Schon Vs Jacoby

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched the site & didn’t find anything newer than 2014. I own a Schon but many say the new schons aren’t as nice as the old ones. Which is better now days ?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like schons better than most cues
i would prefer a schon

in all fairness ,i never had a jacoby

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both make a great playing cue and the current Schons are excellent IMO. I think there was a brief period at the end of Evan’s time there where things weren’t quite firing on all cylinders, but Jon is doing good stuff there now. I have friends who have recent Schons and they’re great playing cues. They’re also very consistent, a Schon almost always feels like a Schon.

Jacoby is the same, great cues. They offer a lot of customization and multiple joint types. They vary a little more in weight and balance than Schon does typically. I’ve loved some and not loved others. But that can be good because they can make a cue to fit your preferences. For example if you like a soft hit, rear balanced cue you’d have a tough time getting that with Schon.

Overall, in my opinion, they’re of equal quality and both good choices. Schon tends to be closer to my preferences for a playing cue personally. I don’t own either presently but have had both in the past.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pretty much agree with Slide but would add and it's only my opinion, I think the Schons retain their value better. That is not to say they are made better,look better,or anything else.

The bottom line is its a matter of individual preference.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Schon in my opinion
Stainless steel piloted for Schon vs radial pin typically for Jacoby, not exactly apples and apples.
Either way just not a big Jacoby fan.
I hear the hybrid edge whatever Jacoby shafts hit pretty good

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like everyone else has said; it's going to be personal preference.

I prefer a soft hitting cue with good feedback and I've never found that in a Schon no matter how many I've test hit with; they always feel like they have very "stiff" hits. But, Jacoby cues have a nicer hit and feel for what I prefer in a cue.

That being said, Schons do tend to hold their value a bit more but I just prefer not playing with them. I also think they look better than most Jacoby's, as well, because Jacoby likes to use (odd?) stones and colors for their inlays.

If it were up to me, I'd prefer having a Jacoby.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I personally prefer the Jacoby cues. I have owned 4 different ones now and like the way they play. I especially like the Hybrid Edge shaft.

That being said I think 99.9 % of Jacoby designs are tacky and horrible looking. I wish they would do more traditional designs with sharp points veneers and smaller inlays. Old school styles but that's just me.

Thanks

Kevin

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I think it is somewhat unfair to say one is better that the other without having tried several from each company yourself. If resale value is your only concern that is one thing, if it's a cue you'd like to play with that's another.
Every single cue manufacturer and custom cue maker has made some dogs as well as some incredible cues. It's wood after all and is unpredictable. That plus the feedback you feel from a cue may be totally different than what the next person likes or wants in a cue.
I had this very conversation with Dan Janes once concerning a cue they made years ago. It may be worth $400.00 but it played unfreakinbelieveable. I offered the guy $2000.00 for it, yea he said no Thanks. Damn it...
My advice is to hit with some from both builders and decide which you like and buy it on the spot!

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Get Mezz, I tested both and like Jacoby better but keep in mind that not every cue plays the same. Shaft wood is never the same..

Mezz keeps value, plays better and is always made 100% perfect.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Mezz, I tested both and like Jacoby better but keep in mind that not every cue plays the same. Shaft wood is never the same..

Mezz keeps value, plays better and is always made 100% perfect.

He speaketh the truth-eth!

Seriously, Mezz is where it's at!