Bought a Schon STL-3 to sell

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...but notice that I didn't post this in the FOR SALE section, lol. At least that's how I sold the purchase to my wife. I recently picked up a Meucci w/ pro shaft which plays great. Took time to adjust, but I love it. Super soft hit and predictable deflection. Dare I say, "well made"?

This Schon though...
I've never owned a steel jointed cue because I never liked a stiff hit. The first shot with it felt like a rock. I gave myself the "just what I thought" chuckle, then kept shooting. I was in dead stroke from then on. It feels like a hammer when you catch a nail just right and it's effortless. Even though it does hit stiff, you get the right amount of feedback to adjust quickly. I could tell within 5 minutes that it was the best hitting cue I've owned, and that things were going to change in my case. Sadly, my favorite custom Steve Klapp with 2 shafts and freshly made custom JPs just made it to the third row and possibly the chopping block.

I'm not even sure what makes the Schon feel so good. It's not my favorite design. It's not wrapless. It makes a weird "ping" sound. It's not the weight I usually play with. And...it's great. I'm glad that someone sold one cheap enough to make me buy it.

I read somewhere that they don't make Schons like they use to. Well, apparently they still make them pretty good.

Attachments

• schon.jpg
    schon.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,000

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...but notice that I didn't post this in the FOR SALE section, lol. At least that's how I sold the purchase to my wife. I recently picked up a Meucci w/ pro shaft which plays great. Took time to adjust, but I love it. Super soft hit and predictable deflection. Dare I say, "well made"?

This Schon though...
I've never owned a steel jointed cue because I never liked a stiff hit. The first shot with it felt like a rock. I gave myself the "just what I thought" chuckle, then kept shooting. I was in dead stroke from then on. It feels like a hammer when you catch a nail just right and it's effortless. Even though it does hit stiff, you get the right amount of feedback to adjust quickly. I could tell within 5 minutes that it was the best hitting cue I've owned, and that things were going to change in my case. Sadly, my favorite custom Steve Klapp with 2 shafts and freshly made custom JPs just made it to the third row and possibly the chopping block.

I'm not even sure what makes the Schon feel so good. It's not my favorite design. It's not wrapless. It makes a weird "ping" sound. It's not the weight I usually play with. And...it's great. I'm glad that someone sold one cheap enough to make me buy it.

I read somewhere that they don't make Schons like they use to. Well, apparently they still make them pretty good.
See if you can locate a Schon IV shaft, (ivory ferrule), and you'll be in for another pleasant surprise !!!

kempf80

Registered
That's a very nice looking cue. I also like simple but elegant designs which highlight the original texture of the wood materials Bocote is my favourite and BEM is a close second. :)

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a STL6 last week. I had a Meucci with the pro shaft. It was well made & to be honest I only returned it because I was to impatient to work through the difference with the shot. I'm considering ordering another meucci brick & mortar 3 with either exposed wrap or brown leather.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, what kind of tip do you have on that? I ask because my local cue mechanic mentioned doing something like the "Milk Dud" treatment to Elkmasters, and how it produced a "tink" sound when contacting the cue.

I wonder how much of that is Schon and how much is tip selection.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, what kind of tip do you have on that? I ask because my local cue mechanic mentioned doing something like the "Milk Dud" treatment to Elkmasters, and how it produced a "tink" sound when contacting the cue.

I wonder how much of that is Schon and how much is tip selection.

It had the standard hard schon tip on it. I did decide the soft hit of a meucci was more my style, so now I own 3 meuccis. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums