every shot and had whitey on a string and your breaks were working, I finally had mine.