Tips... Are we fooling Ourselves?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just switched from an expensive Kamui tip to a Le Professional ( Le Pro) tip which cost me $.50. I can not tell the difference. But now I can burnish it normally on laminate and not the crap you can't do with a multi-layered tip, plus replace it 60 times. Let's face it....do you need to be a Fargo 700+ to tell the difference between a $30 tip and one for $.50?

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations. You won the LePro lottery.

Single press tips tend to be ver inconsistent. One will be great. Another will flake apart. Another will be soft. Another will feel more medium.

Layered tips in theory should consistent in all those ways.

Also in theory both single press and layered can both mushroom. LePros were bad for me. I felt like I was buying and using every tip tool on the market. Now that I’ve switched to a medium layered tip, I feel like I’m doing less maintenance. Maybe because it is a medium tip. But LePros are commonly rated medium but my experience I find them to be soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just switched from an expensive Kamui tip to a Le Professional ( Le Pro) tip which cost me $.50. I can not tell the difference. But now I can burnish it normally on laminate and not the crap you can't do with a multi-layered tip, plus replace it 60 times. Let's face it....do you need to be a Fargo 700+ to tell the difference between a $30 tip and one for $.50?

Are we fooling ourselves? I don’t know. I play with a Triangle.

Freddie <~~~ often called a fool

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I use a tip press and press my LePros. I had an unfortunate incident where a LePro failed in a big tournament (the one time I didn't have a spare shaft). Apart from that, I find the performance of the (pressed) LePros to be excellent. I have seen layered tips fail as well, btw.

I just got so tired of the constant glazing and other problems with layered tips. My pressed LePros seem actually to be less maintainance intensive than layered tips, if you can believe that and I don't have to worry about delaminations and other "sneaky" problems that crop up with the layered tips.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i could control only one aspect of the cue i had to use for the rest of my life, it would be the tip.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After trying many cheap and expensive layered tips I'm back to Triangles.
I get them installed for $13.00.
And I cant tell the difference other than I seem to miscue less with the Triangles.
I do use premium chalk.
Russian Magic or Blue Diamond.
Oh! Am I fooling myself with expensive chalk?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No fooling, just triangle.

Yup hard pressed Triangle. Cheap and easily maintained. The longer I'm in the game the more convinced I am that old school is the best school.
When they come out with a $75 tip I am sure it will be the best..LOL.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Are we fooling ourselves? I don’t know. I play with a Triangle.

Freddie <~~~ often called a fool

Triangles are cheap also. I would love to see a top professional show me the difference between Le Pro or Triangle tips and the most expensive layered tips.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an open mind on this subject but will relate the following.

I just installed a G2M on my cue. The tip has that nice fibering (is that even a word?) when you shape the top of it and I'm liking it very much. Just before I installed the G2, I played with my secondary shaft, which I had forgeten, had a Kaumui black SS on it.

I very much liked the hit of both these tips and my recollection is that you cannot get the same from a single layered tip. My reason for saying that is that as the tip wears down, you get a brand new layer of fresh leather as you wear down the tip and new rings of leather are exposed.

Well, anywhos, that's my take on it.

Lou Figueroa

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Thanks for reminding me.

I just ordered 7 Triangle 14mm tips for $10.57 on ebay. I have experienced a much wider variation in quality with le pro. I don't recall ever having a Triangle tip that did not perform as expected.

I use a 14mm tip for a 13mm shaft. That way I will to be cutting off any part of the tip that might be a little flakey.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
.....snip........ as the tip wears down, you get a brand new layer of fresh leather as you wear down the tip and new rings of leather are exposed.

Lou Figueroa

My take on layered tips is that with every "brand new layer" you get another layer of glue. I have experienced miss cues due to the glue layer. Look for the fly specks on the cue ball. That is glue from the tip.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Triangle rules.

Well, Triangle wins so far. Have you re-tipped your REVO with the triangle. Predator recommends their multi layer tip for the REVO but I can't tell the difference.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have an open mind on this subject but will relate the following.

I just installed a G2M on my cue. The tip has that nice fibering (is that even a word?) when you shape the top of it and I'm liking it very much. Just before I installed the G2, I played with my secondary shaft, which I had forgeten, had a Kaumui black SS on it.

I very much liked the hit of both these tips and my recollection is that you cannot get the same from a single layered tip. My reason for saying that is that as the tip wears down, you get a brand new layer of fresh leather as you wear down the tip and new rings of leather are exposed.

Lou Figueroa

I do know that Kamui tips mushroom out with a few hundred shots. Had to take it back to the guy with the lathe to fix it. With a standard single layer tip, wetting it with spit and rubbing it on a laminate will burnish it. Not supposed to do that with a multi layered tip (according to the experts).

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, Triangle wins so far. Have you re-tipped your REVO with the triangle. Predator recommends their multi layer tip for the REVO but I can't tell the difference.

The Triangle on the REVO is about 1 year old with plenty on time on it. No miscues. It is holding up better than any tip I have ever had. I have a few Predator softs in stock but will use the Triangle again and again.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know that Kamui tips mushroom out with a few hundred shots. Had to take it back to the guy with the lathe to fix it. With a standard single layer tip, wetting it with spit and rubbing it on a laminate will burnish it. Not supposed to do that with a multi layered tip (according to the experts).

I have never -- going back to the days of primo French Champion tips -- not had a tip that didn't mushroom.

In my experience, they all do and it's part of the the deal that you have to trim them a bit. Now, I suppose you could crush the bejezus out of a tip in a vice but that is not the norm, and I don't believe it should be. I like a tip with a little life and spring to it.

Lou Figueroa