Thankyou to Coach Johan and Coach Jones - Go USA!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dedicated thread to thanking both coaches Johan Ruijsink and Jeremy Jones.

First, coach Johan...for him to leave a super successful and well stocked team Europe a few years ago and take up an enormous challenge of rehabilitating team USA was the epitome of putting the sport of pocket billiards before personal glory.

Johan shouldered every bit of risk and criticism as he took his team building boot camp methodology to the United States and built the team we saw this week.

It didn't happen overnight. In fact the struggles were great. After last year and a bad loss, the late great Mr. Bond conducted an interview with coach Johan where you could hear the frustration but yet he came with solutions and believed team USA could find success once again.

Players on team USA, including Skyler have said working with coach Johan had made him better. The results speak for themselves.

I not only congratulate Coach Johan but I thank him as well for these players that worked with him are all the better for it and American pool will feel the effects for quite a while.

Coach Jeremy Jones. His addition to the team was the X Factor that turned the corner for the American players.

Watching coach Jones between racks, while Johan was like a battalion general, with a stone face and words of strategy, Jeremy appeared to give that brotherly/fatherly smile and comment to keep the player not just focused but positive.

We all have come to enjoy Jeremy coach all of us during his 4 star commentary sessions of matches throughout major tournaments. If he can do that for folks sitting at home, imagine what he did for the players during the Mosconi Cup warm up match victories over team Russia and team England? Having Jeremy table side in the practice room or in the airport with our players, was that little bit of extra chemistry and pool knowledge needed for victory.

I loved watching these two coaches and I absolutely loved the results their team displayed on the table.

Congratulations to team USA. Amazing play in the lions den.
Coach Johan and Coach Jones - Thank You.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First, coach Johan...for him to leave a super successful and well stocked team Europe a few years ago and take up an enormous challenge of rehabilitating dream USA was the epitome of putting the sport of pocket billiards before personal glory.

Johan shouldered every bit of risk and criticism as he took his team building boot camp methodology to the United States and built the team we saw this week.

It didn't happen overnight. In fact the struggles were great. After last year and a bad loss, the late great Mr. Bond conducted an interview with coach Johan where you could hear the frustration but yet he came with solutions and believed team USA could find success once again.

Players on team USA, including Skyler have said working with coach Johan had made him better. The results speak for themselves.

I not only congratulate Coach Johan but I thank him as well for these players that worked with him are all the better for it and American pool will feel the effects for quite a while.

Coach Jeremy Jones. His addition to the team was the X Factor that turned the corner for the American players.

Watching coach Jones between racks, while Johan was like a battalion general, with a stone face and words of strategy, Jeremy appeared to give that brotherly/fatherly smile and comment to keep the player not just focused but positive.

We all have come to enjoy Jeremy coach all of us during his 4 star commentary sessions of matches throughout major tournaments. If he can do that for folks sitting at home, imagine what he did for the players during the Mosconi Cup warm up match victories over team Russia and team England? Having Jeremy table side in the practice room or in the airport with our players, was that little bit of extra chemistry and pool knowledge needed for victory.

I loved watching these two coaches and I absolutely loved the results their team displayed on the table.

+1

Well said....well deserved!

td

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Did he change their stroke ?
Seems like, everyone has the long slow back stroke now.
No more loosey-goosey fire away stroke .

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First, coach Johan...for him to leave a super successful and well stocked team Europe a few years ago and take up an enormous challenge of rehabilitating dream USA was the epitome of putting the sport of pocket billiards before personal glory.

Attachments

• 47575805_10156671637920115_7877512904730214400_o.jpg
    47575805_10156671637920115_7877512904730214400_o.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 425

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Did he change their stroke ?
Seems like, everyone has the long slow back stroke now.
No more loosey-goosey fire away stroke .

They rented a house to eliminate distractions, stay away from partying, instilled dicipline and hard work. Best coaches we have had in a few years.

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
robots

They rented a house to eliminate distractions, stay away from partying, instilled dicipline and hard work. Best coaches we have had in a few years.

Hang on now........does that not make them robots !:cool::cool:.........lol......j\j . I have never believed in the robot analogy , when a player plays perfect..........I see them as a well oiled machine .

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johan was in the unenviable position of being called a traitor by a lot of Euro fans and being rejected by a lot of American fans who were incensed that somehow we couldn't find a coach from the USA to take us to the win. I said from the beginning that it was a smart move. Here was a guy who knew how to win. If we truly suck compared to Europe, which I didn't believe, then no harm would be done. If it was a matter of actual coaching and taking a different approach, then perhaps we could learn something from the experience, even if he didn't stick around.

I too, heard that interview that Mr. Bond did and I was concerned that Johan wouldn't come back this year. You could tell that he was a bit frustrated he didn't have the kind of access to the team that he wanted and admittedly, that is tough to do with a bunch of individuals who all have to travel around to different places in an effort to make a living. But this year he was able to get a lot more in terms of commitment from the team and we saw the fruits of that labor. What I loved about JJ was he was also on board with Johan from what I read, and he embraced the coach and methods and was there to do everything he could to help make our guys better.

Hats off to both coaches. I hope they can both return next year.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johan was in the unenviable position of being called a traitor by a lot of Euro fans and being rejected by a lot of American fans who were incensed that somehow we couldn't find a coach from the USA to take us to the win. I said from the beginning that it was a smart move. Here was a guy who knew how to win. If we truly suck compared to Europe, which I didn't believe, then no harm would be done. If it was a matter of actual coaching and taking a different approach, then perhaps we could learn something from the experience, even if he didn't stick around.

I too, heard that interview that Mr. Bond did and I was concerned that Johan wouldn't come back this year. You could tell that he was a bit frustrated he didn't have the kind of access to the team that he wanted and admittedly, that is tough to do with a bunch of individuals who all have to travel around to different places in an effort to make a living. But this year he was able to get a lot more in terms of commitment from the team and we saw the fruits of that labor. What I loved about JJ was he was also on board with Johan from what I read, and he embraced the coach and methods and was there to do everything he could to help make our guys better.

Hats off to both coaches. I hope they can both return next year.

This was very well written. And spot on.

For those who didn't hear the interview, the link at americanbilliardradio.com is now down...but this was the question and answer during the interview that I transcribed from the audio a year ago....

After a crushing defeat in Vegas....

Mr. Bond: If they ask you to come back, will you?

Coach Johan : (notable quotes below not in order)

"I would think about it. I'm not afraid of the challenge but I'm not going to get into a challenge where there's no solution. We need to change a couple of things."

"There needs to be some changes in my approach and how the industry with American pool is set up to give us a chance"

"As long as the industry and backers don't invest in a good education for players and coaches and support the top players, then it will be very hard."

"I go to the world 9 ball championships after this, I fly out tomorrow, these guys go to bar table tournaments because that's how they earn their money...while Europeans play 9 ball on new cloth and new tables two times a month in high pressure tournaments and American players don't."

"There seems to be a gap in the talent development that needs to be fixed."

The man could be the greatest pool coach that's ever lived.